Dark Arts vs. Varial with Carbon…

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Answer to the OP's question = neither
question - as someone whose really only ridden PU's exclusively - what do these new builds (DA/ Varial) offer besides longer lasting construction and weight? I got some $$ to burn. worth experimenting or dont fix whats not broke? I dont find my PU's to be heavy and Tims PU glassing has always held up well for me.

Jun 23, 2003
North East
Rode my Dark Arts 6’1 Ghost today in a steep overhead reef pass. New swell was raw and I can’t say I did exceedingly well. The board however felt great, noticed good float compared to my Varial Aipa which is ~3 full liters bigger (comparing label to label not that I put too much faith in measurements.). I definitely get the hype on the shape as it inspired confidence paddling into chunks of water that I really didn’t want much to do with. Tech felt good, not corky or chattery just lively and crisp. Tomorrow is likely going to be significantly bigger and while I’m expecting it to very humbling, and possibly painful, I’m sure I have the right boards with me.

Jun 23, 2003
North East
Wrapped up trip at a reef pass 2x OH and pulsing. Steep takeoffs and down the line rights with some cross chop from the trades. Rode a Dark Arts 6’4 Ghost which is significantly beefy for me. Got me into, and more importantly out of spots as current was ripping and peak somewhat shifty. Picked off possibly best right of my life thus far - blind air drop to mid face then parked at bottom solid 2x OH pocket before racing sections.

The tech is proven to me.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Wrapped up trip at a reef pass 2x OH and pulsing. Steep takeoffs and down the line rights with some cross chop from the trades. Rode a Dark Arts 6’4 Ghost which is significantly beefy for me. Got me into, and more importantly out of spots as current was ripping and peak somewhat shifty. Picked off possibly best right of my life thus far - blind air drop to mid face then parked at bottom solid 2x OH pocket before racing sections.

The tech is proven to me.
Sounds like fun...ya lucky bugger! Pics?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
They dipped in the center removing the rocker and raising the deck to the point it was an s deck - Not the Programmed rocker .

Stringerless needs some sort of support during glassing like a stringer does to retain the designed rocker - and can be

I imagine that would be proudly spoken of by those who do so .

If Mr. Price would have corrected these he would have sold 12+ years of them - dats alot of bubba bucks :)
I use a rocker bed, the outside from the EPS bottom cut. I hate it, but it sure works good. I would definitely prefer to just have a single "stick" instead of a giant sled cut piece.

Hmm, now if the rocker changes are predictable, then this could be factored in.
Another possibiltiy is to add preload. I.E. use different rockers for the deck and bottom. Now we're talking "pop".