Crime softboards

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Anyone have one?

Considering a Stubby hull or a Gothic Dolphin model, something I can try to surf and goof around on finless.

I think they are made by the same folks that make the Pyzel soft tops.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Anyone have one?

Considering a Stubby hull or a Gothic Dolphin model, something I can try to surf and goof around on finless.

I think they are made by the same folks that make the Pyzel soft tops.
Yeah, just marketed and marked up a couple hundred for hipster surf shops. $700-800 for a softie?! You do you.

Last edited:

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
man I just don't get it.

I rode a "premium" soft board wakesurfing a month or so ago and it rode like a piece of crap. To each their own of course but there just doesn't seem to be a substitute for the real thing
I agree with the "real thing," I have a JJF Pyzel Gremlin that works Ok. It's better than the other "performance" softboards I've ridden, but still has a softboard bog to it.

Been toying with idea of getting another hull, but can't get over the inflated prices of even used ones.

Figure a (hopefully used) Crime soft hull might be a happy medium of having a hull and a fun board for the family beach days.

Reactions: Aruka

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I agree with the "real thing," I have a JJF Pyzel Gremlin that works Ok. It's better than the other "performance" softboards I've ridden, but still has a softboard bog to it.

Been toying with idea of getting another hull, but can't get over the inflated prices of even used ones.

Figure a (hopefully used) Crime soft hull might be a happy medium of having a hull and a fun board for the family beach days.
I don't surf a hull or own a hull, but I do occasionally window shop Mollusk. They currently sell in-house Putnam / Mollusk branded hulls in the $775-$875 range depending on the location which is a pretty standard price now that all of the other brands have come up. Brian Hilbers used to make reasonably priced Fineline hulls too but I don't even know if he's shaping anymore.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I don't surf a hull or own a hull, but I do occasionally window shop Mollusk. They currently sell in-house Putnam / Mollusk branded hulls in the $775-$875 range depending on the location which is a pretty standard price now that all of the other brands have come up. Brian Hilbers used to make reasonably priced Fineline hulls too but I don't even know if he's shaping anymore.
Always wanted a Fineline GeeBee, haven't hear about Hilbers in awhile figured he retired like Liddle. I'll take a look at the Mollusk boards, if K.P. is involved it's legit.

Reactions: HSY

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I had a 6'10" BH Fineline "MP" rode it to the ground it had a widow maker set up. Worked great from knee high mush to OH + barrels and last real El Nino year ('10-'11??) we had in So CA got one of best fs tube rides:shaka: I tried contacting Hilber a few years ago from his website but no response for a month and already asked Malcom Campbell to shape me a mini log ewing 5 fin bonzer. Plus he was not stocked at some ?'s asked about tweaking "MP" to short stubby single 6' or under he was pretty gun ho on mid size for that shape:foreheadslap: Still would love to replace my "MP" but missed out on Dave Parementer as well.

Reactions: grendel95