Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
damn if the JT Dad Bod and Ronson&Ronson don't look like a nice little 2-board quiver. Or you could go hipster and go with a Deviled Egg & Vegan Fish combo

Reactions: oeste858

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I saw on IG comments he says the board has a dampening stringer, but not a traditional stringer. Anybody know what a dampening stringer is?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I saw on IG comments he says the board has a dampening stringer, but not a traditional stringer. Anybody know what a dampening stringer is?
Maybe a higher-density foam like XTR? Might be some FAQs in the darkartssurf site? Or they are really good about responding to comments or DMs on Insta.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Are they really making Gremlin XL's? The original Gremlin is a fvcking boat already. Not sure how you pack any more foam into that design.
Horses for courses. Not everyone can float a 5’0”.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have two shapes glassed by Justin / Dark Arts.

The quality of the work is insane and these are definitely the lightest / strongest boards I have. They are IMHO on the rigid side of things so if you’re looking for something that ride like an UL 2 1/4” thick PU/PE just make sure you adjust your expectations.

Mine are both Sharp Eye’s one Modern 2 and a HT 2.5. I much prefer the Modern 2 over the HT 2.5. I’m not sure if it’s the shapes, construction or both.

Reactions: Aruka

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Has anybody felt/ridden the dad bod? The photos on the website make it look really curvy - both outline and rocker. Thought it looked like a fun small beachbreak board but the super short length/extra curve has me a little concerned about drive.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Has anybody felt/ridden the dad bod? The photos on the website make it look really curvy - both outline and rocker. Thought it looked like a fun small beachbreak board but the super short length/extra curve has me a little concerned about drive.
It's always hard to tell just from pics but that rocker does look pretty curvy now that you mention it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have two shapes glassed by Justin / Dark Arts.

The quality of the work is insane and these are definitely the lightest / strongest boards I have. They are IMHO on the rigid side of things so if you’re looking for something that ride like an UL 2 1/4” thick PU/PE just make sure you adjust your expectations.

Mine are both Sharp Eye’s one Modern 2 and a HT 2.5. I much prefer the Modern 2 over the HT 2.5. I’m not sure if it’s the shapes, construction or both.
Do you feel like the construction is more suited to something stubby then, where flex is less of a factor?