Customs finally arrive....and they're sh!t. A venting thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I got that. Cut boards are not entirely finished. You can fvck it up. You might be able to buy a finish shaped blank from a shaper if you can convince him you can glass. But he's probably not going to let you use his logo/lams. And most of them won't do it. That's just the lay of the land as they say.
So a cut blank still has the routing patterns that have to be blocked down and screened off, and they won't sell you that either?

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LIKE MY DISTRIBUTED MFG MODEL?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Because they can’t guarantee quality assurance (even if you don’t agree with what they currently do).

it completely makes sense if you work in manufacturing. Not everyone wants to sell the public OEM. Too many questions and cry babies. too much risk for user error.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Because they can’t guarantee quality assurance (even if you don’t agree with what they currently do).

it completely makes sense if you work in manufacturing. Not everyone wants to sell the public OEM. Too many questions and cry babies. too much risk for user error.
So you're saying I have no option but to wait for thousands of kooks to receive their midlengths before I can get a custom board?

I would think that it would be all the same to a shaper as long as the buyer understands it's on him if he screws up the sanding or glassing. Then again, people are extremely whiny nowadays. Of course, there's risk anyway you look at it. The glasser can screw up, or the buyer can be unsatisfied with the finished product and decide not to receive it, making you have to re-sell it.

I'm sure these shapers have been burned every which way. Oh well.

Reactions: Havoc

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
I'm getting some popcorn:roflmao:
Got so sick of the BS, I now make my own. Too old, slow, and broke down to tell the difference anyway
But it has opened a tiny bit of in-site as to what shapers are up against. So many steps along the way that are sometimes out of their control (until it's too late)everybody is crazy busy(from what I hear) I waited 2 months to get the last cuts back. Now waiting on a file I sent to the cutter almost 7 weeks ago. Dropped 3 off at the glasser and he told me it was going to be a bit as he is buried.
Glassing I think can be the biggest issue (parts are really hard work that need attention to detail) Sorry for your loss, already time to move on, you'll feel better when you put it behind you.
clearly you need your own CNC

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So a cut blank still has the routing patterns that have to be blocked down and screened off, and they won't sell you that either?

Even without logos on it, with you finish shaping it and doing the glassing/sanding/fins, when/if it doesn't work, the shaper probably figures that when someone asks you about it, you'll say something like "Shaper XYZ sold me this shitty file and it sucks ass! I got ripped off! etc etc etc"

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014

you've got to fund it with a crypto currency and you might be on to something

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Even without logos on it, with you finish shaping it and doing the glassing/sanding/fins, when/if it doesn't work, the shaper probably figures that when someone asks you about it, you'll say something like "Shaper XYZ sold me this shitty file and it sucks ass! I got ripped off! etc etc etc"
At that point, the board "not working" would be entirely due to my surfing. I'd think even the fin angle and placement, while not perfect if done by me, would still not affect performance more than my own surfing.

So the bottom line is that people are sh1tty, infantile liars and pose a risk to the shaper's reputation that way.

Reactions: Ifallalot
Jan 18, 2014
So keeping with the theme of shapers being super backed up with orders...are surf shops killing it too by selling a bunch of off the rack boards, or is this mainly a custom thing?

Reactions: oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So the bottom line is that people are sh1tty, infantile liars and pose a risk to the shaper's reputation that way.
youre so triggered over someone else’s business and their right to decline doing business with you. Kinda weird because this is pretty normal stuff...

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
At that point, the board "not working" would be entirely due to my surfing. I'd think even the fin angle and placement, while not perfect if done by me, would still not affect performance more than my own surfing.

Preshaped blanks available here > https://shapersupply.com/collections/cnc-shaped-surfboard-blanks
Maybe one of these would be a good start for ya. Not cheap if you have to consider shipping, but it could be a good option.

btw, I waited 4 months for an epoxy glass job this year. Just a backyard guy walking into a glass shop. Came out great until some kook crashed into me on the second go out. Right back to the ding shop. That hurt

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
so is it bc everyone didnt surf for a while now are going crazy? or st else? is it all the new covid summer surfers now having work from home = graduate from wavestorm to midlength to try to live their surfer instagrm dreams?
wfh allows mid-day surfs between zoom calls.

no traffic means those at the office can surf by 5:15.

honestly it’s a surfers dream until you paddle out into a pack of 50 or try to score new gear.

im waiting for the first real NW and cold water to scare off the adult learners but maybe we are already at critical mass.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

:roflmao:

all sold out! wavestorms have graduated!

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: PRCD and sdsrfr