Death Valley

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Here we go...

Panamint Valley. The Minietta Belle mine. A National Heritage site. I stayed in the old mine Superintendants cabin for three days. First come, first served. If it's empty, raise the American flag. Had an F18 Hornet fly 30' over the top of me while I was airing my tires down off of Panamint Valley rd. to drive up here. Note: The road up to this mine goes from a good, gradeded dirt road to two tire tracks through the rocks. A decent, high clearance 4WD truck/SUV is good. I saw a family while I was there in a Subaru Forester on this road. Pretty risky with your wife and kids doing something like that.

PB100012.JPGPB100014.JPGPB100023.JPGPB110029.JPGPB110043.JPGPB110035.JPGView attachment 100989View attachment 100991

Attachments

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This had to be one of my all time favorite camping trips. The Minietta Belle mine was established in 1890. All of the old equipment is still there. The whole mountain is honeycombed with tunnels. Multiple levels. Too scary for me to venture into alone.

The cabin is a slice of history frozen in time. A lot of cool pics/posters on the walls. Including the mine history. An old Hollywood movie was filmed there and the movie posters are on the walls. It was clean, no varmints. I just threw a tarp down on the floor with an air mattress and my sleeping bag. Absolutely no water. Somebody had left a truckload of firewood.

It is popular.

I got there at 10:30AM on a Monday morning and an hour and a half later a dude frome LA showed up in his Lexus 4X4 trying to claim. Had to turn away about six carloads of people in the middle of buttfvck Egypt while I occupied the spot.

Last weekend was Panamint Days.

The annual Panamint Valley Festible in Panamint Springs. A lot of people were sliding in for that. I just got there first....PB110037.JPGView attachment 100999PB110048.JPGPB110060.JPGPB100021.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
This trip was the icing on the cake.

I want to go down there again. Darwin Falls. Darwin Springs. An Oasis in the middle of nowhere. Very near Panamint Springs.

Darwin Springs....

A little slice of Paradise in the desert. Trees, a camp site. A big pool at the head of the springs. Full of Coi...How they got there, they are thriving.

Just down the wash is China Garden. Another spring and a mine/mill site.

I call this all Death Valley but it's all NF land outside the National Park boundries. Panamint Valley rd. If you are driving down the center of Panamint Valley, North to South. The east side of the road is inside of Death Valley National Park. The west side is National Forest land. A big difference in what you are allowed to do.

Last edited: