Deeply Conflicted -or- The Article That Made ifallalot Love Wonkette

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I despise the term "tone deaf," but this is a textbook example of it by the sheriff's department

don't they have something with at least a modicum of PR knowledge?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
He can’t sell merch with someone’s likeness on it without a written release. He might be able to show the music videos as long as they are not monetized.

This is settled law.

From the article…

”If the video was taken someplace where the cops had a reasonable expectation of privacy, that would be one thing. It wasn't. It was taken in someone else's home. Police also do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy while doing their jobs, because their job is supposed to be working for the public.”

It doesn‘t matter whether they had an expectation of privacy. You can’t monetize someone’s likeness without their written permission. Period.

And they had a warrant.

What did the cops do wrong?

Now, I personally think drug laws are bullshit and asset forfeiture rules are especially shitty.

The warrant also mentioned a kidnapping.

So someone had enough probable cause to get a judge to sign a warrant.

If you’re a cop and you’re given a warrant that says ”look for drugs, money, and evidence of a kidnapping” what are you supposed to do? You’re supposed to search the house.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
He can’t sell merch with someone’s likeness on it without a written release. He might be able to show the music videos as long as they are not monetized.

This is settled law.

From the article…

”If the video was taken someplace where the cops had a reasonable expectation of privacy, that would be one thing. It wasn't. It was taken in someone else's home. Police also do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy while doing their jobs, because their job is supposed to be working for the public.”

It doesn‘t matter whether they had an expectation of privacy. You can’t monetize someone’s likeness without their written permission. Period.

And they had a warrant.

Now, I personally think drug laws are bullshit and asset forfeiture rules are especially shitty.

If you’re a cop and you’re given a warrant that says ”look for drugs, money, and evidence of a kidnapping” what are you supposed to do? You’re supposed to search the house.
Pretty sure cops never have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they’re on the job

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

This is settled law.

From the article…

And they had a warrant.

Ask your pig friend at the dojo what he thinks about this and report back!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

“Despite the nuances in fair use law, one thing is crystal clear: works cannot be copied for commercial use. For this reason, fair use will not apply to merchandise for the vast majority of cases.”

what you just quoted has nothing to do with the claims you've made in this thread

holy fk

DUFFMAN!

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

“Despite the nuances in fair use law, one thing is crystal clear: works cannot be copied for commercial use. For this reason, fair use will not apply to merchandise for the vast majority of cases.”
I was referring to your claim that using your likeness in a video is illegal, which is flat out wrong.
I don't know why we're talking about T-shirts now.