dave parmenter is a surf guru

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
daves smart. get over it. its not the easiest thing to be these days. dont bother asking how i know.

ive had nothing but great interactions with the man. stoked on a current 5 board aleutian juice quiver. all geared toward solid head high or better.

if all you want out of life is to wind up an old man playing in the shore pound theyre probably not the boards for you

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Always liked his writing. I remember a particular good piece many years ago called Iconoclast Now in Surfer I believe. He seems nice?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
i got a beautiful Mpegg from him.

it is THE MOST thorough ordering anything process I've ever been involved in. Some stuff he was asking what i wanted, and i was like, i don't know. what's that? He took the time to explain it.
i mean,,,, pffff,,,,,,when I've ordered boards in the past, and is basically dims, volume glassing where u gonna surf it, what type of surf? , maybe one or 2 short emails and that's that.

Dave's process is overly thorough and very "educational". Maybe because i was interested and kept asking, but I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. (i've learned here on the erbb too). He pointed out design elements i should be looking for in boards for my crappy break, after seeing a few pics and videos. I guess other shapers don't have time for this sht. It was like getting a custom classic car.
rocker, widepoint, thickets point, rails... why , when and how... what are the pros and cons of EACH. Dudes an encyclopedia.

sometimes i go back and read through those emails again :shaka:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Anyone who states their case with clarity and confidence will end up with a fair share of haters.
Agreed, as per my original post.

There's no clarity in contradicting oneself while purporting to have all the answers, making statements that are simply just not true (for instance, that there are no surfer-shapers), and saying stupid stuff like "60 year olds shouldn't ride shortboards" (I know several guys 60+ who do so quite well, so what?), all the while oozing pretentiousness that he's "on another level" than everyone else.

When he claimed not to visit any websites relating to surfing I literally burst out laughing, especially considering his conversation at the beginning of the podcast regarding the present state of surfing and surfboards and surf careers etc.

He really likes to hear himself talk. We've all been stuck in an elevator with guys like him and it's intolerable. He gets a pass because his stuff is surf related.

Reactions: jkb

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Wasnt he pretty big in the whole SUP thing???
dave parmenter is a surf guru , waterman, surfer, and shapesman legend, no doubt.

However...
Dave Parmenter was one of the all time biggest opponents ever of popouts, surftechs, and imported boards.

Then, a few years later Dave proceeded to make a killing with his line of C4 waterman popout china SUPS............

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
dave parmenter is a surf guru , waterman, surfer, and shapesman legend, no doubt.

However...
Dave Parmenter was one of the all time biggest opponents ever of popouts, surftechs, and imported boards.

Then, a few years later Dave proceeded to make a killing with his line of C4 waterman popout china SUPS............
If the majority of the industry decided not to stand with me on the issue I’d at some point say fuck it Ima get paid too. Smart enough to only do it with SUPs and not cheapen the core of his brand.
shrug

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
If the majority of the industry decided not to stand with me on the issue I’d at some point say fook it Ima get paid too. Smart enough to only do it with SUPs and not cheapen the core of his brand.
shrug
I see a 100 Youtube brobras outing every good campsites
, everywhere.

Dave owns his sh!t. At least up north.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid