Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"The board was returned to the glasser and things were promptly made right."

Never would have been sold or sent to an excited customer .
Duh

But I wasn't surprised in the least from the stories I'd been hearing for a while. I knew what I was getting into.

And really they're really a marketing/branding agency that sells surfboards. I'm sure they and their fanbois would claim otherwise but really they are.

Riders have made this acceptable obviuosly - industry standard for the last 25 years -
That's what I said in that recent thread.

Nobody agreed with me.

Last edited:

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
That's basically what Album Matt is saying.

He says it's a stringered PU blank but they can do stringerless as well. I'm sure there is a difference in feel since Carbon is more rigid but it's still tempting.
I had a Mescaline in this construction (PU/Carbon) that was like... 5? years old and it felt brand-new. i think this is the way... you do lose that crazy light feeling but the stiffness was nice

@griffinsurfboard mentioned something about keeping the rocker on the stringerless ones...
i guess a rocker bed is used during bagging ... but even so, i had one of my boards scanned and it was pretty twisted.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
No, I just bought an already built one off their site.

I probably would have if I went custom but don't have the patience for that and need something grovely for the fall here.

The dark boards aren't really an issue here at OBSF so that wasn't really a concern.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Went down to the factory this AM to meet the boys and pick up my quiver. I’ve had 4 or 5 Microlights from Manny but these are my first JT shapes. As expected, they feel gooood! Colors are right, glass is flawless and not a single drip of resin in the fin boxes
5’1 Coffin
5’4 Fish
5’7 HP Dad Bod 25FCDB1F-1CD6-4F96-B5A4-453150EC9D49.jpeg95AADF12-FB93-4CD8-8726-0D4AB9F814F8.jpeg

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Went down to the factory this AM to meet the boys and pick up my quiver. I’ve had 4 or 5 Microlights from Manny but these are my first JT shapes. As expected, they feel gooood! Colors are right, glass is flawless and not a single drip of resin in the fin boxes
5’2 Coffin
5’4 Fish
5’7 HP Dad Bod View attachment 97154View attachment 97157
Amazing (Skittles) quiver!! the Fall is lookin bright!!

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and waxurDyl

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Wow, very nice all carbon daily driver quiver.

JTs work really is top notch. Seems like they have it super wired.

Hope they can keep it up if they start to move more volume.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Wow, very nice all carbon daily driver quiver.

JTs work really is top notch. Seems like they have it super wired.

Hope they can keep it up if they start to move more volume.
Thanks! Yeah, the new factory is very tidy, probably one of the cleanest factories I’ve been in and I’ve been in a lot. Just a handful of guys working in a very clean environment that seemed to know the details of every order/board going through. Hanging with them I was given insight to some upcoming board building and industry projects which sounded exciting. Oh...and I ordered a 5’11 Pyzalien and a 6’2 Ghost before leaving with those 3 JTs

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Thanks! Yeah, the new factory is very tidy, probably one of the cleanest factories I’ve been in and I’ve been in a lot. Just a handful of guys working in a very clean environment that seemed to know the details of every order/board going through. Hanging with them I was given insight to some upcoming board building and industry projects which sounded exciting. Oh...and I ordered a 5’11 Pyzalien and a 6’2 Ghost before leaving with those 3 JTs
Is the Ghost pro dims? I was feeling up both a regular 6'0 and a 6'2 Pro Ghost at E.T. the other day and if I was going to walk out with one, probably would have grabbed the Pro, but I'd only be using it for solid Burnout or Breakwall.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

With the margins being higher at their price point, they can probably afford to have every team member QC and know each board coming through. Better attention to detail, not just trying to fly through volume of orders. Better in the long run for business and consumer, IMO.