Dads blocking for son

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
So, I surfed Cottons the other day and while sitting there waiting for the waves a dad(with neon colored wetsuit) and his son paddled near me. There was a lot of sand on the inside moving around so the peaks were a little shifty. Well the dad paddles for a set inside of me so I dont go then he lets his son, that was on the other side of me go.

People wonder why there are so many entitled adults it is because of sh1t like this. What happens when his daddy cant be there to block for him?

Humans pretty much suck. I'm hoping a very large comet hits earth soon.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So, I surfed Cottons the other day and while sitting there waiting for the waves a dad(with neon colored wetsuit) and his son paddled near me. There was a lot of sand on the inside moving around so the peaks were a little shifty. Well the dad paddles for a set inside of me so I dont go then he lets his son, that was on the other side of me go.

People wonder why there are so many entitled adults it is because of sh1t like this. What happens when his daddy cant be there to block for him?

Humans pretty much suck. I'm hoping a very large comet hits earth soon.
I don't get it. You say dad was inside of you . So you were outside of dad (had priority) and let the dad go (to be polite?) and son "on the other side" of you (outside or deeper?) goes? Why didn't you just go?

I got no problems with dads helping their kids. I usually cheer for the kids when they get a wave. Unless it's Yadin's kid running over people.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
routinely give waves to kids. What is just another wave for us can be a big moment for them. Last time I put my hands on another man? When he dropped in on my son, hit him with his board, and than started yelling and swearing at my son. It did not go well for him after I got involved.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't get it. You say dad was inside of you . So you were outside of dad (had priority) and let the dad go (to be polite?) and son "on the other side" of you (outside or deeper?) goes? Why didn't you just go?
Dad was deepest in priority-claiming position, OP was second in line, kid was more towards the shoulder.

Dad (deepest) demonstrated intent to go, at which point OP and anyone else who does not deserve to be blood-eagled in front of their family would just let the deeper surfer making a move do their thing. But once this happened, Dad never went, and junior shoulder-hopped from down-priority of OP off Dad's fakeout.

One time I wouldn't care. Repeatedly, it's time to get the skillet blazing hot and sear you up some Dad tataki.

IMHO it's the Dads calling their kid into other people's waves constantly or pushing their kid right in front of people that can be patience-trying.

I think tons of people let gromlings go when a medium sized one with a short shoulder pops up. In fact the worst grom abuse I've seen is by Old Guys Rule logdads who seem to make it their mission in life to sit out back of their groms and pose on every ripple that comes through while the kids get frustrated because logdad can't let fuck dick go.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Dad was deepest in priority-claiming position, OP was second in line, kid was more towards the shoulder.

Dad (deepest) demonstrated intent to go, at which point OP and anyone else who does not deserve to be blood-eagled in front of their family would just let the deeper surfer making a move do their thing. But once this happened, Dad never went, and junior shoulder-hopped from down-priority of OP off Dad's fakeout.

One time I wouldn't care. Repeatedly, it's time to get the skillet blazing hot and sear you up some Dad tataki.

IMHO it's the Dads calling their kid into other people's waves constantly or pushing their kid right in front of people that can be patience-trying.

I think tons of people let gromlings go when a medium sized one with a short shoulder pops up. In fact the worst grom abuse I've seen is by Old Guys Rule logdads who seem to make it their mission in life to sit out back of their groms and pose on every ripple that comes through while the kids get frustrated because logdad can't let fook dick go.
Except he d9esn't say "Dad was deepest..." He said, "Well the dad paddles for a set inside of me..." If dad was inside of him, he was in priority. That's what's confusing me. OP needs to clarify. In any case, hapens once no big deal. Repeatedly, problem.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Except he d9esn't say "Dad was deepest..." He said, "Well the dad paddles for a set inside of me..." If dad was inside of him, he was in priority. That's what's confusing me. OP needs to clarify. In any case, hapens once no big deal. Repeatedly, problem.
Okay cool maybe he means Dad posted up just as deep but just underneath and blocked entry then let the son go. Or something else.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
PS: at pussy waves like cottons I just let kids go in front of me.
Are you kidding me?
Have you ever surfed Cottons when it is on and 2x overhead?
Little Rincon is a similar set up and one of my favorite waves.
Cottons kind of the same.
They don't always work like the gems near them but they have their own place as well.
I've surfed them both at XL size and Cottons on a big south had way more power than Mussel Shoals.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Are you kidding me?
Have you ever surfed Cottons when it is on and 2x overhead?
Little Rincon is a similar set up and one of my favorite waves.
Cottons kind of the same.
They don't always work like the gems near them but they have their own place as well.
I've surfed them both at XL size and Cottons on a big south had way more power than Mussel Shoals.
I’ve never surfed there. I just assumed it was a mellow wave because of your description of the situation. My bad.

”Mussel Shoals“ gets soft in XL conditions. It packs its punch in well over head to DOH and in reality the only really heavy section in behind the pier.

What do you do at serious waves? Kick your board at them? Meet them on the beach and grapple?
In serious waves I treat everyone the same regardless of age or gender. Commonly agreed upon rules of etiquette apply across the board.

If dad “blocks” for kid in serious waves by faking a deeper take off I will pretend that he doesn’t exist for the rest of the session.

Reactions: Havoc and keenfish

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I’ve never surfed there. I just assumed it was a mellow wave because of your description of the situation. My bad.

”Mussel Shoals“ gets soft in XL conditions. It packs its punch in well over head to DOH and in reality the only really heavy section in behind the pier.

In serious waves I treat everyone the same regardless of age or gender. Commonly agreed upon rules of etiquette apply across the board.

If dad “blocks” for kid in serious waves by faking a deeper take off I will pretend that he doesn’t exist for the rest of the session.
you don't even surf

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Joshua2415 and Pico

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

What if he sincerely thought he had it but then couldn't catch it? sh!t happens to the best of us. And then you keep burning him the rest of the session... :shrug:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What if he sincerely thought he had it but then couldn't catch it? sh!t happens to the best of us. And then you keep burning him the rest of the session... :shrug:
Then he should have called me in.

That‘s what I would have done.

Or I would have said after the fact, “sorry man, thought I had it. Next one is yours.”

But if he turns and goes, making me pull out, then he pulls out and doesn‘t say anything?

Burn…(at least once). Kid or no kid. You turn to go and blow it you have to at least acknowledge you fuckked up.