Custom Lost Order for East Coast

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
How long are custom orders taking these days? If I put in the order at the start of June when do you think I can expect them?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
6 months with no communication and then it shows up wrong if history is any predictor.
This. I want to order a RNF 96, but probably wont 'cause I dont want to deal with it, from personal experience. I'll just wait until something stock pops up somewhere

Reactions: mundus and Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Pretty much all my lost orders have taken 3 - 4 months and been what I asked for without any real troubles. The only issue I've had with lost is making mistakes on the dims because of tweaked files (which happened with lost retro guns).

I always order through proof lab which has a good relationship with lost. I'd suggest doing the same or ordering through Catalyst in FL.

Reactions: emmohl80 and JDJ

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Haven't ordered one in a long time so perhaps the process has gotten better but I've never had one be on time or come out correct. One of the shops in town that sells a lot of Losts won't do customs anymore as they had so many issues and the customer would always blame the shop as they are the easiest people to yell at. Good luck getting in touch with anyone at Lost.

I've met Matt in person at a couple of the shaper night things they used to do and he seems like a good guy who knows his trade, but the company is a bit of a sh*tshow.

I'll only buy Losts off the rack. Saves a lot of anxiety and frustration.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The one time I ordered a custom rocket back in the day it took 8 months to get to nc and and came out with the softest glass job ever. I want to support local surf shops but I will never in my life order another big name board thru a shop. The shop 100% put me on hold until they had enough orders to be shipped over. I'm sure catalyst probably has a much better connection.

Eyeing an rnf xtr order but must resist....

Reactions: Aruka

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So many stock models available do not understand the need for a custom from the big brands.

Jan 10, 2014
I did a custom RNF redux like a year and a half ago-through catalyst. they didn’t have my size at any local shops or catalyst. Took a solid 4 months and also had a bad experience with glassing. I’ve never had a board with this many issues-especially living on the gulf where we do not have the heaviest of waves. but I do really enjoy the shape

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
I had 2 customs recently a quiver killer which took 6 weeks and came out exactly how I ordered it and glass job is fine. Other one was a C3 beanbag and that came out exactly how I ordered and was like 2 weeks earlier then quoted. I have the exact opposite experiences with local shapers though.

Reactions: MathDebater

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So many stock models available do not understand the need for a custom from the big brands.
IMHO there isn't much true custom work like bespoke scratch-shaped from the local guy on customs ordered from Lost/CI/Rusty etc. It's people ordering a model by name from the menu but they want X construction or quad boxes added to a thruster or a slight dims bump/cut or a different tail shape.

There's no guarantee they'll have your dims or preferred construction/finbox setup. I went looking for rando supplies like new sun/rash shirts this summer. Aqua East had three boards in the 38-ish range and nothing between that and 7'6" popout boats or some such.

Sunrise I think had about the same.

Surf Station, they basically can't keep a CI SpineTek in anything larger than Jr High school or smaller than Hippopotamus learning to surf dims for more than a couple days after it rocks up.

Reactions: MathDebater

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
IMHO there isn't much true custom work like bespoke scratch-shaped from the local guy on customs ordered from Lost/CI/Rusty etc. It's people ordering a model by name from the menu but they want X construction or quad boxes added to a thruster or a slight dims bump/cut or a different tail shape.

There's no guarantee they'll have your dims or preferred construction/finbox setup. I went looking for rando supplies like new sun/rash shirts this summer. Aqua East had three boards in the 38-ish range and nothing between that and 7'6" popout boats or some such.

Sunrise I think had about the same.

Surf Station, they basically can't keep a CI SpineTek in anything larger than Jr High school or smaller than Hippopotamus learning to surf dims for more than a couple days after it rocks up.
If you dont mind the shipping Real surf shop on the outer banks has tons of boards. My buddy has gotten boards from them and it was hassle free.

May 31, 2011
My last one I ordered in stringered eps showed up in six weeks. I was really caught off guard. I’m in San Diego for what it’s worth.

Generally though mine have usually taken roughly three months and have come out with no significant ssues.