Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ok, that sounds interesting. PU feel with more durability?
That's basically what Album Matt is saying.

He says it's a stringered PU blank but they can do stringerless as well. I'm sure there is a difference in feel since Carbon is more rigid but it's still tempting.

Reactions: oeste858

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I don’t have anything to add re: carbon. But got to try my buddy’s 6’6” asym Townsend. Damn that’s a fun board. Went surprisingly well in small waves and seems like it would work well when big.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
That's basically what Album Matt is saying.

He says it's a stringered PU blank but they can do stringerless as well. I'm sure there is a difference in feel since Carbon is more rigid but it's still tempting.
Hmmm, I think if I went the PU/Carbon route, I'd want it stringerless.

Seems like full carbon and a stringer would add too much rigidity unless you had a really light glass job.

Reactions: racer1 and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This one keeps texting me late night...

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
This one keeps texting me late night...
Too big for you. I've been checking that out, too. Looks awesome.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I'm scared to take an L on one of these carbon boards though. No way you can resell it for even half of what you paid.
Depends whose name is on it. My JT label carbons take forever to sell, and yeah, for less than half. My carbon Mandala's that I've sold usually sell for 3/4 of what I paid. Its a niche market and Album is kinda on the cusp.
There was a once ridden carbon Twinsman on there the other day. I had it in my cart... Thank god it was gone yesterday

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Depends whose name is on it. My JT label carbons take forever to sell, and yeah, for less than half. My carbon Mandala's that I've sold usually sell for 3/4 of what I paid. Its a niche market and Album is kinda on the cusp.
There was a once ridden carbon Twinsman on there the other day. I had it in my cart... Thank god it was gone yesterday
I didn’t have ANY complaints/issues with my quiver of Mandala Microlights. This was 5yrs ago, some of the very first ones Manny was having Justin do, and way before Justin started the Dark Arts label. I rode them mainly at good shaped waves in good conditions. I didn’t bother riding them in textured surface conditions so I have no input re Justin’s builds/materials in less than ideal waves. But his craftsmanship and attention to detail is ALWAYS above standard. Seems Justin’s brand is growing, should get easier to sell a used one going forward, imo
Left to right:
5’6 Zook
5’4 ASQ-F/Superchunk
5’4 ASQ
5’2 Superchunk2A8F3D88-8222-402C-A4BA-270996F55D8D.jpeg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I kinda want a twinsman

what is the upcharge from Matt on the JT cabron
@silentbutdeadly here you go