dave parmenter is a surf guru

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I sold a used Parmenter I got on craigslist a month ago and the guy who bought it is a big fan. Said he has an order in with Dave and he's on Kauai during the pandemic. He didn't tell me any other details.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Podcast was originally from five years ago
U sure brah?

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Nah brah

go to 3:30

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
"Guru" is such a funny term. I'd be willing to bet that most of you(withe exception of a few)could surf just as *good* on a board you shaped than any board that a "guru" shaped for you.

Reactions: tacos

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
What is the Stub-Vector's sweet spot in terms of waves? Would this make a good daily driver type board for shoulder to overhead beach break waves or does it need the longer walls of a point break?

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Vectors were originally the all around midlength, the one board quiver/travel board idea.
over the years I've had a couple vectors and a couple HP longboards and a malolo all gone now.
good boards with the exception of the malolo. I think a chronic bully can be as a good as a vector and my old Patagonia Mako was better than the Malolo which was a bit too big for me.

I have an 8'10" prone paddle board he shaped from Blane I'm currently surfing with. My composite teacher Charlie used to wood skin his SUPs for Blane.

Kimo K, the guy who taught me how to surf in the 60's is his hawaii glasser (Kepuhi Point) so I'll ask.

I'm surprised that he's hanging around on Kauai, as there some bad personal juju there.
but then stevie is there and sometimes the original trustafarian pavel hangs out there.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Speaking of Parmenter

I just remembered when he was on the surf splendor podcast and the interviewer asked him about Lisa Andersen and her movie about to come out and him being in it.

Man you could just hear the rage in Dave’s voice. He handled it well but said something like “I’m here to talk about surfing”

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I saw an insane looking parmy coming up whiIe I was walking down at my local on one off the better days this last swell. He said it was a model named after the leather man....like the pocket knife. Anyone know about that model? 7ftish board.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Speaking of Parmenter

I just remembered when he was on the surf splendor podcast and the interviewer asked him about Lisa Andersen and her movie about to come out and him being in it.

Man you could just hear the rage in Dave’s voice. He handled it well but said something like “I’m here to talk about surfing”
Back story?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Back story?

"he became a professional after only one year of amateur competition – first under the harsh tutelage of Craig Comen, then under the intellectual and misanthropic spell of her first great love, Dave Parmenter, who gave her a stable and healthy family life while transforming her natural talent into a competitive weapon"

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I'm interested in Dave's perspective on quad guns sucking and being too slow and how the single fin gun is the way faster way to go and how guys riding quads in huge surf are slaves to marketing.

- fins are just one component of the design
- If I recall there was a revival in guys riding single fins at Jaws and Mavs that was over and done pretty quick
- How much does marketing dictate what guys want to ride in life or death surf?
- Has he ever paddled and ridden a modern quad gun at maxing Jaws or Mavs from guys like Stretch or Pyzel or Stu Kenson?
hey,,,,did you hear Stretch's interview with,,, don't know the guy's name...surf splendor. I think both their theories are consistent.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
- Has he ever paddled and ridden a modern quad gun at maxing Jaws or Mavs from guys like Stretch or Pyzel or Stu Kenson?

I know Dave has ridden some large reefs around here that break as big as Mavs. That was way back in the day. No idea if he was doing it on a quad though.

You should send him an email and ask him to chime in.