Dark Arts Black Friday Sale

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Can you ding the foam core on the dark arts though. is the carbon weave pretty impenerateable? You bang the DA itsstill a foam core that can take on water. The closed cell foam of xtr is pretty attractive.
I’m sure you can if it gets into an extreme situation. I’ve got 12 and never dinged one or had the carbon layer break on one. The core is from a common EPS blank. Like I said in the other Dark Arts thread, their attention to detail is so good I’ve never even had a single drop of resin leak into a fin box. We all know how frustrating and common that is when putting fins in for the first time.
The extruded foam that XTR(and FCD) uses doesn’t take in water which is very nice. But once it’s exposed and water gets between the foam and glass you’re setting up for a delam like any other board. Dings to extruded foam boards still need to be/should be repaired

Last edited:
Reactions: hotCheetos

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Full carbon done by Drew 20 miles north of myself would be around + 200.00
Yeah...another good carbon option, although have to pay for pack/shipping to CA for most of us.
I had a real good Maurice Cole Hipster-T from Drew that he wrapped in carbon with a cork deck. It was one of my favorite small wave boards and it lasted plenty of years

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Full carbon done by Drew 20 miles north of myself would be around + 200.00
If you mean the Black Dart, it doesnt seem like the same thing (Ive had BD and DA). The BD sorta feels like a standard board in that it dents easily and doesnt have that ping that Dark Arts does. What that means, I dunno. Is Black Dart vac bagged (if that makes a difference)?

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
He may get an added boost once the new SITD drops and every board Taj is riding is a Dark Arts. $400 more than a full color XTR parallel carbon(essentially striped tape) is worth it, imo. Especially in regards to durability after reading the XTR thread. Those 2 strips of carbon really is more for looks than acting like a stringer. It may add some small level of strength to the board but it’s not the actual thick weaved carbon fiber Justin uses to wrap the entire board

This was my first and last XTR. Custom ordered it from Dan and Javier back in 2010. When it was “finished” it had exposed foam(no glass or resin) on one of the tips in the tail when I picked it up. Just like in ChaseTMP’s case, after a decade it looks like QC there could still improve
I thought the SITD boards are just painted black, I haven't seen anything saying that they're all DA? Plus that seems tough considering only sharp eye and

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I thought the SITD boards are just painted black, I haven't seen anything saying that they're all DA? Plus that seems tough considering only sharp eye and
It's been confirmed. Most recently Blake Peters (Panda) spoke of it on Surf Splendor this week...he has a board in the mix

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Sorry if I sounded like I was bagging on DA or Justin. I’ve had a DK fish glassed by Justin and still have a Mandala in Carbon glassing. Both have been awesome, strong, lively, etc.
Exceptional product, imo. Just shocked at the sticker price on some of the current boards on the market.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Sorry if I sounded like I was bagging on DA or Justin. I’ve had a DK fish glassed by Justin and still have a Mandala in Carbon glassing. Both have been awesome, strong, lively, etc.
Exceptional product, imo. Just shocked at the sticker price on some of the current boards on the market.
When you think about it, he was charging too little pre Dark Arts (which is only like 1+ years ago). The JT boards I got pre DA cost less than a poly Lost. The many Mandala's and Cole I got were $995, which was WELL worth it. Just wish I didnt outgrow them, laterally speaking, not vertically :cry:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I hate to be a Debbie downer but at this price point, I honestly think DAs are going to be a short-lived fad.

Don't get me wrong, the construction/workmanship is impeccable and the durability is out of this world.

But honestly, I just don't think they surf well enough to justify the price, especially not a base of $1200.

I've had three at this point (the first two cost 1K) and they never end up becoming mainstays in the rotation.

I don't usually think about flex but this construction is the first ever that I felt was just way too stiff.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
appreciate that kool-aid. i want to try one but mostly just because i want to try everything. and they look cool. even at the discount price though it's a tough pill, especially since they charge so much for shipping. i might still get one but I'm more tempted to grab a rad ripper or sword fish in lightspeed off real for 100 off and have it in my hands in a week rather than a couple months.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
appreciate that kool-aid. i want to try one but mostly just because i want to try everything. and they look cool. even at the discount price though it's a tough pill, especially since they charge so much for shipping. i might still get one but I'm more tempted to grab a rad ripper or sword fish in lightspeed off real for 100 off and have it in my hands in a week rather than a couple months.
Hopefully Real got a better batch of lightspeeds than my local shop. I found pretty glaring issues with at least a quarter of the Driver 2.0's and Retro Rippers I fondled two days ago.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Aruka