Covid and seasonal allergies or common cold.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Every year in late September or early October I get some sort of head cold, sinus infection or severe allergies. Its like clockwork. Kicks my butt for a week or two every fall. Mold, pollen or something triggers it right around when the goldenrod is blooming and the leaves start turning.

In the Covid era should I just plan on a 14 day vacation when this arrives? Face it, nobody is going to want to be around someone with severe head cold symptoms.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been feeling rotten the past two days, slight headache, 100 degree fever. Normally I would just brush it off. Now I'm thinking, could this be the big bad virus? I always try to get through minor stuff like this without reaching for the Vitamin I (ibuprofen) but yesterday, during online teaching I felt so bad I had to excuse myself and get some water and "vitamins."

We'll see how this plays out.

Before I started teaching I never got sick. When I started teaching and saw I had ten sick days I was thinking ,"Yeah, surf days." First my two years teaching I used up every sick day for the flu. The classroom is a viral incubator.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've been feeling rotten the past two days, slight headache, 100 degree fever. Normally I would just brush it off. Now I'm thinking, could this be the big bad virus? I always try to get through minor stuff like this without reaching for the Vitamin I (ibuprofen) but yesterday, during online teaching I felt so bad I had to excuse myself and get some water and "vitamins."

We'll see how this plays out.

Before I started teaching I never got sick. When I started teaching and saw I had ten sick days I was thinking ,"Yeah, surf days." First my two years teaching I used up every sick day for the flu. The classroom is a viral incubator.
On the flip side my fishing partner that teaches brags how he's immune from everything and never gets sick BECAUSE he's a teacher and gets exposed to everything.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
On the flip side my fishing partner that teaches brags how he's immune from everything and never gets sick BECAUSE he's a teacher and gets exposed to everything.
I thought I would have super immunity after living three years in subtropical Africa and living thrpiught malaria, filaria/onchocercosis, typhoid fever and who knows what else. Didn't happen. Probably weakened my immune system.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
when I switched to elementary (after 12 years in HS) and had 2 kids, I stopped getting sick. Used to get colds a couple times and flu maybe once a year. Now, nothing.

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
At the beginning of all this (covid) I had my usually seasonal allergies, went into costco one day and sneezed in the check out line and it was like a seen from a movie, everyone tuned and looked at me. It was kinda spooky.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Everyone has a theory, anecdotes, and opinions but in reality, science matters as do analytics. Get a flu shot, wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, avoid sick people, be healthy-ish (fresh air, plenty of water, good diet, exercise and rest). Ever wonder why the infection rate of hospital workers is fairly low? They wear masks, wash their hands, and isolate the infectious patients. If they didn't? Contagion and illness. Common sense or applied science?

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Speaking of science and analytics, there is a new theory of COVID-19’s pathway development making the rounds and gaining ground. It says that COVID-19 escalates into a Bradykinin storm. Previously COVID-19’s allergy effects were said to spring from a cytokine storm, a true allergic reaction.

The new theory explains the lung fluid, apoptosis and cell death seen in serious COVID-19 cases. The pathway leading to a Bradykinin storm leads down the RAS pathway. Apparently the RAS pathway is more robust than I knew.

The 2nd article above shows some of the supporting evidence so far.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
just read today that besides ACE2, there is another receptor (heparan sulfate) that facilitates the binding to ACE2 and that heparin, the blood thinner, could block covid2 from binding to heparan sulfate.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I think we'll see that it is far more complex than any one pathophysiologic process. And host susceptibility plays a big role as we've seen with the elderly and those with comorbid conditions.