Covid Skepticism

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
It isn't a conspiracy, it's a cascade failure. Fear and stupidity are fvcking and multiplying quicker than the small fraction of people who are reasonable can complain about the bad math. That doesn't mean anyone is out to get anyone else and doesn't require some impossible level of cohesion. It just means people are stupid and fearful and anyone thoughtful is seen as selfish for not bending right over.
The "we're all in this together" attitude is nice to have for morale but it doesn't work one bit when it comes to reality.

The people who need to be quarantined most, the old, the at-risk, and the healthcare workers are just as "free" as the rest of us

It makes no sense that people working in COVID wards are able to come home and move more freely than anyone when they are swimming in the virus daily

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So you don't think the health care system will get overwhelmed by the virus?

What are you basing this on?

I agree that the media is being high drama.

But they do that with the weather.

So why wouldn't they do that with an outbreak?
New York is the world epicenter now and they're handling it. Bringing in extra staff and creating tents and stuff is helping

Also, no one should go to the doctor/hospital unless they are actually dying or something is broken

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
New York is the world epicenter now and they're handling it. Bringing in extra staff and creating tents and stuff is helping

Also, no one should go to the doctor/hospital unless they are actually dying or something is broken
They are handling it by taking extreme preventative measures.

Do you think they could handle it if they treated it as a bad flu?

Someone posted an article in which the Dr said the social distancing is affecting the virus.

How do the people who are saying this is an overreaction know the outcome of an under reaction?

If it is an over reaction won't it kill the virus all the more quickly allowing a return to our previous gilded age?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phi1 and Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The "we're all in this together" attitude is nice to have for morale but it doesn't work one bit when it comes to reality.

The people who need to be quarantined most, the old, the at-risk, and the healthcare workers are just as "free" as the rest of us
We're living in a gerontocracy where the elderly do most of the voting for the elderly. Congress is very old; the voters are, on average, old. The government is for them. I certainly don't think the government is run for people like me who are in their working years providing for a family.

Because of the fifth commandment, I definitely think we should preserve the lives of the elderly, but Germany and Japan have found a way to do this without total lockdown and both countries have a high median age.

"We're in this together" needs to start working both ways.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
We're living in a gerontocracy where the elderly do most of the voting for the elderly. Congress is very old; the voters are, on average, old. The government is for them. I certainly don't think the government is run for people like me who are in their working years providing for a family.
~snip~
Good point.
"Coronavirus Makes American Gerontocracy Even More Dangerous"
More than any point in history, the U.S. is ruled by the elderly, the people most vulnerable to COVID-19.

As i sit outside at a beach lookin' for a shark(z) to jump, my mind often wanders,
thought too that 1 of thee main reasons the country is locked down is so the old~fogie folks,
who vote, who have the power, who run the country, like Mitchie, age: 78 + Nancy, who turned 80 thee other day,

don't die soon...
:eek:

Last edited:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
Too f**kin' funny:
The Hill: Trump After Hearing Romney Is In Self-Quarantine: 'Gee, That's Too Bad'
President Trump said Sunday it's "too bad" that Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) is in isolation due to exposure to a fellow Senate Republican who tested positive for the coronavirus. "Romney's in isolation?" Trump said during the daily White House briefing after being asked about the senators in isolation. "Gee, that's too bad," the president added.

Where's a youngster like John. F. Kennedy when ya need him?

:cool:

PS ~ Edit add-in:
Vanessa cardui
seem to be migratin' thu L.A. today, as i've seen more, right now, in the last 10 minutes, than since last year...
Go for a drive with your family soon, betcha the California Poppy'z + 'Painted Lady'z' will be a joy to see, again!
:shaka:

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Is it the desire to save the old people or to manage the quantity of old people choking up the health care system, rendering it useless?

Can we have a functional society with a crippled overwhelmed health care system?

I don't know.

What does that look like?

I'm loving the certainty of the usual suspects though.

I think it's funny how I always disagree with the naysayers but I hope they are right.

Is there such a thing as unmotivated reasoning?

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
How do the people who are saying this is an overreaction know the outcome of an under reaction?

If it is an over reaction won't it kill the virus all the more quickly allowing a return to our previous gilded age?
That's the problem with and difficulty in "selling" preventative measures. When they go right, nothing happens. Boring is the expected and hoped for outcome.

You only notice it when things go wrong because body counts are very tangible things. "Lives saved" are mostly projections and speculations.

For the usual suspects, think of it like this:
Many claim gun-free zones are soft targets, that an armed society can stop and have stopped mass shootings. The thing is no one can say exactly how many lives were saved or could have been saved. But they can buy time until help arrives.

Social distancing and lockdowns aren't a cure but they buy time for treatment and an eventual vaccine.

Reactions: Aruka and FecalFace

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Not according to Nietzsche.
He claimed every kind of reasoning, morals, value systems, every kind of thinking was a kind of post hoc rationalisation.
What about not believing in heaven and the afterlife?

I would love to believe that after I died I could see all my friends and family members who have died.

Perhaps I'm motivated to live the life of a person who relies on rational thought to experience life?

It's not like I have a choice.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias

It makes no sense that people working in COVID wards are able to come home and move more freely than anyone when they are swimming in the virus daily
So you don't have a problem if 50+ year olds suffer "loss of freedom"? It's just your "freedom" that matters, even though you are carrying the disease. Nothing is your responsibility.

You said in other thread that 'boomers should just die because they only have a couple of years left anyway'.

But you don't want to sacrifice anyone in your family to save the economy. Hmmm.

The youngest Boomers are 55, should they just give up life because it's inconveniencing you?

This is why you're a garbage human being.

No different than fucking Joeljitsu. #kookoftheday

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and Mr J

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
THis is why young people should vote

Young = less than 35

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Yeah people over 50 don't provide for their families.

Good job that you're never going to get old.

Fucking Benjamin Button.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Anecdotal but, my 72 yer old wife was feeling really really bad with a dry hacking cough, mild fever and aches in places that never ached before. Took her to Scripps Urgent Care in Torrey Pines. There were dozens in the main lobby (most or all had those blue paper masks on), the UC waiting room was packed. Wife said screw it and wanted to return home. As there was the “flu” going aroundI convinced her to stay. When she was finally examined, the PA told us most everyone appeared to have similar symptom and the cultures indicated it was a virus but not the flu. He gave her a few prescriptions and told her to go home, wash hands, wear mask etc., for a week or until she was better. This was early January. Wife kicked it in 5-6 days.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So you don't have a problem if 50+ year olds suffer "loss of freedom"? It's just your "freedom" that matters, even though you are carrying the disease. Nothing is your responsibility.

You said in other thread that 'boomers should just die because they only have a couple of years left anyway'.

But you don't want to sacrifice anyone in your family to save the economy. Hmmm.

The youngest Boomers are 55, should they just give up life because it's inconveniencing you?

This is why you're a garbage human being.

No different than fucking Joeljitsu. #kookoftheday
Standard Fecalizing

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Hmmmm....the optics don't add up to the TV hype....
This is the only video Bohter has ever posted that I've watched and haven't immediately thought "What a crock of sh!t". However the woman who made it is really annoying...so there is that! The Irish woman walking through the empty tents was good for a laugh!