deep water mining

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
My favorite story about deep water mining is when the CIA setup a shell company and pretended they were deep water mining but really they found a sink Russian sub that was missing and tried to pull it up from the ocean floor
Howard Hughes funded Glomar Explorer. Met a guy from Texas in Hana who said he was an engineer working on the ship mining nickel modules on the ocean floor

Last edited:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Driving over that bridge IS a trip in itself. It's more of a climb to the middle of the arch that you might think. And kind of a blind ridge too, in that you can see as far across the whole span as you might expect.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Howard Hughes funded Glomar Explorer. Met a guy from Texas in Hana who said he was an engineer working on the ship mining nickel modules on the ocean floor
I thought I remember reading they used Howard Hughes as a shell and CIA funded the entire thing in exchange cause they wanted to operate in secret

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
John Craven one of the PHDs at UH I wanted to study under turned out to be working for the CIA for this and all kinds of other special projects. He was one of the main proponents and faces of the "manganese nodule" project. He was also involved with the Navy's porpoise project over at coconut island as mine sweeper and placers during the vietnam war. Sketchy guy who hid behind his science role. Same for my other profs doing work at Cern and Batelle using atom blasters to design better weapons under the guise of science.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Back in the day, they were searching for maganese.

Funny how they couldn't keep this a secret from Jack Anderson, but 'they' can keep bigger secrets about the shape of...oh never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
John Craven one of the PHDs at UH I wanted to study under turned out to be working for the CIA for this and all kinds of other special projects. He was one of the main proponents and faces of the "manganese nodule" project. He was also involved with the Navy's porpoise project over at coconut island as mine sweeper and placers during the vietnam war. Sketchy guy who hid behind his science role. Same for my other profs doing work at Cern and Batelle using atom blasters to design better weapons under the guise of science.
A lot of professors do research for defense because it pays