Dan's having - Fun

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Fin placement moved forward. So, like the Pyzel Padillac?

Forward placement loosens up the board so even though it's a big, heavy thing it can still be turned and actually surfed rather than just tracking in a strait line.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Incorrect

I spent 12 hours today shipping boards , I'm sure Dan had more Fun :)

You can easily see the plug placements in this video a few times if you try .

Next --
T&Cs had your logo on them and Firewire has logo like Mannkine on them, no difference.

Packing boards can be fun. But to some, I guess, it's now work more suited to lesser thans like part time board builders and Chinese women?

Tiny fractions making a difference in fin placement has benn the normal GG goto. Give us time to recalibrate.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No fins made it nearly impossible to see placement and he says placement is important, just like any shaper should say.

So nothing really to agree or disagree with other than he makes good looking boards. To that we agree, or do you agree?
Maybe you should consider getting some glasses. It’s pretty damn clear to me where the fins go.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’ll take a whack at this one.

So the idea of moving the fins more forward (that’s what I’m assuming he did, I can’t really see the plugs) on a wider big wave board is to get the fin cluster closer to the rear foot. None of these big wave guys ride off the tail in the traditional sense. More closer to somewhere between 30/70 to 40/60. With that in mind, fins more forward may help with quicker adjustments and not get them locked in if an outside rail may slightly catch on the drop.

Move them too far forward and your inside rail may catch too easily and the nose of the board will track vertically to the top of the wave on drops.

Remember seeing people trying to turn those old long pipe spears after coming out of the barrel, it looked horrendous.

I still think small 6 to even 8 fin clusters will be the norm in the future.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’ll take a whack at this one.

So the idea of moving the fins more forward (that’s what I’m assuming he did, I can’t really see the plugs) on a wider big wave board is to get the fin cluster closer to the rear foot. None of these big wave guys ride off the tail in the traditional sense. More closer to somewhere between 30/70 to 40/60. With that in mind, fins more forward may help with quicker adjustments and not get them locked in if an outside rail may slightly catch on the drop.

Move them too far forward and your inside rail may catch too easily and the nose of the board will track vertically to the top of the wave on drops.

Remember seeing people trying to turn those old long pipe spears after coming out of the barrel, it looked horrendous.

I still think small 6 to even 8 fin clusters will be the norm in the future.
Why is it that so many of you can’t see the ”plugs”?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Ya Greg!

I saw that on insta and thought what a precise review on board theory. I could relate from your boards tho they don’t have the pronounced eev.

Didn’t think to transfer that to big wave boards...but there it is. So few big wave riders :)

Maybe Stab in the Dark should do a big wave version. Known rider though, and boards from people who don’t have their boards under any of the big wave riders.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Why is it that so many of you can’t see the ”plugs”?
AH, I got to get off the ipad.

From seeing it on a Monitor, it's still super stealth, but did he make this board with two different quad fin set-up positions ? From size of his hand on rail, maybe.

One more forward for big days, one setup for "smaller" days to make turns?

This is the new "Guess who was singing autographs at Malibu?"