Customs finally arrive....and they're sh!t. A venting thread

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Well known SD shaper. A 5 to 6 week estimate turned into to 3 months to finish...that's fine, whatever. Well known shaper Boards finally arrived yesterday and they are fucking rough. These things aren't even fit to be stock boards. One has sand throughs/can feel the weave of the glass all over the place, hard edges are a bit wonky. What's supposed to be a slight beaked nose just looks fucked up. Other board has a cleaner glass job but a nice big hump running down the stringer on the deck. It's like no one actually looked at the boards before shipping. I don't even want to put pads and wax on the things. Easily the roughest boards I've ever held.

What the fuck....I'm sticking with off the rack and other peoples cast offs from now on.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Reports are shapers have been so slammed some have stopped accepting orders. Some lesser known guys reporting wait times of 4 to 6 months "just to be on the safe side" around when you ordered.

Reactions: JDJ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I really hope this isn't the same shaper I ordered from.

• Haha
Reactions: ANIMA

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
What a bummer. That really stinks to even consider shipping back across the country to him. Naming the shaper would be helpful for the rest of us, especially as he's in my backyard. Like PRCD, hoping it's not one I'm gonna order from. At least maybe some identity clues or hints? Does his logo have a capital letter and a dot?? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Well known SD shaper. A 5 to 6 week estimate turned into to 3 months to finish...that's fine, whatever. Well known shaper Boards finally arrived yesterday and they are fucking rough. These things aren't even fit to be stock boards. One has sand throughs/can feel the weave of the glass all over the place, hard edges are a bit wonky. What's supposed to be a slight beaked nose just looks fucked up. Other board has a cleaner glass job but a nice big hump running down the stringer on the deck. It's like no one actually looked at the boards before shipping. I don't even want to put pads and wax on the things. Easily the roughest boards I've ever held.

What the fook....I'm sticking with off the rack and other peoples cast offs from now on.
been there and it totally sucks. pointless to complain here about it though if you arent naming names. does no one any good unless you just get off on sympathy.

here i'll start, my name is doc f and i ordered a fowler once that was a total piece of sh!t. he didnt listen to a word i said regarding what i wanted. that, and what i did get was fucking asymmetrical. one side of the nose was wider than the other and the rails were totally jacked. to top it off, the haakenson glass job was sh!t with multiple sand throughs and an unsanded ridge that ran the length of one of the rails.

there i feel much better now, so who fuked your order?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Some people seem to have this problem way more than others.

That's not a reflection on the OP. Situation sucks.
My success rate on customs is fine, last couple we're through a NJ shop hosting an Australian shaper and glassed after he left. They came out pretty much flawless, were shaped for a specific purpose and serve that purpose well. I've had customs that I didn't click with, rails came out a bit fuller than discussed, arrived with the wrong fin boxes, sh!t like that is fine.

When you factor in cost and potential damage on shipping it's just too risky. At least with stock boards and other peoples cast offs you can assess them under arm before buying.

What a bummer. That really stinks to even consider shipping back across the country to him. Naming the shaper would be helpful for the rest of us, especially as he's in my backyard. Like PRCD, hoping it's not one I'm gonna order from. At least maybe some identity clues or hints? Does his logo have a capital letter and a dot?? LOL
Nope, not R.

Reactions: sdsrfr and oeste858

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Geez man, out them... This veil of secrecy is nothing short of re----d

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Bummer to see these threads. I guess I've had really good luck - and generally enjoy the whole custom thing. My only iffy experiences were with lost and I wrote a decently detailed post on that thread.

I also think I remember the shaper from an earlier post (I won't name unless OP does). Another bummer, always wanted to try a board from him.

For customs, it really helps to know which glass shop. Shaper does matter here. Some guys only use one or two. Others are spread thin and seem to have sh!t going everywhere at all times. This doesn't help things.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
been there and it totally sucks. pointless to complain here about it though if you arent naming names. does no one any good unless you just get off on sympathy.

there i feel much better now, so who fuked your order?
Venting, not complaining. Surfboards are not important enough to warrant sympathy

They haven't fucked my order until they've either flat out ignored me or told me to fuck off. I've been in touch, so we'll see. Not naming names yet because it might just be a one off situation. I know the boards we're packed and shipped by the glass house and had the boards been sent back to the shaper before shipping he wouldn't have been around to check them out anyway....that's the best clue i can give before i hear back from them

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I'm getting some popcorn:roflmao:
Got so sick of the BS, I now make my own. Too old, slow, and broke down to tell the difference anyway
But it has opened a tiny bit of in-site as to what shapers are up against. So many steps along the way that are sometimes out of their control (until it's too late)everybody is crazy busy(from what I hear) I waited 2 months to get the last cuts back. Now waiting on a file I sent to the cutter almost 7 weeks ago. Dropped 3 off at the glasser and he told me it was going to be a bit as he is buried.
Glassing I think can be the biggest issue (parts are really hard work that need attention to detail) Sorry for your loss, already time to move on, you'll feel better when you put it behind you.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I'm getting some popcorn:roflmao:
Got so sick of the BS, I now make my own. Too old, slow, and broke down to tell the difference anyway
But it has opened a tiny bit of in-site as to what shapers are up against. So many steps along the way that are sometimes out of their control (until it's too late)everybody is crazy busy(from what I hear) I waited 2 months to get the last cuts back. Now waiting on a file I sent to the cutter almost 7 weeks ago. Dropped 3 off at the glasser and he told me it was going to be a bit as he is buried.
Glassing I think can be the biggest issue (parts are really hard work that need attention to detail) Sorry for your loss, already time to move on, you'll feel better when you put it behind you.
Lucky for you that you make sick shapes. i'd by a twinzer shaped by you. (just got some of the new Liv3 boxes... just need a board built to put them in).

Surfadelphia: If you're who i think you are, you're into alt shapes. I have nothing else to do but try and solve this riddle

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
On the topic of shapers getting slammed. A mate tried to enquire about getting another Morning of the Earth from Simon Jones. He's had a few from him before.
Torren Martyn's obvious influence combined with Covid-19 have pushed the wait times for his boards out to seven months and requiring a $500 deposit.
It took a few goes for him to even get an answer by email from a minion about ordering a board. Cool he is so busy if you aren't the one wanting a board from him.