Crow Haley Leash

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Just a heads up for the boys,
Encinitas surf shop is fully stocked up with Crow Haley Leashes.
If you know, you know.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Are they coiled up in packaging? Drives me insane. It doesn't matter which company I get, they always attack my foot. I blame it on the packaging memory.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Never understood the crow Haley leashes. The one I had was the worst leash I’ve ever experienced by far.

I have that fancy new FCS leash right now, actually a really good leash.

Reactions: Aruka

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Are they coiled up in packaging? Drives me insane. It doesn't matter which company I get, they always attack my foot. I blame it on the packaging memory.
best remedy for that is to pull the leash with either 2 people or lash it around something. Really pull it and does the trick pretty good

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I blame it on the fact that most ALL the major brands of surf leashes are made in CHINA junk. They spend years/months neatly coiled up in that sweet corona packaging while they are placed in containers/ocean vessels, and finally make the long journey to your local US retailer.

Crow Haley is a one man operation hand making these leashes in house from start to finish. Then they make the long journey from Escondido,CA to Encinitas,CA in his car. (could be traffic?)

To answer your question Ghosty, yes they are coiled very loose and unwind immediately completely kink free. Hands down the best imo, made in USA. Surfer Labor as TFAD would say.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I like Crow's leashes, last one I had lasted years only taken out of service due to fin cut( my G10 fins are pretty sharp)
Made by Crow, why not support local surf labor whenever possible?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
1. Boil a big pot of water.
2. Turn off heat.
3. Drop leash in pot.
4. Wait a minute (or so).
5. Take leash out of pot (use tongs).

Leash is now kink free.

You‘re welcome.

PS: i learned this trick right here on the erbb.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I haven't tried their thinner leashes yet but the Hotline big wave leashes have been awesome. Super supple and no funky memory. I think they're made in USA too.

I've broken three standard leashes this month. Two old O&E and a Creatures.

Those CI hex leashes are nice but I should have stuck with the bright yellow ones. The black one I got had velcro that wouldn't stay stuck after a while.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I picked up a leash
1. Boil a big pot of water.
2. Turn off heat.
3. Drop leash in pot.
4. Wait a minute (or so).
5. Take leash out of pot (use tongs).

Leash is now kink free.

You‘re welcome.

PS: i learned this trick right here on the erbb.
Thanks, stretching it never worked for me. I'm going to try this. I currently have at least 3 different brands (including crow and stay covered) and they all do the same thing.

If you break or wear out (or don't like, in my case) one part of the leash, the grub screw at either end is the same (in my experience), so you can change out the cord, rail saver, or cuff. No need to toss the whole thing or pay $$$ from that Aussie co.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I picked up a leash

Thanks, stretching it never worked for me. I'm going to try this. I currently have at least 3 different brands (including crow and stay covered) and they all do the same thing.

If you break or wear out (or don't like, in my case) one part of the leash, the grub screw at either end is the same (in my experience), so you can change out the cord, rail saver, or cuff. No need to toss the whole thing or pay $$$ from that Aussie co.
It’s like magic.