Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Haaa, I’m fooked.

4.2 GPA, National Honor Society, Several AP classes and passed all the placement exams for them. Tons of extra charity groups.

UC schools applied - SB, Irvine, LA, Berkeley.

CSU - SLO.

The only option to possibly getting into a UC school is Merced because she is within the top 9% of her class.

Anyone know anything about UC Merced?

My advice for families looking to apply next year. Aim real low.
We aimed low and started with 2 years at City College in San Diego. Then 2 years at SDSU. Then 2 years at Cal State Fullerton. With no post graduate prospects after that she took a research job at Rady. 3 years later she was the supervisor of the whole department. With solid work experience in her resume she applied with a dozen colleges and hit the lottery. Now the youngest daughter is finishing her first year of post-graduate school at the University of Alabama. They wanted her so badly they gave her a 4 year all expense paid PHD scholarship and a matching Capstone educational grant. Proof positive that if the kid wants it the opportunity is out there.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
If your daughter is on the law school path, and is the high achiever that she seems to be, there are several ways to get to a lucrative position while not spending so much money. One path was taken by my daughter's best friend, who was a very high achiever in high school and got into several elite East Coast institutions. Her Dad had health and resulting employment issues when she graduated HS, so for money reasons she went to San Diego State for undergrad. (Her Dad is doing great now.) Killed it academically and socially there at State, and got into private school USD Law with a nice scholarship. Killed it there, and is now a first year associate at a major law firm with a starting salary of $170k/year at age 25. You don't have to go to the elite institutions to get a great job; you just have to do well where you go.
so theres hope. sons gf is taking the long wayaround her law degree

cc>ucd>uop

25 and still another year to go

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We aimed low and started with 2 years at City College in San Diego. Then 2 years at SDSU. Then 2 years at Cal State Fullerton. With no post graduate prospects after that she took a research job at Rady. 3 years later she was the supervisor of the whole department. With solid work experience in her resume she applied with a dozen colleges and hit the lottery. Now the youngest daughter is finishing her first year of post-graduate school at the University of Alabama. They wanted her so badly they gave her a 4 year all expense paid PHD scholarship and a matching Capstone educational grant. Proof positive that if the kid wants it the opportunity is out there.
Our #2 granddaughter, pre-med has applied to perhaps a dozen out of state schools. Alabama offered her a free ride, she’s trying to negotiate getting a similar offer from Tennessee. Her sister, our oldest granddaughter is a Junior at Mizzou and became a Missouri ‘resident’ after her first year. What is it with kids who grew up at the beach (Carlsbad) and seem to desperately want to leave this screwed up State?

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Back in the mid/late 80s I transferred to Penn from UCSD. It was the height of the crack epidemic and West Philadelphia was probably the scariest place I had ever been. On a Saturday night the first week or so I was there, a group of local youth ran across campus cracking people on the head with pipes. Right around the same time someone was randomly stabbed in the heart in the crosswalk outside my dorm, in the middle of the day. In every restroom on campus, there was a red emergency rip cord above every urinal and toilet that you could pull if you got assaulted. Meanwhile, the campus police were on strike. Everyone seemed blase about the violence, they were used to it apparently. One of the reasons I transferred to Penn was for the opportunity to take a graduate Picasso seminar from a renowned art history professor, under whom my favorite professor at UCSD got his phd. The UCSD professor told me he had set everything up with the Penn professor who would be expecting me and just introduce yourself when you get there. Which I did and the Penn professor was like sorry no way you're getting in my seminar lol. My main reason for being there having been quashed combined with the violence and culture shock, I didn't finish the semester and was back at UCSD the next quarter. Luckily I hadn't from UCSD but had just taken the quarter off which you were allowed to do without having to reapply for admission. Anyway just a trip down memory lane! :)
LOL, Not quite the same as a Beer Open ehh?

I think the advice about selective majors is important. Want to go to Berkely on Computer Science? LOL

I guess I got lucky. Kid #1 made it into UCSB for Material Science, now works at Raytheon doing thermal for satellites. Kid #2 made it to UCLA on Statistical Economics, dropped out, did some Mira Costa, got a Kinestheology degree from CSUSM, and starts Physical Therapy school in May.

Ahh, they don't surf. No extracurriculars beyond football, Lots of AP classes. I just read an article that suggested that MIT is bringing back SAT scores.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Our #2 granddaughter, pre-med has applied to perhaps a dozen out of state schools. Alabama offered her a free ride, she’s trying to negotiate getting a similar offer from Tennessee. Her sister, our oldest granddaughter is a Junior at Mizzou and became a Missouri ‘resident’ after her first year. What is it with kids who grew up at the beach (Carlsbad) and seem to desperately want to leave this screwed up State?
John4surf, my daughter grew up in OB! I moved to Cbad after she graduated from PT Loma Hi. According to her, most of her classmates are decesed, unmarried with kids, waitressing at Hodads or cruzing the bars downtown on 5th Ave.The best thing I ever did was convince that hippie beach rat to join a sorority at SDSU. It was expensive for me but worth every penny in helping her develop life long friendships with career minded women.

Regarding the Alabama offer. There's not a lot of distraction in Tuscaloosa except during football season. Also a nice "flipped" 3br. 2bath house is less then 200k.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf
Mar 15, 2022
College admission is vury competitive these days and IMO the CC route is the way to go, bar none unless you get a full ride. I invested five figures from my kid's college fund at their HS graduation when we agreed CC matriculation would be the plan. At time of graduation from UCSD, it was just over 6 figures and we used as a down payment on their first home (2/2 condo). With a mechanical engineering degree and a solid job, my kid's mortgage less than apartment rent, they're ahead of the game at 25 years old.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Our daughter was set on the 4 year UC go-away-to-college thing since she was like 10. We are having her pay for 1/3 of everything, so she worked on campus in the dining hall the first year, and then has been working off campus the years since. Lifeguarding in the summer. Her dorm mates are now her roommates off campus, and she's glad she went this route. One year left.

Our son didn't get into anything, started at the local CC, mostly online. Dropped out after a couple months, moved to Jackson Hole for the winter to work and ride, and then went to Panama for a month. Coming home next week to work restaurants until lifeguard season. I'm hoping he goes back to school soon.:foreheadslap:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Our daughter was set on the 4 year UC go-away-to-college thing since she was like 10. We are having her pay for 1/3 of everything, so she worked on campus in the dining hall the first year, and then has been working off campus the years since. Lifeguarding in the summer. Her dorm mates are now her roommates off campus, and she's glad she went this route. One year left.

Our son didn't get into anything, started at the local CC, mostly online. Dropped out after a couple months, moved to Jackson Hole for the winter to work and ride, and then went to Panama for a month. Coming home next week to work restaurants until lifeguard season. I'm hoping he goes back to school soon.:foreheadslap:
My daughter has all As at UCLA and my son is doing well at a Cal State. Who knows where either will end up in life. Have plenty of money for grad schools in their 509s.

Reactions: rice and hammies

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's funny how kids come out different but the same.
Kid 1: (Almost) straight As in HS, knew exactly what he wanted to do and where he wanted to go. Got into his #3 UC and is now in grad school. Happy.
Kid 2: (Almost) straight As in HS, no idea what she wanted to major in or where she wanted to go. Went to CC, figured it out, transferred. Starts grad school in the fall. Happy.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Or, my buddies ex is a secretary at USD...his kids get free tuition. Has two that have graduated with business degrees, and one is finishing up a finance degree.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I got more out of some of my professors at Cabrillo or Santa Monica College than I did out of some of my professors at UCLA.

Sure, I missed out on the 4 year university experience, but so what? Some view that as a defining point in their lives, whereas for me it wasn't as important.

My sister knew what she wanted to do w/ her life since well before going to University. She went to UCLA, UCLA medical school. Is now an anesthesiologist.

I had no idea what I wanted to do w/ my life. Went to CSULB, dropped out, community college and then back to University. Now in grad school.

My sister makes way more than I do. We are both happy though, and that's what matters in the long run.

There are plenty of different paths.