Custom Order Deposits: Refund Seeking

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Don't be a pussy

Go over there, tell him you're leaving on a trip and ask where your board is.

If it isn't there (I had one occasion where a board had been done for weeks and they thought they had called me) give them a "I emailed about it last week and never got a reply. Alright, whatever" and then when you get to the car call the credit card company and direct them to have your deposit refunded as goods were never delivered.
Yea I sent him about 3 emails around end of september (1 a week till response) asking about progress, which one got responded to. Its a specialty step up and the waves havent been super big here, so I havent needed it. Moreso I want to know for cash flow purposes as the remaining balance on it is over 1K.

If still no response by next week I'll go by the shop in person as its not far away

Reactions: ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think it's disrespectful and very poor business ethics. It depends on your stance. For me life is too short to be jerked around by people like that (especially if you are paying premium prices)and there are plenty of OTR options if you put in the time to find what you are looking for. I had an egg shaped mid on order. the day I canceled I found a sweet Trimcraft Haley Pin and a killer set of fins.
Respect is two lane road give and earn so I try to avoid this crap and only deal with respectable shapers/dealers/etc:shaka: Sh*t does happen some times mostly life getting in the way but respectable shapers well get your board done no matter what:cheers: Once had one of my go to shapers mid way done fall off ladder and was unable to finish so son came to finish board and to add to wait he had board cut for egg instead of mini log first and got half done before he realized mistake. Bottom line board was finished perfect in 10 weeks glass was tinted orange epoxy bottom and rails with pin stripes and 6/6 6 s glass which is no easy feat.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
FYI: I've never had this problem dealing with XTR customs and I've never had this problem dealing with a very popular over seas shaper in Australia ;):p

Overseas customs was a breeze! Hope I dont jinx it. Find a good shaper and trust the process!

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Yea I sent him about 3 emails around end of september (1 a week till response) asking about progress, which one got responded to. Its a specialty step up and the waves havent been super big here, so I havent needed it. Moreso I want to know for cash flow purposes as the remaining balance on it is over 1K.

If still no response by next week I'll go by the shop in person as its not far away
hess?

Jul 20, 2008
Respect is two lane road give and earn so I try to avoid this crap and only deal with respectable shapers/dealers/etc:shaka: Sh*t does happen some times mostly life getting in the way but respectable shapers well get your board done no matter what:cheers: Once had one of my go to shapers mid way done fall off ladder and was unable to finish so son came to finish board and to add to wait he had board cut for egg instead of mini log first and got half done before he realized mistake. Bottom line board was finished perfect in 10 weeks glass was tinted orange epoxy bottom and rails with pin stripes and 6/6 6 s glass which is no easy feat.
Believe me...I understand about life gets in the way sometimes. But we are mostly talking about a communication issue. I mean shapers are running a business whether they like it or not when you accept someone's money for a product. Not making time to respect the people paying their bills by not answering text, emails, etc. in a timely manner is terrible. I don't understand how some shapers become a fad and get all popular and stuff and then **** on their customers.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I ordered one custom when I was somewhat new to buying surfboards and had my first real job. I just turned 21. Ordered a 7'0 quad swallow tail. Guy delivered me fun board thruster after 4 months of waiting. I begrudgingly took the delivery because I already paid and didn't understand how credit card chargebacks work.

My latest order took 4 months for a gun that I ordered because of a blank shortage. However, the shaper made that clear before the order was made and then provided updates every couple weeks on the status of the blank. I never understand the stories I hear about shapers just going silent and not keeping in touch with customers.