Critters Toy Company

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Called them out for?
Making surfing look like actual fun?

Lovelace says he can tell the difference between "identical boards;" one board he made versus a machine cut board. I don't believe him. Assuming the blanks were identical and they were cut the same, and glassed the same, there should be no discernible difference. I wonder if he knew which was which when he rode them. Did he ride them "double blind?"

Last edited:

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Saw some really WACK CRITTER twinzers up in Venice, like no idea of design concept. Maybe they ride ok, or good but i also have seen Ryan Burch ripping on an unglassed, unshaped rawdog foam blank...

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I've heard of guys calling out MSFT before, saying they don't surf and are kooks who buy files from well known shapers.
Don't see much difference from these guys, Critters (or whatever they're called) and Album...or most modern shapers actually. Most files and templates are from previous generation shapers anyway...or just slightly tweaked versions of them. Then you have shapers like Mayhem who just tweak old models rebrand them as brand new ones just to make that $$...at the end of the day it's all the same sh!t. I remember people talking sh!t on these guys because they sold em on craigslist for like 300-400...but seriously what other option does a beginner shaper have when you can buy mass produced CI's, Chili's, Mayhems and Firewires for cheap or on sale at your local Jack's lol Surfboard "shapers" are so damn insecure...

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is it so bad to start a company and then find boards worth selling under the label?

maybe they have a better biz model than the shaper/designer who is suddenly forced to otherwise run their own company.

if they’re stealing CAD files, that’s one thing, but is a ghost designer really so bad if the customer is down with the final product?

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Is it so bad to start a company and then find boards worth selling?

maybe they have a better biz model than a shaper who is suddenly managing a company.

if they’re stealing CAD files, that’s one thing, but is a ghost designer really so bad if the customer is down with the product?
if anything Lovelace should be going after the industry giants...or maybe the craigslist shaper impacts his bottom-line a little more haha 15yr old grom from OC will buy a Mayhem but a 25 year old hipster from LA...tough choices for him/her

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I don’t know the whole story, nor have I listened to the podcast being referenced, so this could be me blowing sh!t out my ass. Was Lovelace’s Point Concept label possibly weaseled away from him? Might be why he’s taken a stance on people’s designs and intellectual property being taken or copied.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t know the whole story, nor have I listened to the podcast being referenced, so this could be me blowing sh!t out my ass. Was Lovelace’s Point Concept label possibly weaseled away from him? Might be why he’s taken a stance on people’s designs and intellectual property being taken or copied.
I seem to recall a time many moons ago when Lovelace was still green trying to make headway on Swaylocks and being subjected to some not-so-nice comments from many of the grumpy old salts.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Someone been sipping too much hater-aid.

His next post is funny as he admits it’s not the same rocker and suggests they got it “wrong“.

also, what is pop out about super? I thought their alt tech was domestic now.

Reactions: Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Critters/MSFT are filling a space in surfboards like Creature/Heroin/Deathwish in skateboards. It's smart.

Skateboards are all the same sh!t.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Critters/MSFT are filling a space in surfboards like Creature/Heroin/Deathwish in skateboards. It's smart.

Skateboards are all the same sh!t.
I read somewhere a long time ago all skateboards are basically made by theee companies even though there are lots of brands.

Reactions: tacos