Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
dont forget every transplant who moves near the beach takes up surfing
which is almost always a longboard or sup
cuz surfing is for everybody!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I have found that at least half the people in the water aren’t getting any waves at relatively user friendly spots.

The more difficult breaks have a smaller crowd but a higher percentage of skilled surfers.

One particular reef break that gets pretty heavy has a somewhat easy paddle out so it gets packed and there are a lot of people who get in the way.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Ventura/Oxnard beach breaks have had quite a stretch of surf last couple weeks

I surfed a reef in VC twice on Saturday that was doing a great impersonation of Trestles w only a handful of people getting waves, it was pretty damn amazing

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Your local has had a few moments this fall/early winter with windows of emptiness. I'm sure nothing close to what you've been scoring for weeks on end!

i miss those precious hours there when you score and its empty - magical times - love that wave
hope you score this winter npsp[/QUOTE]

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
And then some... middle of a weekday and there is 50+ out at that spot and others. Does everyone now have a work from their van-life job? I couldn't wait to get to a point professionally that I could take time to surf in the middle of the day, because 30 years ago it wasn't as crowded if you played hooky! Now... forget it, all this time and I got robbed on that one. Paddled out at Swamis last week on that one day swell, 5:30am in the dark and there were 18 guys out already and the lot was full.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Crowds are a problem almost everywhere there are good waves. Back in the day, Labor Day in New England marked the end of beach season. Didn't matter how good the swell was, the Tuesday after labor day it was like a ghost town. Even at the best spots, it was not unusual to surf alone in the fall and winter.
Of course that was when we wore 1/8 inch O'Neil wetsuits and you could see light through each stich hole when you held it up to the sun.
That was also when most surfers around here had no clue that watching the weather could give you an idea of the possibility of a good swell.
Now, between the excellent wetsuit tech, reliable swell forecasts and wave cams, the coldest midwinter days have bigger crowds than we used to in the summer.
While I appreciate all the new tech, the days of a relaxed surf with a few guys out in a good swell at a primo spot just don't happen anymore.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Ventura Point on Saturday was completely overrun. Looking like the new Malibu. The fairgrounds calendar showed an NSSA contest scheduled for the weekend. They didn't show up, but that would have made things even more interesting.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Damn that was my go to spot in the late 90s early 00's. Can't imagine it packed.
last time i got there at 6am sharp. it was still dark with 2 foot closeouts and 100 people out and a freaking reggae party in the parking lot with yelling and dancing. i was like wtf???

trestles is the same issue. 100 people out at 6am when there were in the past <10. for mediocre garbage.

in north oc, they are counting surf team as 1st period so students surf from 6am to 9:30am clogging the lineup. its freaking crazy. surprised they don't need a permit for this type of organized activity. ya 10 ppl surf team fine, but it's literally like 100. worse than summer crowded.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Depending on my school schedule, I'd either be at RJ's from 6-9am or Trestles from 11-2pm.
And it was never crowded unless it was firing, but this was 20 years go and before live cams.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ, grg and Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Depending on my school schedule, I'd either be at RJ's from 6-9am or Trestles from 11-2pm.
And it was never crowded unless it was firing, but this was 20 years go and before live cams.
Ya I had similar sched. No more. They’re super packed and it’s getting even worse by the year. I counted zero uncrowned days at either spots in past 5 years

Reactions: redrider

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
last time i got there at 6am sharp. it was still dark with 2 foot closeouts and 100 people out and a freaking reggae party in the parking lot with yelling and dancing. i was like wtf???

trestles is the same issue. 100 people out at 6am when there were in the past <10. for mediocre garbage.

in north oc, they are counting surf team as 1st period so students surf from 6am to 9:30am clogging the lineup. its freaking crazy. surprised they don't need a permit for this type of organized activity. ya 10 ppl surf team fine, but it's literally like 100. worse than summer crowded.
I'm getting pissed at Huntington for closing down that entire section of beach seemingly about every weekend for some stupid race, concert, car convention, or similar asshattery. I know they are consistently trying to make the 909 feel at home but it's going a little far lately.