Crowds at your local?

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Bad news about the crowds in the SB. I will eventually have to come back to LA for work and Porto zone is my morning water time.

In other bad news, just got word Kron's academy is closing, he's moving to Montana. So that's gone too. I'm sure Wild Card Boxing is closed. I have no idea how I'm going to blow off steam because I can't do gyms.

Crowds not too bad by my house. Just one spot that attracts people in the summer, but there are lots of other zones where it's pretty empty.
I’m hoping my old school has a semi private thing going. I think they’re officially closed. Porto has to get better (crowds) as waves get bigger.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My go to spot is strange. There will be 50 people on the main peak and a total sh!t show. Walk a ways down the beach and no one is around. But ya, morning times are a total sh!t show.

Last week there was some really solid swell. Jam packed at dawn. Had to be somewhere so I only had 20 minutes. Paddled out past the crowd and took the first set wave. Paddled back out and did it again. Took that wave all the way in and went home. I'm friends with everyone out there and they thought it was hilarious. :shaka:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Nuisance level crowds on both beach and in water. I usually dawn patrol during the week but on weekends, usually a family day but try to get to beach "early" by 9 and then bail before 11:30 inland onslaught. Been packed by 8. At least 1/3 beginners in the water.

Even though I fantasize about SoCal having a mandatory 14-day quarantine in Trona for tourists, I tell myself this will all be over after Labor Day. 2 weeks.

With this heat wave, hard to blame people trying to escape it by going to the beach.

Reactions: CutnSnip and rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Nuisance level crowds on both beach and in water. I usually dawn patrol during the week but on weekends, usually a family day but try to get to beach "early" by 9 and then bail before 11:30 inland onslaught. Been packed by 8.

Even though I fantasize about SoCal having a mandatory 14-day quarantine in Trona for tourists, I tell myself this will all be over after Labor Day. 2 weeks.

With this heat wave, hard to blame people trying to escape it by going to the beach.
Been telling my daughter the beach is closed because of the germs. Was feeling really bad about it this morning.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Optimistic that the the first proper fall swell will clean up most of the herd. in SB 70 percent of the crowd seems like its people that just started surfing in April. Once paddling out is more than 40 yards off the sand - all the kooks will vanish again. Half of em dont realize whats surfing SB beachbreaks is even like on a swell - can be alot of work.

Reactions: Kento and rts265

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Optimistic that the the first proper fall swell will clean up most of the herd. in SB 70 percent of the crowd seems like its people that just started surfing in April. Once paddling out is more than 40 yards off the sand - all the kooks will vanish again. Half of em dont realize whats surfing SB beachbreaks is even like on a swell - can be alot of work.
Your post gives me hope. Just having the ripping down the beach current at my usual is a physical if not mental game-changer at my usual beachbreak. Especially as it accelerates the further it takes you.

This will of course not stop me from cussing the gods out when I am pinned inside the sandbar taking 40+ waves on the head in a row. :roflmao: :jamon:

Crowds actually make me pray for onshore winds (Havoc is my witness) as it sends them scurrying home.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and CutnSnip

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Local summer spot just north of the bridge is on another level recently. 20-50 teenagers out any given time just sitting in the way and all going simultaneously. All the locals are like WTF happened. A couple of us told a pack that had ruined a decent set getting in the way to move down the beach and the kid was like “good surfers just go around us” The entitlement is disgusting. I’ll try to look out for the mellow groms that have put in some time and are humble by blocking the kooks when I can.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Local summer spot just north of the bridge is on another level recently. 20-50 teenagers out any given time just sitting in the way and all going simultaneously. All the locals are like WTF happened. A couple of us told a pack that had ruined a decent set getting in the way to move down the beach and the kid was like “good surfers just go around us” The entitlement is disgusting. I’ll try to look out for the mellow groms that have put in some time and are humble by blocking the kooks when I can.
If I am guessing correctly where this is, the kayakers there need to connect some barb wire and do a sweep and clear.