Custom Order Deposits: Refund Seeking

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Did you give DP any input on your board or let him decide etc? Wondering if we got off wrong foot but for me normal for me to tell shaper height, width, and thickness. Then go over experience and your age, weight; and height. Do not get me wrong he was pleasant and wrote back asap but seemed like I was chasing my tail and never got any thing done.
I did give the usual( as you stated) and what I wanted it for and what I ride in the conditions I want the board for. When I first saw it I went into shock at how thick the rails were and that board took me a long time to dial in.

That board continues to be pure magic. He's a nice guy that seems like a straight shooter. I would guess he does not do what he does not want to do and does not suffer idiots for very long. He probably just got distracted (y)

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I did give the usual( as you stated) and what I wanted it for and what I ride in the conditions I want the board for. When I first saw it I went into shock at how thick the rails were and that board took me a long time to dial in.

That board continues to be pure magic. He's a nice guy that seems like a straight shooter. I would guess he does not do what he does not want to do and does not suffer idiots for very long. He probably just got distracted (y)
It was just awkward like a first kiss as a kid no one wanted to make a move:foreheadslap:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

That board continues to be pure magic.
Whatever floats your boat, but for me if a board is a general design I'm familiar with (like a shortboard thruster) takes lots of work to dial in it's a dud.

He's a nice guy that seems like a straight shooter. I would guess he does not do what he does not want to do and does not suffer idiots for very long. He probably just got distracted (y)
He seems nice but he also seems like an insufferable arrogant smartest guy in the room type.

Reactions: Muscles

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I had a great experience with Parmenter for a pretty out there custom request.

I'd been scoping this second hand board he'd shaped in the 90's in a surf shop here- I think an old board of Jeff Hakman's- and wanted something similar but tuned to my dims.

After a few email exchanges we narrowed it down, he came over to Oz, shaped it.
My pal glassed and sanded it and it came out perfect.

It's kind of a detuned mid-length Hawaiian mini-gun.
Speed shape.

widow maker fin set-up, glassed in fins.

7'3".

Goes great in babyfood or fighting current/onshore winds in 6-10ft surf.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Been getting boars from Wade Tokoro for decades, he and Kerry have been my friends for even longer. I usually pay a $300-$500 deposit for any custom boar I order. They keep an account for all their customers and if my sisters bday is around the corner or xmas I’ll
drop money in her account as a gift.

My lastest boar order I texted Wade cause they want people to set up appointments so not too many people at the shop all at once, Covid safety precautions. Texted him what I wanted and told him I’d come by to leave a deposit or Venmo him. Wade texted back they’ll get started on the boar and no need deposit just settle up when I pick up the boar.

They’re not going to do that for everyone and most customers don’t have the kind of relationship I have with them. But there’s something to be said about building a long term surfer/shaper relationship. It goes both ways too. I never ask for a bro-deal, although I think he knocks of a few bucks, 99% of the time I pay cash, and I never have to call and ask when can I except my boar cause I’m fine with it’s done when it’s done. And I never order a boar in November and expect it to be done in December when a horde of visiting pros are rush ordering winter quivers from them.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Whatever floats your boat, but for me if a board is a general design I'm familiar with (like a shortboard thruster) takes lots of work to dial in it's a dud.
None of this is about a 'general design' or is it about you.

Some people are the smartest in the room and worked hard to get there. If you find that insufferable, you will never know the experience.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
None of this is about a 'general design' or is it about you.
It's about me.

Or maybe the board just sucks.

Personally it doesn't matter - life is too short to to have to put in lots of effort on a board, especially when the difference is obviously caused by some element of weirdness.

Some people are the smartest in the room and worked hard to get there. If you find that insufferable, you will never know the experience.
I didn't say that I find the smartest guy in the room insufferable.

Just the way he comes off, from the (too many) hours I've heard him talk on podcasts.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
AJW
Greenroom Board Co
In The Eye
WRV
Chilli - surprisingly 8 weeks

-East Coast is a little easier :socrazy:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Been getting boars from Wade Tokoro for decades, he and Kerry have been my friends for even longer. I usually pay a $300-$500 deposit for any custom boar I order. They keep an account for all their customers and if my sisters bday is around the corner or xmas I’ll
drop money in her account as a gift.

My lastest boar order I texted Wade cause they want people to set up appointments so not too many people at the shop all at once, Covid safety precautions. Texted him what I wanted and told him I’d come by to leave a deposit or Venmo him. Wade texted back they’ll get started on the boar and no need deposit just settle up when I pick up the boar.

They’re not going to do that for everyone and most customers don’t have the kind of relationship I have with them. But there’s something to be said about building a long term surfer/shaper relationship. It goes both ways too. I never ask for a bro-deal, although I think he knocks of a few bucks, 99% of the time I pay cash, and I never have to call and ask when can I except my boar cause I’m fine with it’s done when it’s done. And I never order a boar in November and expect it to be done in December when a horde of visiting pros are rush ordering winter quivers from them.
Thats so awesome. Very cool they keep an open account for customers like that too. :cool::shaka:

I talked to Keanu a little bit ago about getting one of his Tokoro boards to try. He said no problem, just come by and check em out. As soon as I have some "Non-Tomo" surfboard cash to spend on a board ill give him a call and see what i can find. lol. He said he has some 5'7 or 5'8 Tokoro Epoxies he could sell me. Tokoro seems like a very good guy!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Thats so awesome. Very cool they keep an open account for customers like that too. :cool::shaka:

I talked to Keanu a little bit ago about getting one of his Tokoro boards to try. He said no problem, just come by and check em out. As soon as I have some "Non-Tomo" surfboard cash to spend on a board ill give him a call and see what i can find. lol. He said he has some 5'7 or 5'8 Tokoro Epoxies he could sell me. Tokoro seems like a very good guy!
Surfed with Keanu during the summer. Wade was out with Zeke, Seth, and Gen. They were swapping boards and giving Wade feedback. A drone was following Keanu and he threw a really high spray on a bs snap it almost got the drone. Keanu’s backhand surfing is super solid, his technique, where he positions his turn on a wave and his style is textbook. Plus he throws buckets for a smaller duu.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Steve Brom - awesome on the phone, delivered what we agreed on, dropped the board off to me!
Stretch - nailed what i was looking for, board was finished on time
Ryan Sakal - invited me to his shaping room, super nice dude, spent a good amount of time with me figuring out shape, dims, etc.
One of the best off the rack boards I've ever ridden was one of Ryan sakals

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I had a great experience with Parmenter for a pretty out there custom request.

I'd been scoping this second hand board he'd shaped in the 90's in a surf shop here- I think an old board of Jeff Hakman's- and wanted something similar but tuned to my dims.

After a few email exchanges we narrowed it down, he came over to Oz, shaped it.
My pal glassed and sanded it and it came out perfect.

It's kind of a detuned mid-length Hawaiian mini-gun.
Speed shape.

widow maker fin set-up, glassed in fins.

7'3".

Goes great in babyfood or fighting current/onshore winds in 6-10ft surf.
My ole friend lived in Morro Bay had custom DP 7'3" and 7'1" widowmaker pins and he loaned me the 7'1" and man dat thang went great Dave has the widowmaker down nice rails learned from his R days tucked under and sharp at side fins:shaka: