Defunding the post office to rig an election

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm fine with voting in person, but I think deployed military and Trump's family living in DC but registered elsewhere might have an issue with it.

But again, if absolutely nobody can vote via absentee ballot, I'm cool with it.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I think the motivated reasoning is a trip.

The pro trump people are like, "What's the big deal? He's just defunding the post office so he can win the election. So what?"

If Hillary won and did that . . . .
Once again there is nothing Trump can do that wont be defended by his cult. Republicans have shown time and time again they want less people voting.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I think the motivated reasoning is a trip.

The pro trump people are like, "What's the big deal? He's just defunding the post office so he can win the election. So what?"

If Hillary won and did that . . . .
Adolf Twittler screams NO FAIR because all the votes are not for him.

How many people in flyover states vote by mail?

Trumby votes by mail.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Vote in person. Problem solved.
I've never seen a polling station that wasn't configured to socially distance the voter from everyone else inside the building. There's really no reason a polling station couldn't be set up outside on a part of a football field at the local high school.

In terms of protecting people from the China Virus, voting in person is way safer that shopping for groceries. Which almost everyone does every single week.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I've never seen a polling station that wasn't configured to socially distance the voter from everyone else inside the building. There's really no reason a polling station couldn't be set up outside on a part of a football field at the local high school.

In terms of protecting people from the China Virus, voting in person is way safer that shopping for groceries. Which almost everyone does every single week.

That is a fair point. As long as everyone wears a mask and keeps their distance, it's probably fine.

Maybe allow polling locations to stay open longer.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
25 Billion dollars for the Post Office to handle mail in votes seems like a lot. I’m not opposed to it, but that’s a big pile of money.

Reactions: Ifallalot

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
25 Billion dollars for the Post Office to handle mail in votes seems like a lot. I’m not opposed to it, but that’s a big pile of money.
So if I have this right 3.5 billion is to handle the ballots but the whole package is 25 billion for the post office?

What do they do at Christmas time?

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It seems like a lot because it is a lot and that's not what it's for by a long shot.

It's a complete re-funding, new vehicles, other infrastructure etc.

It's not $25B to deal with absentee ballots.

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I just got that from a talking head on CNN. Then I looked up a CNN article and they clarified that the estimate for the mail in ballots was 3.5 billion of the 25 billion total

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Like El Ogro says, we're getting the leadership we deserve.
Trump2020 - let's see what's next!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The "stealing the election" claim is pretty dumb.
I agree. It’s actually a little scary that he’s talking that way. I just went back and reread the CNN article again and it’s really poorly written. Kind of unclear. In part because they’re quoting Trump so who knows what reality is.That is a LOT of dough when people can’t afford to buy food, pay rent or go to work.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
No matter how this goes it won't be any harder to vote in 2020 than it ever has been before. The hysterical claims to the contrary notwithstanding.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Bottom line, Trump is trying to make it harder to vote like Republicans always do. A sidenote Trump votes by mail.
the funniest part is a lot of his voters in rural areas would benefit from better postal service coverage especially in these times.
But they will be convinced to vote against their best interests like they always do.

Reactions: mundus

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It seems like a lot because it is a lot and that's not what it's for by a long shot.

It's a complete re-funding, new vehicles, other infrastructure etc.

It's not $25B to deal with absentee ballots.
Don't forget administrative costs. Its always administrative costs

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
What do they do at Christmas time?
They probably don’t cut overtime or remove mail sorting machines, for starters.

LOUIS DEJOY: We are at the beginning of a transformative process. Our goal is to change and improve the Postal Service.

KING: He has reassigned or displaced 23 postal executives. He's changed delivery policies, banned overtime and done other things to cut costs. So what has this all meant for employees? Kimberly Karol is the president of the Iowa Postal Workers Union and a postal clerk herself in Waterloo, Iowa. Hi.

KIMBERLY KAROL: Good morning.

KING: Are you feeling these changes that are being made in Iowa?

KAROL: Yes, we are beginning to see those changes and how it is impacting the mail. Mail is beginning to pile up in our offices, and we're seeing equipment being removed. So we are beginning to see the impact of those changes.

KING: Curious - I hadn't heard about this one - equipment being removed. What equipment?

KAROL: The sorting equipment that we use to process mail for delivery. In Iowa, we are losing machines. And they already in Waterloo were losing one of those machines. So that also hinders our ability to process mail in the way that we had in the past.

IMO, any rigging or cheating done by one side could likely be done by the other as well, so I really doubt any of this will change the outcome of the election.

What I think it will do is add to the uncertainty surrounding the elections and bolster any claims by POTUS that his eventual loss is illegitimate. Anything to increase chaos and distrust in our institutions.

Reactions: Woke AF