Custom 7till8 wetsuits

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
So, I decided to order a custom wetsuit from https://www.7till8.com/

They use Japanese Yamamoto lilestone rubber, non petroleum based, and from what I have heard it is better than traditional neoprene.

So I watch their video on how to measure yourself for a wetsuit and I have my wife take the measurements.
I send this info in to them and they say it will be 4-8 weeks until it is ready.

I received it last Friday and MAN it was TIGHT! Im not sure if it should be this tight, or like a normal wetsuit if it will loosen up a little after use. I contacted them through email yesterday, they never answer phone, and I am still waiting to hear back from them.
I was really looking forward to supporting a small business like them but from what I have seen so far I am not at all impressed.

Anyone one else have any experience with them? Are their suits supposed to be super tight?

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Anyone one else have any experience with them? Are their suits supposed to be super tight?
no and likely you can receive no refund as it's custom made. probably asian tailored and fits the dainty frame better, explains why Caca loves his custom cyber suits

the price you pay for being hipster, could have bought two or three suits for the price of one. now you must reconcile for your sins and go on a brief starvation diet

• Haha
Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
If the desire to have a quality wetsuit that would last more then 2 years makes me a hipster......your logic is fuzzy man.
you're not paying for quality but perceived quality, having 2 suits the exact same they'll suffer less wear and tear and you'll always have a dry one to put on.

yamolimestone is just a marketing gimmick to get you the consumer to believe that it is something actually worth paying for

the best thing you can do for the longevity of the rubber is to rinse in cool fresh water and hang in the shade to dry at the waist

Jul 18, 2018
I've never used a 7till8 suit but I am familiar with the Yamamoto rubber.
Yes, it does break in but it's hard to say exactly how much. When I first got my Feral suit it was embarrassingly tight, my wife literally laughed at me. But after putting it on and taking it off a few times it was better. After two surf sessions it felt great.
YMMV

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
I have had 3 wetsuits from them over the last 5 years. I am still using all of them. the first on I measured myself and the next 2 I went to their shop to have them measure. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. Hopefully they will make this right for you.

my suits are not super tight. I am a short fat guy so off the rack stuff does not work for me.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ohhhhh sorry for posting this in the wrong section....Ohhhh stick a stake through my chest.
So dramatic :shrug: just saying more response in design forum even have a dedicated wet suit thread:cheers:

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
I've never used a 7till8 suit but I am familiar with the Yamamoto rubber.
Yes, it does break in but it's hard to say exactly how much. When I first got my Feral suit it was embarrassingly tight, my wife literally laughed at me. But after putting it on and taking it off a few times it was better. After two surf sessions it felt great.
YMMV
Same. Wife laughed, "why is your suit so shiny? It looks tight." Couple sessions in and it felt perfect and is staying that way. Lovin' my Feral.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
STOP MEASURING YOURSELF FOR CUSTOM WETSUITS.

You wouldn't measure yourself for any other big ticket item you absolutely need to fit right, so why would you do it for a wetsuit of all things?
so you go to men's warehouse to get measured up for those custom cybers?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
You seem a little bit gay.

Nothing wrong with that.

But just saying.
:roflmao:

it's ok man, I know a few former married guys who got hitched as a cover

there's no need to hide under a veil of masculinity

fruity flowers bloom in the spring time

it's not too late to come out and smell the roses

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
you're not paying for quality but perceived quality, having 2 suits the exact same they'll suffer less wear and tear and you'll always have a dry one to put on.
Cold wet wetsuit doesn't bother me. 2 suits the exact same size will wear twice as long as one suit considering the care is the same. Using 2 and alternating them does not increase the # of used for a single suit. If you think so please explain how & why.

yamolimestone is just a marketing gimmick to get you the consumer to believe that it is something actually worth paying for
Please explain why Yamamoto limestone is a marketing gimmick. I have researched how it is made and it is definatelly a different material versus traditional neoprene.

the best thing you can do for the longevity of the rubber is to rinse in cool fresh water and hang in the shade to dry at the waist
From what I have seen so far the build quality is definatelly better then any of the other suits I have had.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
STOP MEASURING YOURSELF FOR CUSTOM WETSUITS.

You wouldn't measure yourself for any other big ticket item you absolutely need to fit right, so why would you do it for a wetsuit of all things?
Typical attitude of, "we have always done it like this so why change." Do you fear change casa? I bet you do
Custom fit equals potentially less stress on parts of the suit, at least that is what the theory is. I'll have to find out if it is true.

Reactions: MrCrash