Creased Board?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
New board that has a minor crease in the deck courtesy of Hurricane Elsa. Perfectly symmetrical indent less than 1/8th inch deep running 3/4 to each rail on the deck side under the front foot. No visible damage to the glass and no apparent damage to the stringer. Board obviously flexed and sprang back. Should I do anything to it at this stage? Sand it, fill it, glass it? Ride it till it breaks? Might it never break? How compromised do you think this board is? HP shortboard with 4 x 4+4 and patch glass job.

If it were a full on buckle I'd dig right in and fix it. With this one I'm on the fence because it seems so minor. Within a dozen sessions this area of the board will be caved in anyway from the front food. Never had a crease this minor so to speak.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Pictures please.
I could try tonight but honestly I think the damage is so subtle that it won't show up well in pictures. Think of it as it resembling a one inch wide mild pressure that is across the deck at a perfect 90* to the stringer. Perfectly symmetrical on both sides of the stringer. About 10 inches wide on a board that is 19 inches wide. No glass damage anywhere.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
As long as the stringer is intact and there is no damage to the fibreglass on the rails then it should be fine (I think).
The strength of the board is in the stringer itself and the connection between the top sheet of fibreglass to the bottom one. I had a board with severe cracked rails, one day it just gave in for nothing. It didn't have any real connection between the sheets anymore.

Despite your gay crush on Trump and his mötley crue of jewish crooks, your knowledge of structural engineering seems solid from other threads:)

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Ride it till breakage.
Seriously, there's not much you can do without most likely making things worse.
Maybe you've glommed on to a new design.

Reactions: mundus

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
other than treating it as if it were a full on buckle repair grinding it down to the glass for a butterfly patch, theres nothing structural you can do to save it. i agree with soup, not worth it. ride til it breaks

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
fix it right
sand everywhere u want glass to stick, deeply
fill crease to level. glass 2 layers of 4oz over it, wrap rails.
blend sand, hotcoat, fine sand

Reactions: sdsurfrat