Covid times trip- central / south america

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Hey everyone!

Been thinking about doing a trip with the missis somewhere that wont be to much of a pain in the ass to go to.

Were both living in europe and thought perhaps mexico, costa rica, ecuador? Were open to anything really, could even be asia.
Wondered if it would be worth it to bring boards but guess theyre a pain in the ass to carry around and id be dammed to lose 500 bucks+ worth of gear if it would get nicked.
Not sure though if its easy to find good boards to rent by the coast though.

Plans is being able to backpack a bit and see stuff and then spend a few days by the coast and hopefully score. We have around 3 weeks and would prob split it half half.

Any ideas?

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Hey everyone!

Been thinking about doing a trip with the missis somewhere that wont be to much of a pain in the ass to go to.

Were both living in europe and thought perhaps mexico, costa rica, ecuador? Were open to anything really, could even be asia.
Wondered if it would be worth it to bring boards but guess theyre a pain in the ass to carry around and id be dammed to lose 500 bucks+ worth of gear if it would get nicked.
Not sure though if its easy to find good boards to rent by the coast though.

Plans is being able to backpack a bit and see stuff and then spend a few days by the coast and hopefully score. We have around 3 weeks and would prob split it half half.

Any ideas?
Costa is open to tourists, but you need to fill out a digital health pass and purchase a special health insurance policy to cover covid related health care while there. I think the policy costs about $350 per person. I'm not sure what is going on in Mexico or Ecuador.

Costa Rican surf towns usually have plenty of options for board rental if you don't want to deal with taking yours. I've been to Costa dozens of times and flew my boards, and in my experience the airlines flying there don't mash your boards up. I've never had a problem.

Reactions: Barracuda

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Costa is open to tourists, but you need to fill out a digital health pass and purchase a special health insurance policy to cover covid related health care while there. I think the policy costs about $350 per person. I'm not sure what is going on in Mexico or Ecuador.

Costa Rican surf towns usually have plenty of options for board rental if you don't want to deal with taking yours. I've been to Costa dozens of times and flew my boards, and in my experience the airlines flying there don't mash your boards up. I've never had a problem.
Thanks a lot. Just booked for cancun next month and should explore the caribbean side with the missis for a few days before heading to the pacific.

Anyone has an idea of cool surf towns relatively safe, with mellow surf at this time of the year? Im south american myself but would like to be sure to bring back my gringa girlfriend safe home to her parents :p and gets to score a couple since shes still learning

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thanks a lot. Just booked for cancun next month and should explore the caribbean side with the missis for a few days before heading to the pacific.

Anyone has an idea of cool surf towns relatively safe, with mellow surf at this time of the year? Im south american myself but would like to be sure to bring back my gringa girlfriend safe home to her parents :p and gets to score a couple since shes still learning
$.02

It's not South Swell season so everywhere in Mainland other than like two beaches should fit the bill 90%+ of the time, and the other two can be great fun for intermediates on "flat" days.

My assumption is the relatively safe places are the ones where you're smart about it. Puerto and Troncones might be cool surf towns; YMMV.

Worth mentioning: I had a co-worker from Cartagena, and I told him I thought Mexico was great, and he said, great for me, not for him. I was shocked, asked him why since his Spanish is on point and he doesn't look Gringo in the slightest. He said his Spanish was the whole problem, Colombian accent, and he didn't want to have to explain what he was doing there to skeptical people who'd just as soon not risk any competition.

If you're Brazilian you're probably good; I've seen Venezuelans and Argentinians as well having good trips.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Cancun is not a surf destination. Think Florida west coast. Tulum isn’t far if you’re into diving. On Mexico’s west coast think Puerto Vallarta area and north. Maybe Nexpa, south of Lázaro Cárdenas is blocked from any nnw swell. Good luck!

Reactions: Barracuda

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Thanks guys. Yeah not colombian so guess i should be fine, was just worried about the gf really.

Were flying thursday, its kinda confusing since theres so much info online but plan is 10 days-ish caribbean side touristy stuff and another 10ish surfing.

Oaxaca would be great since theres also a bit touristy stuff to see but i reckon there wont be much surf from what ive read, so thought north at sayulita/punta mita would be good in january?

Prob more punta since i really hate to travel somewhere to surf crowded waves, but also heard beach access at punta is a bit restricted with the resorts.

Any thoughts?

Nov 18, 2020
American-Airlines-Reservation.png

American Airlines is the best to plan a trip to South America. As there are many additional features provided by them to the customers. A few of those features are:

1. A welcoming onboard experience.
2. Timely intimation about the flight schedules.
3. A baggage facility is provided.
4. Refunds are easily processed without any hustle to the customer.

If you make an advance by calling American Airlines Phone Number for Reservations, you will definitely be eligible for some additional discounts. Thus, what are you waiting for? Plan your trip today and make full use of the facilities provided by Delta Airlines.

Reactions: Aardwolf

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You and every upwardly mobile American dork that I don't want to be around.

Puerto

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
fook mi, that board is mangled. *gonna pack em much better from now on, just had some brand new akila's dropped right in front of my face by the 'experienced' handler: ( went str8 to the dung-doctor after that.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
How was your board packed? I have had 100% sucess knock on wood: prolite travel session hybrid 2 board bag 6'3, session day bag , and then board sock. Fins, towells, Dafins, leash, sandals, and wax.
It was our second trip to Nica - before we moved here permanently. I had a brand new Lost RockUp and a new Lost V2 Rocket. Boards were packed well - with bubble wrap - foam around the rails etc - new board bag. When we arrived at our destination - discovered both boards damaged after opening up the bag. Immediately got online and contacted the carrier - was told i needed to bring the boards back to the airport (3 hour) drive for them to inspect. Decided to wait until we were leaving to go home. Long story short - when we got back to Managua airport and presented the boards to the airline - one of them left and then came back with a piece of paper - that essentially stated that if the boards are not packed in a "hard" surfboard case they are not responsible. The line at the checkout counter was pretty long behind us - and i went off - i opened the bag pulled the boards out - and shouted "You f'ing did this .... look around everyone has soft board bags" They brought a supervisor over - i reminded them i paid a separate board bag fee etc. Finally - they said that i needed to take the boards back to LAX (where i originally paid the board bag fee) - then they wanted to charge me another board bag fee to take the damaged boards back to LAX. i shot that down pretty quick. So - we make it back to LAX and i have to take the board bag over to a little office - off to the side of where you pick up luggage. I wait in line - and then its my turn - i explain what happened - the gal behind the counter leaves and comes back with a copy of the same letter stated that the boards have to be a "hard" case. Of course - it starts all over again ... this time they tell me that i need a letter from a surfboard shop stated that the board is unrepairable. It's getting heated - another airline employee shows up and comes around the counter and i guess it was an attempt to intimidate me - but quickly backed down ... by this time Mrs. Flyinraptr has collected our other luggage and made her way to the office and could see what was going on. She reached over the counter to get a better look at the initial employee's name tag .... and the employee at that point started shouting "don't ever touch me - i'm calling the police!" Mrs. Flyinraptr grabbed me and dragged me out of the terminal before we got arrested. The next day - Mrs. Flyinraptr - a gold card member with the airlines - called the corporate office and gave them the whole story - they reciprocated with two $300 vouchers. I was at work and was recounting the story with a fellow worker - who inquired as to how i paid for the board bag fee initially - i responded with a credit card. He then asked if the credit card i used had travelers insurance - it did. I contacted the credit card company - they basically said i needed the original receipt of the board and a letter from a surf shop stating it was non-repairable. The next day i took the Rock-Up (V2 had only minor damage) to the Lost Corporate office on my lunch hour. I walked in and a guy says - we're not open to the public .... i show him the board and tell him the story - 20 minutes later i have a letter in hand - from Lost stating the board is damaged beyond repair. I ended up getting a check from the Credit card company for $800 to cover the cost of the board.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It was our second trip to Nica - before we moved here permanently. I had a brand new Lost RockUp and a new Lost V2 Rocket. Boards were packed well - with bubble wrap - foam around the rails etc - new board bag. When we arrived at our destination - discovered both boards damaged after opening up the bag. Immediately got online and contacted the carrier - was told i needed to bring the boards back to the airport (3 hour) drive for them to inspect. Decided to wait until we were leaving to go home. Long story short - when we got back to Managua airport and presented the boards to the airline - one of them left and then came back with a piece of paper - that essentially stated that if the boards are not packed in a "hard" surfboard case they are not responsible. The line at the checkout counter was pretty long behind us - and i went off - i opened the bag pulled the boards out - and shouted "You f'ing did this .... look around everyone has soft board bags" They brought a supervisor over - i reminded them i paid a separate board bag fee etc. Finally - they said that i needed to take the boards back to LAX (where i originally paid the board bag fee) - then they wanted to charge me another board bag fee to take the damaged boards back to LAX. i shot that down pretty quick. So - we make it back to LAX and i have to take the board bag over to a little office - off to the side of where you pick up luggage. I wait in line - and then its my turn - i explain what happened - the gal behind the counter leaves and comes back with a copy of the same letter stated that the boards have to be a "hard" case. Of course - it starts all over again ... this time they tell me that i need a letter from a surfboard shop stated that the board is unrepairable. It's getting heated - another airline employee shows up and comes around the counter and i guess it was an attempt to intimidate me - but quickly backed down ... by this time Mrs. Flyinraptr has collected our other luggage and made her way to the office and could see what was going on. She reached over the counter to get a better look at the initial employee's name tag .... and the employee at that point started shouting "don't ever touch me - i'm calling the police!" Mrs. Flyinraptr grabbed me and dragged me out of the terminal before we got arrested. The next day - Mrs. Flyinraptr - a gold card member with the airlines - called the corporate office and gave them the whole story - they reciprocated with two $300 vouchers. I was at work and was recounting the story with a fellow worker - who inquired as to how i paid for the board bag fee initially - i responded with a credit card. He then asked if the credit card i used had travelers insurance - it did. I contacted the credit card company - they basically said i needed the original receipt of the board and a letter from a surf shop stating it was non-repairable. The next day i took the Rock-Up (V2 had only minor damage) to the Lost Corporate office on my lunch hour. I walked in and a guy says - we're not open to the public .... i show him the board and tell him the story - 20 minutes later i have a letter in hand - from Lost stating the board is damaged beyond repair. I ended up getting a check from the Credit card company for $800 to cover the cost of the board.
Similiar experience returning to US from CR only no board(s) it was our son who was born in CR but US citizen. Laws changed no clue CR trying to stop child trafficing. I almost lost it when airline said you and wife can go but son stays. Security was called and almost took me out in hand cuffs.