Dear ERBB ... I'm trying to pinpoint a bar in Newport Beach

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Dear ERBB,

I went to a party on Balboa Peninsula over 10 years ago, it was my first time on the island so I don't have the best recollection as i didn't know where I was at the time. The home I went to was near the main road but not exactly on a main road. We went in and the first thing I saw was a giant centerpiece stacked up on a clear coffee table. I'm not even sure how much all of that was worth but it was gone by the end of the night. From the deck on the home your could see this little bar, it was a bit upscale and might of had red ropes and a doorman because it was packed on a holiday, and was probably holding an xmas event.

It wasn't in the main strip of bars and it was like it was planted in the middle of the homes section with no other businesses around. I noticed that all of these really hot older women
were coming out and walking around with younger guys and amazed I asked the party holder what the bar was and what was going on? He said it was a cougar bar and it was full of hot "newport cougs." That was my first time hearing about these cougs and I have wanted to go back ever since. Do you know what bar he was referring to and does it still exist? Also, if not are there any other bars similar that currently exist?

I've been to the quiet woman in CDM but it was mostly older men macking on average women, Javier's didn't have much of a singles scene and the goat hill tavern was too divey.

I've circled the areas where I think the bar existed.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Wait, was the bar on the Island or on the peninsula?

You said you were on Balboa Is. but you circled two spots on the peninsula that are over a mile apart. :unsure:

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Wait, was the bar on the Island or on the peninsula?

You said you were on Balboa Is. but you circled two spots on the peninsula that are over a mile apart. :unsure:
I know it was a long time ago. I don’t remember exactly. It was on the peninsula not the island.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Laventina's used to deliver coke (with pizza). Was part of our pre game ritual.
The only bars over by Laventina's are Brew Co, Cassidys and El Ranchito, none of which are as you described.

Maybe it was The Penninsula?

The two places you circled are far a part. You said you could see the bar from the house? Which location that you circled was the house?

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Just go to Gulfstream on Thursday nights.
hmmm ok cool yes I know where that is.
What about La Cave and CM restaurant?
Laventina's used to deliver coke (with pizza). Was part of our pre game ritual.
The only bars over by Laventina's are Brew Co, Cassidys and El Ranchito, none of which are as you described.

Maybe it was The Penninsula?

The two places you circled are far a part. You said you could see the bar from the house? Which location that you circled was the house?
both locations circled are where I think the bar was located.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
La Cave was my go to. Stiff pour and fun crowd. I don't remember many milfs there before. Order a Sexy Alligator.

There are no bars near Laventina's that fit your description, so it's got to be the other spot you circled.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Dear ERBB,

I went to a party on Balboa Peninsula over 10 years ago, it was my first time on the island so I don't have the best recollection as i didn't know where I was at the time. The home I went to was near the main road but not exactly on a main road. We went in and the first thing I saw was a giant centerpiece stacked up on a clear coffee table. I'm not even sure how much all of that was worth but it was gone by the end of the night. From the deck on the home your could see this little bar, it was a bit upscale and might of had red ropes and a doorman because it was packed on a holiday, and was probably holding an xmas event.

It wasn't in the main strip of bars and it was like it was planted in the middle of the homes section with no other businesses around. I noticed that all of these really hot older women
were coming out and walking around with younger guys and amazed I asked the party holder what the bar was and what was going on? He said it was a cougar bar and it was full of hot "newport cougs." That was my first time hearing about these cougs and I have wanted to go back ever since. Do you know what bar he was referring to and does it still exist? Also, if not are there any other bars similar that currently exist?

I've been to the quiet woman in CDM but it was mostly older men macking on average women, Javier's didn't have much of a singles scene and the goat hill tavern was too divey.

I've circled the areas where I think the bar existed.

Thanks for looking.

I heard about that place once. It is somewhere between Newport Dunes and the Hyatt, or right around there. Please report back.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Go to Maestros in Crystal Cove. Well known for Cougers and GILFS or whatever they Are called.

Easier just to order online though

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Family kept our boat ('65 Columbia 24) @ the Balboa Yacht Basin...right under the office opposite the Galley Resturant late '65-'70.
1573788167965.jpeg

All the hotties worked at the Jolly Roger...
And...Dad's Frozen Banana...for some reason...

Last edited:

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
The first picture would have been a place called Bubbles. Not there anymore. Cant remember the name of the new establishment.
The second pic is in Lido Village. Tons of killer places to go in that area. The best of which is The Cannery. All categories from young hotties to sexy MILFs. Awesome atmosphere. Great place to watch a baseball game and nurse a beer at the bar on a weekend afternoon.

Reactions: keenfish

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Go to Maestros in Crystal Cove. Well known for Cougers and GILFS or whatever they Are called.

Easier just to order online though
you can order a gilf or cougar online?

Rickoray

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2007
SOC CA
True Story. The first and only time I dropped acid was at the Newport Fun Zone 1986... the fun ended when my "bros" left me there... standing on the street corner around 11pm I am starting to panic, a car pulls up, the drive is a cute chick, she asks me if I am lost... I said No but I am stranded and I need a ride to Dana Point. She says, "Jump in I am going there". I can't even process my luck.... At main beach Laguna we get pulled over by the cops. I am fully tripping and she is in hysterics that we are getting pulled over. I calm her down by saying maybe they are pulling us over because your taillight is out... the cop asks... "Why do you think I pulled you over?" She says, "Maybe because my taillight is out..." he laughs and writes her a fix it ticket.... we then proceed to DP... she drops me at my good friend's house who was having a party... the house is a mess from 50 high schoolers with no parents home... still a couple people on the couch and in the kitchen... I couldn't find my friend whos house it is as I didn't want to go home because I was still tripping. I walk into his room and is hooking up with a guy. It is super awkward so I bail... I started walking home and got distracted by a very loud dripping noise in a storm drain, so I sat to listen. At about 3am a lady from the neighborhood walks up with her dog, a french bulldog... I dog pulls a full on Men in Black on me. I got home at about 4am, slept in and the next morning my Mom asked how my night was.... I said, "Fun... the highlight was I got a Balboa Bar... End of Story.

Reactions: teeroi