Dane has a new blog

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Thank god! I miss Marine Layer.

That snub nose twin looks like a good time!
Yes, it did, although that brief clip where he is on a square tailed board at about 1:10 in looked like it had more speed (is it a Neckbeard?) and of course he looked best on the HPSB when the waves started to warm up from about mid way in. I read the text blog first which added a nice bit of context to the video.

Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Didn’t watch the video, but read the blurb. Pretty entertaining really. Simple, but real. I particularly liked the contrast of surf session interaction with a kid transitioning to home with kids fighting. This quote also stood out:
“but trying to do airs at this hour is like waking up and doing gymnastics in a cold shower. Water trickled through the seams of my suit as I waited for a shitty little refraction off the jetty to connect with a meager 2 foot swell from the South Pacific so I can catch it and stand my fossilized body up on my surfboard and hopefully do a trick that I can post on my website.”
Actually looking forward to more.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Didn’t watch the video, but read the blurb. Pretty entertaining really. Simple, but real. I particularly liked the contrast of surf session interaction with a kid transitioning to home with kids fighting. This quote also stood out:
“but trying to do airs at this hour is like waking up and doing gymnastics in a cold shower. Water trickled through the seams of my suit as I waited for a shitty little refraction off the jetty to connect with a meager 2 foot swell from the South Pacific so I can catch it and stand my fossilized body up on my surfboard and hopefully do a trick that I can post on my website.”
Actually looking forward to more.
Probably the most relate-able pro surfer there is

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I like that he's just making clips with whatever he has. Not trying to make super edits. He's always been a trend setter (Marine Layer was a vlog really) so maybe this is where he wants to take things: everyday surfing clips. Granted the waves at the end are firing, but overall it's pretty mediocre waves and I liked it. The write up gave some context. Looking forward to more.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I was out while Dane and Eithan were surfing last week among another 4+ of Ventura's A-team. There was some clip-worthy stuff going down. I was surprised I didn't see anyone filming from the beach or water. About 20 minutes after Dane got out, someone was doing tow-ats down the beach with a person filming on the back of the Jet-ski. There were some attempts at some double back flips, but Ventura's Harbor Patrol shut it down really quick. It was too far away for me to confirm who it was, but it looked like Dane's style from afar.

Last edited:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
“I should snap on that kid” was my first thought.

Of course I would never because I hate bumming people out more than anything but I’ve been conditioned to think this is a worthy scenario for verbal abuse.

:)

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Tuned in and loving it. Hahaha.

Plus, lately, the reliability of his surf reports have been greatly influenced by the potency of the weed he’s smoking.

Reactions: MathDebater

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Love his writing. He seems human, not afraid to show his mistakes, keeps wipeouts in his cut, but then he does something that no other humans can do on a board, and you realize he's a god.
I still remember the first time I watched that turn at Haleiwa. It's been almost a decade and I've probably watched it more than 100 times out of curiosity. I'm still not even entirely sure what is happening no matter how many times I see it. It's just so completely mind blowing.

Last edited: