Critical Race Theory

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
wut duz white mean?
You tell me.

“White” is a designation that encompasses a huge swath of people whose only similarity is a lack of melanin.

Do you see Egyptians and Norwegians as the same? They’re both “white”.

Do you see Cameroonians and a black guy from Atlanta as the same? Both are “black”.

My skin is not dark (unless I get sun exposure) and you “know” I’m white. Which white am I? Where am I from? You said you tell by my “opinions on race”.

And please, tell me what you think those opinions are.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
You tell me.

“White” is a designation that encompasses a huge swath of people whose only similarity is a lack of melanin.

Do you see Cameroonians and a black guy from Atlanta as the same? Both are “black”.

My skin is not dark (unless I get sun exposure) and you “know” I’m white. Which white am I? Where am I from? You said you tell by my “opinions on race”.

You are an unserious person. Not worth continuing to discuss anything with you. You can keep replying if you like though.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You are an unserious person. Not worth continuing to discuss anything with you. You can keep replying if you like though.
Why is it so hard for you to answer these questions?

You clearly have an idea of what my opinions on race are. You said you know I am “white” based on those opinions.

so what are my opinions on race? This is not an unserious question. I want to know what you think my opinions on race are.

I’d also like to know what you mean when you categorize individuals by their color. When you say ”white” to describe a person, what is that? How do you define “white”?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
@ElOgro When I was in high school about the only history we covered after Nagasaki got El Slammo'd was that Kennedy got shot, the man went to the moon under LBJ, and the USA won the cold war.

Jack sh!t on Korea. Jack sh!t on Gulf of Tonkin. Jack sh!t on 60's Civil Rights - outside listening to MLK's I Have a Dream every February. Jack sh!t on Vietnam. Jack sh!t on Nixon.

Using the definition "CRT is a framework for understanding systemic racism in United States-ian institutions" I'd say it basically belongs in 3-4k level courses for people in some humanities at public universities.

We did cover the slaveholder interests in the constitution, the slave trade, building to Civil War, War itself, Reconstruction, and very, very briefly heard mention of some relevant cases like Dred Scott and Brown v Board of Education.

I think you can cover that and upset some people. The Fall of Tenochtitlan isn't exactly a bedtime story for toddlers.

If the GOP wants to ban The 1619 Project, great. I don't know sh!t about it, but it's a tangible thing that exists and can be referenced.

Letting every asshole who wants to sue school districts in Florida because "discomfort" do so is a shockingly shitty idea. IMHO it's a ploy to basically bankrupt public schools as they exist today, and replace them with some Betsy DeVos dogshit.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
CRT seems to mean different things to different people. What exactly does it mean to you? I'm trying to give you as honest an answer as possible.

An edit for you - If you're talking about the true definition of CRT and not some right wing bastardization of the term I'd say it would fit well in a high school curriculum covering post-civil war America (and by America I mean the US and you know it. You grew up here too.) There are many here who struggle to understand the differences between institutional racism and a person being racist. There are others who struggle to see the distinction between race being a factor that impacts people's experience of the world vs it being the only factor. Learning to think critically about these things in school likely would have been beneficial for them.
I’ve learned everything I know about CRT here on the erBB. Throw out the far left, throw out the far right. Down the middle for me.

I feel sorry for those that don’t know the difference between institutional racism and a person being racist. I’m wondering how a month or two of dedicated CRT during my US history class, 11th grade when I was in high school, would have enlightened me more than my parents had up until then. The public education system will be hard pressed to overcome bad parenting.

Education on subjects related to tolerance and understanding starts at home. It’s a major part of nurturing.

That’s my perspective on parenting. I don’t expect people that haven’t raised children and grandchildren to understand that responsibility.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I’ve learned everything I know about CRT here on the erBB. Throw out the far left, throw out the far right. Down the middle for me.

I feel sorry for those that don’t know the difference between institutional racism and a person being racist. I’m wondering how a month or two of dedicated CRT during my US history class, 11th grade when I was in high school, would have enlightened me more than my parents had up until then. The public education system will be hard pressed to overcome bad parenting.

Education on subjects related to tolerance and understanding starts at home. It’s a major part of nurturing.

That’s my perspective on parenting. I don’t expect people that haven’t raised children and grandchildren to understand that responsibility.
I agree with you on most of that :cheers:

I think Sharkbiscuit hit the nail on the head with his response.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Whatever you want to call it, brand it, market it , teach it, etc Racism, slavery, etc have been around since dawn. Just insert the race or class.

im classified as non-Hispanic caucasian. Can’t I just be normal white?

post up the hotline number!!!:dancing::applause2::applause2:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You tell me.

Im a white American. Have you ever been an Italian or German?

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
Racism, slavery, etc have been around since dawn.
Slavery, absolutely !! :) )

How much Racism in North America, South America, and Central America before 1492 ?? )

:shrug:

And for all of humanity before 1066 ?? )

I love me some dumdum Critical Race Theory !! :) )​

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Letting every asshole who wants to sue school districts in Florida because "discomfort" do so is a shockingly shitty idea. IMHO it's a ploy to basically bankrupt public schools as they exist today, and replace them with some Betsy DeVos dogshit.
My brother in law, who is thoughtful and earnest middle school teacher, said, "I think they are trying to destroy public education."

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
okay

speaking od DUMDUM CRITICAL Race theory

why is it important to state

Racism has been since dawn

when it OBVIOUSLY is not true ?? :) )

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
@ElOgro When I was in high school about the only history we covered after Nagasaki got El Slammo'd was that Kennedy got shot, the man went to the moon under LBJ, and the USA won the cold war.

Jack sh!t on Korea. Jack sh!t on Gulf of Tonkin. Jack sh!t on 60's Civil Rights - outside listening to MLK's I Have a Dream every February. Jack sh!t on Vietnam. Jack sh!t on Nixon.

Using the definition "CRT is a framework for understanding systemic racism in United States-ian institutions" I'd say it basically belongs in 3-4k level courses for people in some humanities at public universities.

We did cover the slaveholder interests in the constitution, the slave trade, building to Civil War, War itself, Reconstruction, and very, very briefly heard mention of some relevant cases like Dred Scott and Brown v Board of Education.

I think you can cover that and upset some people. The Fall of Tenochtitlan isn't exactly a bedtime story for toddlers.

If the GOP wants to ban The 1619 Project, great. I don't know sh!t about it, but it's a tangible thing that exists and can be referenced.

Wow man, it’s bong hit at sunset time here. :nana:

Check this out. The original was from 1974 (when most of you people hadn’t had the need for special training)
In spite of Mr. Doof’s opinion that RN is on par with Three dog night, he was an opinionated swj long before it was a thang.

He’s old in this, people go through that. If they’re lucky. The message hasn’t changed.