Creepiest surf spots

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ke`e Beach on Kauai gave Sweetie-pie the creeps, she didn't know why. Later when on the trail, looking down toward the beach, looks like there is a heiau there, in fact I'm pretty sure I read something that said there was one, and she says, "Maybe I'm picking up on whatever made the earlier people build that here. People don't just build those without a reason."
Ever since a trip to eat at Trader Vics as a youth, I’ve been fascinated by Hawaiian/Polynesian history and mythology and I’m never gonna pass up a chance to learn something new so…

Last edited:

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Salmon Creek, Sonoma County gives me the heebies a bit
Scott's Creek, Santa Cruz, where I actually had a large white come straight at us, very fast
Couple of reefs around here if I find myself out alone

Overall, all the sightings and encounters the past few years around here have made me pretty jaded on the shark thing.
Dillon Beach causes my concern.

Reactions: RemyXO and rice

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ever since a trip to eat at Trader Vics as a youth, I’ve been fascinated by Hawaiian/Polynesian history and mythology and I’m never gonna pass up a chance to learn something new so…

They have some indigenous tiny people, like an island pygmy situation, where they use giant rocks that don't move as money. It's crazy, ask Aruka.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
They have some indigenous tiny people, like an island pygmy situation, where they use giant rocks that don't move as money. It's crazy, ask Aruka.
I think you’re talking about the menehune?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Any empty stretch between Seaside and Moss Landing and points north. Not just for the sealife, but surfing alone in pounding beachbreak gives me pause. Also going out in Atlantic hurricane surf, as well as some big days here in SW France. One knock on the head and you're gone forever when you're 500 meters out the back on a 3-4 meter swell. No one can see you from the beach.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Two spots - mainly creepy spots just because of the conditions

Shipwreck Bay NZ - My second time here I drove from AKL after work in the dark (bad idea). Planned to hit it at dawn. Drove my beater rental car down the hill and started the walk around the point corner. 4M swell and stiff offshore winds (40km+), barely anyone out. Paddled out from the key hole and immediately get swept down the point and taking DOH waves on my head. Finally made it out the back and could not fight the sweep. I was thankful that it pulled me back to land.

West Coast Canada - Usually my home break. Risked going out there in the middle of the covid lockdown. All roads in closed, so me and a pal hiked the 2 mile road down. When we got there it was twice the size we imagined and not another living soul around. I felt so insignificant in the water as it pulled me left to right, and further out. Got some bombs, but was kind of worried about getting hurt and then having to hike up with a bum leg.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Two spots - mainly creepy spots just because of the conditions

Shipwreck Bay NZ - My second time here I drove from AKL after work in the dark (bad idea). Planned to hit it at dawn. Drove my beater rental car down the hill and started the walk around the point corner. 4M swell and stiff offshore winds (40km+), barely anyone out. Paddled out from the key hole and immediately get swept down the point and taking DOH waves on my head. Finally made it out the back and could not fight the sweep. I was thankful that it pulled me back to land.

West Coast Canada - Usually my home break. Risked going out there in the middle of the covid lockdown. All roads in closed, so me and a pal hiked the 2 mile road down. When we got there it was twice the size we imagined and not another living soul around. I felt so insignificant in the water as it pulled me left to right, and further out. Got some bombs, but was kind of worried about getting hurt and then having to hike up with a bum leg.
These are the kind of stories I stick around for. Amazing stuff! Would love to hear more about both.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
These are the kind of stories I stick around for. Amazing stuff! Would love to hear more about both.
Not a creepy story but a funny story associated with the Shipwreck Bay trip. The air bnb I was staying at had its roof half blowing off bc of the high winds. Could hear old mate chasing sheet metal in the backyard and swearing his head off. Really nice guy and invited me in for beers with him and his family that night. Small world as his sister was the ex-wife of a client I was working for. He then proceeded to try to set me up with a leggy Russian girl who was around my age (late 20's), but not my type :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Always hammer the hot Russian, and always go on the Lam afterwards. Name change, maybe some plastic work etc
Unrelated Russian story - 5+ years ago I was camping out at a reef in the northern part of the Philippines. For some reason people had set up a learn to speak English and surf camp, mostly occupied by Russians. Made no sense to me as the wave was a heavy barrel, shallow reef, and long paddle out. Most of the students came back with some nice reef tattoos

One night, my cousin, my friend and I were playing guitar and singing songs in a beach hut. We were approached by the Two of the Russians. The guy told us "We bring to you, one of our women" and left the girl with us. She smiled and was missing about 5 teeth. My friend still did the deed and then got mad at me for not waking him up in the morning for high tide :foreheadslap:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Unrelated Russian story - 5+ years ago I was camping out at a reef in the northern part of the Philippines. For some reason people had set up a learn to speak English and surf camp, mostly occupied by Russians. Made no sense to me as the wave was a heavy barrel, shallow reef, and long paddle out. Most of the students came back with some nice reef tattoos

One night, my cousin, my friend and I were playing guitar and singing songs in a beach hut. We were approached by the Two of the Russians. The guy told us "We bring to you, one of our women" and left the girl with us. She smiled and was missing about 5 teeth. My friend still did the deed and then got mad at me for not waking him up in the morning for high tide :foreheadslap:
Aside from the teeth, how was the rest of her?

Reactions: Yewstreet

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Getting back on topic @r32 will like this one

Isolated rivermouth wave, heavy fog that gives me the creeps. Usually a bit wonky, but have got it a few times where its been absolutely magic. You have to cross aboriginal land and the reserve is not in the greatest of condition. Check the wave, not working, go surf someone else. In the pub later that night, this guy bursts in to the bar profusely bleeding from his head. Told us that he got jumped on the beach (by the rivermouth) and the people tried to have their way with his gf.

2 months after that, they found a burnt out car on that beach with a body in the trunk. (Drug/Gang related)

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
surf beach, waddell creek, waddell reefs, greyhound rock, laguna creek, scott creek when its big. I lived in SC for a while and would spend a lot of time surfing N of town either solo or with one friend. Waddell reefs always freaked me out. When you're sitting on the outside corner you can just tell the reef drops off almost instantly right past where you're sitting. Super fun wave though. Surf Beach also freaked me the fugg out. Felt like food out there.

And Tunnels on Kauai. Big reef drop offs out there.
Weirdly i wasnt spooked at tunnels... i also loved surfing the bowl but 1-2 days after i left someone apparently got bit by a smallish tiger out there

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Been surfing there a lot lately, I lived in Kaaawa for years. I've seen so much crazy sh!t out there. Few weeks ago it was a massive bait ball being tagged by a couple of reef sharks 50 yards outside the lineup. No one went in.

I paddled out to surf this peak in Invernesse out on Pt. Reyes when we were visiting my wife's family once. When I came in a local fisherman said "I figured I'd be reading about you in the news."
Inverness is 13 miles inside Tomales Bay. If there was a peak breaking in there I would be completely spooked.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
RRM I'm thinking. Only have surfed there twice. Both times, no seals. Way better surf though than that pic. That is the clintcher.

If it's really good. Like pinch yourself good. You overcome your fears. You only start getting afraid after you've been out there for a while.

One winter day in the early 80's. My brother and I pulled up to Scott Creek. Overcast and raining. No wind, Glassy. 1,000,000 cubic feet of runoff from the creek. It was breaking a quarter mile out. 4'-6'. Absolutely perfect. Every nick and crevice in the reef had been filled in by sand. Just perfect, spinning little barrels coming in. Choclate brown water. A half dozen guys out.

The one and only time I've seen it like that. You go.....
Before any of you guys get excited, RRM is unbelievably, maddeningly fickle. It might break a few days in a given season. The bar needs the right river water levels to exist, the right breach point along the beach to exist, the right swell conditions to exist (one big swell will rip out all the sand), and then the right swell, tide, and wind need to come along while the bar is there and before the next bigger swell destroys it. It's also impossible to tell how the bar will be without going out there to look at it - there's no "oh, the river is at a higher flow, must be time to hit up the RRM." I think in the 6+ years I lived in Sonoma County I surfed it a dozen to maybe two dozen times.

In fact, pretty much all of Sonoma County is fickle. There are some decent waves up there, but if you don't live there you're not going to score them unless you get exceptionally lucky.

Reactions: RemyXO