Custom Order Deposits: Refund Seeking

Jul 20, 2008
I recently pulled the plug on a custom and this is how I rationalized it. He quoted me 4 weeks. I'll understand if it takes double that time. But then you have to figure out where to draw the line and cancel. I did it at 12 weeks. I told him that my business must not be that important to him and let's call it a day. Please send my deposit back. Mind you, I did not hound him at all. I checked in at 6 weeks and then at 8 weeks. At 10 weeks he said he would give me an update in a day or so. It was crickets for 2 weeks until I canceled at 12 weeks.

Reactions: Havoc

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I recently pulled the plug on a custom and this is how I rationalized it. He quoted me 4 weeks. I'll understand if it takes double that time. But then you have to figure out where to draw the line and cancel. I did it at 12 weeks. I told him that my business must not be that important to him and let's call it a day. Please send my deposit back. Mind you, I did not hound him at all. I checked in at 6 weeks and then at 8 weeks. At 10 weeks he said he would give me an update in a day or so. It was crickets for 2 weeks until I canceled at 12 weeks.
Was the blank not shaped?

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
The erBB (myself definitely included) will shame anyone that's not riding a hyper-domestically shaped one-off. The reality is that these sh!tty stoner bro-brah business practices drive consumers to OTR and/or companies like FireWire.

"It's at the glassers"
"It'll be done in 2 weeks"
"Machine has been down"

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
The erBB (myself definitely included) will shame anyone that's not riding a hyper-domestically shaped one-off. The reality is that these sh!tty stoner bro-brah business practices drive consumers to OTR and/or companies like FireWire.

"It's at the glassers"
"It'll be done in 2 weeks"
"Machine has been down"
lately, the opposite. less firewire, more domestic gucci boars. adult learner stage 2 graduation to next level.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"Machine has been down"
Went to US Blanks and the new guy from Cali ;-) was there filling in for Aaron
I said Florida needs another machine
He said you ain't kidding
He was told by 2 no and the other said 2 months
I smiled , he responded yeah I can get one cut in 1 week in Cali

only 2 more months until Larry gets his new 3DM machine in Cocoa Beach
That will balance things and push another into upgrading to a better machine

This stuff does exist in surfboard world

Reactions: Havoc and retodd

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I ordered a board from a well known shaper in norcal beginning of August. Originally quoted me Mid to End of September. Sent him an email about a week ago but no response. What do you guys think?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I ordered a board from a well known shaper in norcal beginning of August. Originally quoted me Mid to End of September. Sent him an email about a week ago but no response. What do you guys think?
Don't be a pussy

Go over there, tell him you're leaving on a trip and ask where your board is.

If it isn't there (I had one occasion where a board had been done for weeks and they thought they had called me) give them a "I emailed about it last week and never got a reply. Alright, whatever" and then when you get to the car call the credit card company and direct them to have your deposit refunded as goods were never delivered.

Jul 20, 2008
I think it's disrespectful and very poor business ethics. It depends on your stance. For me life is too short to be jerked around by people like that (especially if you are paying premium prices)and there are plenty of OTR options if you put in the time to find what you are looking for. I had an egg shaped mid on order. the day I canceled I found a sweet Trimcraft Haley Pin and a killer set of fins.