Deconditioning

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I interrupted my barbell program for three weeks to focus on the half marathon race. Went back to it last Friday. I scaled back both reps and weight and still got some serious DOMS.

How long can you go before noticeably deconditioning? Is there amy realible method for dosing after a lay off period?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Lifting: 3 days

Guitar: a day

I got sick, didn't lift for a week and went back still sick and rack pulled 2.5 lbs under my max, which surprised me.

But it was heavy as fuck.

And I put it down, I screamed, "FUCK!"

It just came out.

I try not to make noise at the gym.

14 year old Chinese weight lifter girls are dead lifting more than I.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I interrupted my barbell program for three weeks to focus on the half marathon race. Went back to it last Friday. I scaled back both reps and weight and still got some serious DOMS.

How long can you go before noticeably deconditioning? Is there amy realible method for dosing after a lay off period?
Im too baked to look it up rn but if recall it happens fast. way fast. Like in a couple day bro before you start to loose your gains.

after a layoff the short answer is reduce volume and or intensity/weight and start the program over. Dan John is a big fan of sticking with what works in terms of programming vs shopping around. I’ve always liked 5x5 or ladders ie 1,2,3,2,1 or 1,2,3,4,5 or 5,4,3,2,1 etc

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Im too baked to look it up rn but if recall it happens fast. way fast. Like in a couple day bro before you start to loose your gains.

after a layoff the short answer is reduce volume and or intensity/weight and start the program over. Dan John is a big fan of sticking with what works in terms of programming vs shopping around. I’ve always liked 5x5 or ladders ie 1,2,3,2,1 or 1,2,3,4,5 or 5,4,3,2,1 etc
I've always used this article as my excuse for strength training only once a week. I'll happily run three times a week, but for me lifting the barbell is like making a kid do chores. Also running for me has become an end in itself. Strength training will always be a means to an end- the end being healthy aging and being able to surf.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've always used this article as my excuse for strength training only once a week. I'll happily run three times a week, but for me lifting the barbell is like making a kid do chores. Also running for me has become an end in itself. Strength training will always be a means to an end- the end being healthy aging and being able to surf.

Im all about daily training and maintenance. It makes sense logically along with appealing to my lazy side. So I try to get in 20 minutes of strenuous exercise/GPP most days. Some days more others less. Td it was gym ring standing work and kb pressing ladders

“If it is important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it at all.” DAN JOHN

Train appropriate to your age.
Train with appropriate reps, sets, loads and exercises.
Train with some fun.
Train with passion.

also Dan John

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
For someone who doesn't like lifting, you could lift once a week.

Dead lift, over head press, and some kind of pull.

Hang cleans would be good too.

I'm a mess and I been getting away with heavy rack pulls once a week.

Everyone should at least do that.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
After having some coffee/ripping the morning cones I think they easiest most effective/efficient way to maintain strength would be daily loaded carries

Ive posted this before but after having incredible success gaining a lot of functional strength and muscle by following a strict diet of them I thought how since you’re not putting a lot of miles on your joints they’d be perfect for old dads and I found my sentiments were echoed by some old and well respected kb heads in a post about them on Pavels strongfirst forum

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Temperament dictates what works.

The key is to find what works.
The older you get the more important imo adhering to what Pavel? calls “minimum effective dose” is in strength and conditioning training. This old rig got a lot miles on it already = Pareto principle training

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The older you get the more important imo adhering to what Pavel? calls “minimum effective dose” is in strength and conditioning training. This old rig got a lot miles on it already = Pareto principle training
Minimum effective dose is good for everyone

I cut way back on my volume.

Reactions: Chocki

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Investigate Mike Mentzer/Aurther Jones/Dorian Yates/Heavy Duty Training. You'll probably wind up doing maybe 2-3 20 minute workouts a week? It works for some people. Very controversial really.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Investigate Mike Mentzer/Aurther Jones/Dorian Yates/Heavy Duty Training. You'll probably wind up doing maybe 2-3 20 minute workouts a week? It works for some people. Very controversial really.
I saw excellent results escalating density traiNing 3-? x 20 minutes a week and dbl kb complexes. I ended up looking like agent Kruger. I will probably get back into them real soon only single kb cnp bc I’m old and lazy and Dan John says you can do worse than just cnp and agent Kruger gets laid. A lot.

IMG_0234.jpeg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think that works for some and not for others.

I tried everything.

In my prime I liked working out 6 days a week for 40 minutes.

Being in the gym every day briefly made the process automatic and enjoyable. It was harder to go infreqently

I worked out with guys who could get stronger by looking at the weights.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

I tried everything.

In my prime I liked working out 6 days a week for 40 minutes.

Being in the gym every day briefly made the process automatic and enjoyable. It was harder to go infreqently

I worked out with guys who could get stronger by looking at the weights.
And I’m gonna end up seeing 8 year olds and full on geriatrics this winter who can ride circles around me (very high caliber skiiers/riders here). But you wont here me whining like a ltitle bitch endlessly abou it smh

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I agree. Nothing works for everybody and nothing will work for some.

Years back, I was lifting a lot of sets on a split. Hours and hours in the gym each week. I was stuck on a plateau. No gains. I'd add more and more volume. Eventually I read some Aurther Jones stuff. Which led me to HDT. I tried it. 3 15-20 minutes a week. Sometimes two. And I started gaining again. I was so over-trained.

I figured I was too old for it to work anymore, but I gave it a go. So far, so good. Numbers are going up and you can see a difference. My genetics were pretty good for this kind of stuff once upon a time. Not world class, but not bad at all. I was down a bit when I started from the two month bout of girardia, so we will see how this goes longer term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and Autoprax

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My biggest obstacle to gains rn is the hatred of whey I developed at some point. Along with whatever program I was doing that produced legit gains (loaded carries/farmers walks, EDT kb complexes, 5x5x5) I was also drinking protein shakes like it was my job. Now I can get one down every once in awhile but not on a consistent enough basis to really add some mass

Reactions: Ifallalot

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009

You would have gained better conditioning for both the run and the weights by continuing to run and lift on alternating days. Lay off one day per week.