Crowded California

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'm getting pissed at Huntington for closing down that entire section of beach seemingly about every weekend for some stupid race, concert, car convention, or similar asshattery. I know they are consistently trying to make the 909 feel at home but it's going a little far lately.
well at least they are getting a permit for their organized activity. the surf teams/clubs are not. like i said, 10 ppl surf team who cares. what these schools are doing is 100 people surf teams and i'm not exaggerating with that number. completely overrun in and out of the water at 6am.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
surfed a C spot alone today. even the good spots were so bad hardly anyone was surfing. i got followed anyhow

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish and Havoc
Oct 29, 2012
When I first started surfing as a teenager, the "older" crew were only in their 20s. Anyone older than that was a spooky, creepy oddball. I think me and most my peers assumed we'd surf for awhile, and then "grow up" and move on into "normal" middle class lives.
Now that I'm 70 and have surfed for 60 years, my big fear is that when I'm 80, the water will be crowded with 80 year olds...

Reactions: One-Off and Anne

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sometimes you get super lucky with an uncrowded session but even places like OB have exploded with crowds just in the last few years.

It's really hard to tell the real surfers from the non-real surfers apart. I've had at least three encounters in the lineup this season alone. Sometimes I'm giving the grief. Sometimes I'm getting the grief.

I have a fairly flexible schedule right now and on the rare moments (these days) when I catch and uncrowded session (let's call it 5 guys within paddle distance) and I feel exceptionally fortunate. But these days it's always moderately crowded (20 guys within paddle distance).

Reactions: JonnyAvenues

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
well at least they are getting a permit for their organized activity. the surf teams/clubs are not. like i said, 10 ppl surf team who cares. what these schools are doing is 100 people surf teams and i'm not exaggerating with that number. completely overrun in and out of the water at 6am.

That's crazy. I remember surfing the pier (again 20 years ago) and I think Edison had a team of like 10 boys, two girls. They were mostly mellow, some of them surfed really well, but they'd all be gone by about 8-830 at the latest.

Reactions: Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don't give a crap if they have a permit or not. When they close down huge swaths of parking lot (especially one you have pay for an annual pass for), that's BS. There is a bright side that it's less crowded when that occurs but it does make things more of a PITA. It's even worse that they condensed all the fire pits to make room for the concert stages. City is just getting greedy at this point.

I guess I am lucky that I've never really encountered those surf teams. My attitude about that is the kids need a lot more homework and reason to study. Weekly 10 page essays, daily math tests, etc., all those things will greatly minimize their surf time.

However, I can't really complain. When I can surf during the week, though, they're evening sessions and I usually have no one around me for at least a half mile in each direction. The caveat is that it's usually quite onshore at that time. Plus, the relentless longshore current keeps the lineup pretty honest.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Now that I'm 70 and have surfed for 60 years, my big fear is that when I'm 80, the water will be crowded with 80 year olds...
There was a yelling argument in the water between the over 60 year old crowd a couple times this summer at Little Dume. :)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Depending on my school schedule, I'd either be at RJ's from 6-9am or Trestles from 11-2pm.
And it was never crowded unless it was firing, but this was 20 years go and before live cams.
My dad was a naval officer so the family car had a base access sticker. Worked at any military base. When I got old enough to drive we would go to Trestles by driving in with my mom's car and parking at Church and walking up the point to Lowers. There would almost never be more than about a dozen guys out, this was early to mid '70s. Haven't surfed there in almost 30 years now and have no real desire to do so, as I am allergic to crowds.

Dec 2, 2019
I hope surfing becomes more crowded. I hope nobody gets to enjoy any waves without being dropped in on. Fuk all of you faggots. You should never have started watching and talking about Ben gayvy and kalani rob.

• Haha

Homie

Miki Dora status
Sep 2, 2005
I hope surfing becomes more crowded. I hope nobody gets to enjoy any waves without being dropped in on. Fuk all of you faggots. You should never have started watching and talking about Ben gayvy and kalani rob.
what's the claim :giggle:

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
bro. you want to know where the crowds are sparse and no hassles are to be found?

do you?

i'll tell you.

archery.

serious bro.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
dude add taxes and overnight shipping
Buy from an online shop with no shipping fee, just scored a set of JJF fins for $80 on black monday. You can pay full price or think ahead, fins usually last a couple of years.