Dead and company

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My all-time favorite Dead related media is the Veneta film. When Jerry sings BIrd Song it's just the peak of the whole Dead trip. Especially with the naked hippie perched on the pole in the background.
Veneta, Oregon, was plenty granola back in the day (wonder what it is like now). It is where they have the Country Fair, and like any number of "Renaissance" hippy fairs, can be great or not so great...lots depends on the individual. Back in the late 80s, there was a pretty big magic mushroom bust in a commercially operated mushroom farm in Veneta.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love the GD but there is so much new music out there to discover. If I get a Dead itch I just to the Archive and pick a random show, or one I know.

My all-time favorite Dead related media is the Veneta film. When Jerry sings BIrd Song it's just the peak of the whole Dead trip. Especially with the naked hippie perched on the pole in the background.
Top 7 all time favorite Dead shows to listen 1972-08-27...:socrazy:
The show was at Ken Kesey dairy farm and everyone was pretty dosed. If you listen careful you can hear when the band specially Jer' peaks during China Cat Sunflower>Rider:shaka: Show has a great Dark Star with tiger jam:cheers:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
My friend a longtime deadhead built a board (gun) they auctioned off for charity ($10K?) at the recent san diego concert. They gave him 2 tickets and while there he met his new girl friend.
He's making another board for them to auction at their south america concert for a couple tickets.
Never real got into to the Dead went straight to jazz(gabor/django/herb ellis) after 60's folk

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Veneta, Oregon, was plenty granola back in the day (wonder what it is like now).
I don't think it has changed to much. At least it hasn't been developed or anything. Obviously no County Fair last few years, but even Eugene is still fairly what it was 20 years ago with a little growth. Still mostly a medium sized college town, which is a good thing IMO. Biggest Dead let down was when they canceled the Decennial Field Trip in 92. I had mail order tickets for both or maybe even 3 nights, cant remember how any it was. Dead and unannounced special guests in Veneta on Kesey's property same location as annual County Fair with camping and everything that was getting banned at the time elsewhere. Sure it woulda been a trip.

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Passing thru Eugene years back - met an old hippie named Jimbo. Walking thru his place was like a minor rock and roll hall of fame experience ... Neil Young this, Willie Nelson that.. Anyways, Jimbo sat me down at his dinner table and went on about the Dead, Wavy Gravy, and whatever else... and of the story of Jerry showing up and loaning him 10k for a down payment on the house he still lives in. Sounds far-fetched, but it ain't.

• Love

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I don't think it has changed to much. At least it hasn't been developed or anything. Obviously no County Fair last few years, but even Eugene is still fairly what it was 20 years ago with a little growth. Still mostly a medium sized college town, which is a good thing IMO. Biggest Dead let down was when they canceled the Decennial Field Trip in 92. I had mail order tickets for both or maybe even 3 nights, cant remember how any it was. Dead and unannounced special guests in Veneta on Kesey's property same location as annual County Fair with camping and everything that was getting banned at the time elsewhere. Sure it woulda been a trip.
Canceled due to Jer's health right if I remember right? Then he got a little better shape and played a JGB show at Oakland Colesium for Halloween:cheers: Super fun show had a great routine for Oakland would bring litter h20 botttle pre poked one and other full and stem in pocket for bong hits on floor:shaka:

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Passing thru Eugene years back - met an old hippie named Jimbo. Walking thru his place was like a minor rock and roll hall of fame experience ... Neil Young this, Willie Nelson that.. Anyways, Jimbo sat me down at his dinner table and went on about the Dead, Wavy Gravy, and whatever else... and of the story of Jerry showing up and loaning him 10k for a down payment on the house he still lives in. Sounds far-fetched, but it ain't.
The Gnome was notoriously generous with his accumulated wealth.

Many true stories, just like the one you posted, abound.

:bowdown: Jerome.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
had a great routine for Oakland would bring litter h20 botttle pre poked one and other full and stem in pocket for bong hits on floor:shaka:
I had shoreline pretty set up back in the day.
My friend Happy who was 4 years older than us worked there. By the time we were in HS he had that place dialed as he sold LOTS of party favors. We would roll up to the VIP parking line, say his name and get prime free parking.
Then he let us in the side entrance they use to truck in supplies. So obviously no search. We took a 4 foot green bong to one lollapalooza and had an insane time.Smashing pumpkins playing a surprise set on the second stage was a highlight.
:roflmao:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Canceled due to Jer's health right if I remember right? Then he got a little better shape and played a JGB show at Oakland Colesium for Halloween:cheers: Super fun show had a great routine for Oakland would bring litter h20 botttle pre poked one and other full and stem in pocket for bong hits on floor:shaka:
There was a drought that year, the previous winter was super dry, the shows were scheduled for August and summer was hot. That was the main reason, but you're right Jers health was an issue right around that time. I was at that JGB Halloween show in Oakland too. Energy was high and the Werewolf's in London was smokin.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Keeping on the Shoreline theme.. I caught my first two Phish shows at that venue in September of '99. Was the only time I ever saw protestors out front of a venue saying we were devil worshipers as we entered the venue. :roflmao:

Keeping this Dead related, Phil came out during the 2nd set on 9/17 - the first time a member of the Dead joined Phish onstage. Seeing Phil bounce on trampolines with Mike Gordon - after Phil had his liver transplant was special. Warren Haynes showing up was extra special.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Saw the String Cheese Incident at the Fillmore in March of '99. Vince Welnick popped in. Crazy fuck slit his neck in in Sonoma years later.

Side note: my local dive bar had an unusual number of Vince Welnick cd's in the juke box - come to find out his sister, some old, skeleton of a lady, had a place on the beach.

My favorite era of the Dead is everything they did up until Brent joined the band. Brent was talented - but Brent was a bummer.