dave parmenter is a surf guru

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I see a 100 Youtube brobras outing every good campsites
, everywhere.

Dave owns his sh!t. At least up north.
I stand with you on not telling everyone where to go.
More fun to find somewhere and figure it out on your own anyway?
I went to the Armchair Sailor in Newport RI in 2000 and bought a nautical chart of the coast I was gonna surf in CR. I called it the lost coast because so much of it you can’t see from the road. I took some local kids to a place they told me no one had ever surfed before? I surfed alone so much.
Bonzer5 knows where I’m talking about.

Pope John Package aka Johnny Morocco’s crew still knows how to keep a spot secret.

Reactions: sdsurfrat

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I stand with you on not telling everyone where to go.
More fun to find somewhere and figure it out on your own anyway?
I went to the Armchair Sailor in Newport RI in 2000 and bought a nautical chart of the coast I was gonna surf in CR. I called it the lost coast because so much of it you can’t see from the road. I took some local kids to a place they told me no one had ever surfed before? I surfed alone so much.
Bonzer5 knows where I’m talking about.

Pope John Package aka Johnny Morocco’s crew still knows how to keep a spot secret.
It's a Big World and she's a big girl...
Long live The Package!:shaka:

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I won the Package over by asking if I could borrow some videos that had guys like Jeff Hakman and Dane Keoloha in them. He was stoked to have someone he could talk about the Sultan of Speed with.
That and we both think Derek Hynd is wicked awesome.

Last edited:

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Yeah,
He is confusing to listen to sometimes...he comes across as arrogant, but you know he is really isn't...I think it's hard for him to open up on the radio or podcast, or whatever...you kinda want him to just open up and be himself and not be so guarded. He's got so much cool stuff to share...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I loved how you could tell if Sid had been causing trouble the night before based off of his call in surf reports

No one will ever know how much I looked forward to listening to a new one every morning even if I knew it was going to be flat, etc.

If he’d been a good boy you’d either get a very detailed description of the surf or what was going on with the shop, new boards that just came in, etc.

If Sid has been a bad boy and there was waves he’d be all “firing right now at 2nd, why are you losers even listening to this you should be surfing right now!”

Bad night and bad conditions = a very haggard sounding Sid with long pause as the recording starts then “yeah this is Sid with the WB surf report on a Saturday no wait Sunday morning”, another long pause “I’m here at 2nd”, another really long pause “waves suck, Water Bros rules!!!”

Sid was very dedicated to putting that report out every morning rain or shine.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm interested in Dave's perspective on quad guns sucking and being too slow and how the single fin gun is the way faster way to go and how guys riding quads in huge surf are slaves to marketing.

- fins are just one component of the design
- If I recall there was a revival in guys riding single fins at Jaws and Mavs that was over and done pretty quick
- How much does marketing dictate what guys want to ride in life or death surf?
- Has he ever paddled and ridden a modern quad gun at maxing Jaws or Mavs from guys like Stretch or Pyzel or Stu Kenson?

Reactions: paunch23

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm interested in Dave's perspective on quad guns sucking and being too slow and how the single fin gun is the way faster way to go and how guys riding quads in huge surf are slaves to marketing.
Is that what he said?

Would Billy Kemper be winning more if he was on a single > Quad?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I was in the shaping bay with my uncle (big wave surfer) and he was showing me some quad setups that he liked. His dad (big wave pioneer) pops his head in and asks what we're doing. I tell him "Uncle's showing me some quads." He says, "Why you trying to run away from the wave?"

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think the singlefin concept works for point and shoot like he says but I don't think it applies to what's been done in the last 5 or so years with Kemper, Kai, dorian, etc. They're surfing the waves more and more like small waves now and I don't think you can do that on a singlefin.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I think the singlefin concept works for point and shoot like he says but I don't think it applies to what's been done in the last 5 or so years with Kemper, Kai, dorian, etc. They're surfing the waves more and more like small waves now and I don't think you can do that on a singlefin.
daves not alone in his thinking that single fin guns are the fastest point and shoot design.

theres a school of thought shared by some very well respected old school shapers that a single fin presents the least amount drag compared to multifin designs and is thereby faster down the line.

dont know if its true but ive gotten some dumbfounded looks from the uncles when ive suggested that quads are faster

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I think it makes sense conceptually. The multi fin designs allow you to climb and drop to build more speed. But a single just goes - without pumping. The part I question is how sensitive singles can be. They seem more sensitive to having weight in a certain area. I think the big wave guys like the forgiving part of a quad where you can just knife in /weight it Anyway you want