Customs finally arrive....and they're sh!t. A venting thread

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
better get free hipster hat or pants with your order
Nah, it was delivered, months after the original quoted date. There were a few back and forths and finally I told him I want the board in the next 3 weeks or a full refund. He said OK, and delivered. Picked up my first Steve Brom twin shortly after and sold the Mandala quad.

Reactions: 20W-50 and blood
Nov 5, 2019
Interesting thread. I ordered a board from X about a month or so ago. He told me 6 weeks and he didnt lie. Everything came out great and he was easy to work with. I’m not trying to ride his nuts too hard, but my experience was positive.... Hopefully you got everything sorted and like the boards.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
kinda a bummer since i give a lot to have a flexible job that is extremely freaking hard to get and keep. now every idiot has the same flexibility. thank you covid.
same same.

i guess some of us still got the monies flow which is piece of mind. some people are on edge about their yob. I think people resort to consumerism to make themselves happy. maybe some of that too.

now instead of sneaking out at 4, I sneek out at 2. Tides are jsut as difficult to coordinate at 2pm as 4pm and at least the sun is a little less blinding.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
kinda a bummer since i give a lot to have a flexible job that is extremely freaking hard to get and keep. now every idiot has the same flexibility. thank you covid.
I'm with you man.

Not flexible, but 4 days off a week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this new work from home thing is a short lived trend.

At 6 months it might be cool, let's see how people feel a year or two out. Cabin fever to set in among other things.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Interesting thread. I ordered a board from X about a month or so ago. He told me 6 weeks and he didnt lie. Everything came out great and he was easy to work with. I’m not trying to ride his nuts too hard, but my experience was positive.... Hopefully you got everything sorted and like the boards.
He's always delivered on time for me too. Many boards.

Sounds like this was a fluke.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm keeping my fingers crossed this new work from home thing is a short lived trend.
I’m already hearing June at the earliest in my parts. They threw in the towel for Jan 1st already but not officially announced.

I think a lot of people (managers) don’t want to go back and thats probably why the WFH status quo won’t flip for a while. If their underlings go in, they will have to as well.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’m already hearing June at the earliest in my parts. They threw in the towel for Jan 1st already but not officially announced.

I think a lot of people (managers) don’t want to go back and thats probably why the WFH status quo won’t flip for a while. If their underlings go in, they will have to as well.
The next thing that's going to happen after WFH is WFM: work force management aka layoffs. Everything in tech is fake, including the valuations of these tech companies that really just slinging code rather than creating breakthroughs like the semiconductor. Most of these tech companies are not even profitable.

We're in the middle of another DotCom boom right now. It won't be this way forever. The world economy contracted about 13% this year and you can't have that without more layoffs.

Last edited:

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
The next thing that's going to happen after WFH is WFM: work force management aka layoffs. Everything in tech is fake, including the valuations of these tech companies that really just slinging code rather than creating breakthroughs like the semiconductor. Most of these tech companies are not even profitable.

We're in the middle of another DotCom boom right now. It won't be this way forever. The world economy contracted about 13% this year and you can't have that without more layoffs.
i didnt think about the crowd factor getting worse... the nu-WFM'ers that are now surfing between phone calls where they don't contribute anything ... will soon they'll just be laid off and surfing full time? fuck

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i didnt think about the crowd factor getting worse... the nu-WFM'ers that are now surfing between phone calls where they don't contribute anything ... will soon they'll just be laid off and surfing full time? fook
I think they'll be moving back in with their parents, wherever that is. It takes time for these things to run through the system. I've watched it many times.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You can't name 10 shapers with more skill than Xanadu. Whatever happened is a mistake. Every once in a while one is going to slip through.

I've never had a Griffin that was less than perfect. I've had 4 or 5 of them over the years. Dozens from Stamps and Roberts have all been spot on. Shockingly I've never had a bad CI either. I got a couple Kazuma's that have been perfect.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think any of these big name shapers would be in business without great customer service. It sounds like the one in the OP made it right.

@GWS_2 explained the problems in glassing. That's an extra headache for the shaper - he has to QC someone else's work.

Reactions: JDJ

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
You can't name 10 shapers with more skill than Xanadu.
He's a great goto guy if you're 5'6" and 140.
Late 80's at Black's one day, I remember, he showed, got stuffed hard, intentionally, barked, got told to stfu, caught nothing after that.

He does make good boars though.

Reactions: npsp

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Surfed yesterday with about 4 guys who could surf and 20 kooks on soft tops and a hard board here and there. Saw a 4-board pile-up on a wave and a decent surfer get a bad rail ding on a new board in the process. Saw another kook drop in on an experienced surfer. A learning dad on a hard board took off the wrong way into the foam ball into me as I was bottom turning and I had to turn away fast to avoid bonking a rail. Another kid dove off his Wavestorm when a wave letting his board shoot off behind him without looking to see if he'd hurt anyone. I told the kid he'd be better off on the inside and he needed to hold onto his board. He made excuses and I repeated what I said.

Overall, they didn't get any waves and stayed away from where the other 3 of us were surfing. There seem to be dads driving hordes of these kids to the beach in the same Sprinter van. They all paddle out together, get in each-other's way, make a lot of noise, and get no waves. The goal seems to be to play grab-ass and say you surfed.

• Sad