couple of weird ones

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
The "last of us" Shroom board by good old Bert (father of Firewire)
Love listening to Bert, seems he should keep a bintang in his hand while talking.
Seem like he through all the bells and whistles in this model

Ten there's the pickled version of a mini-sims
ETC Unicorn (where's Ben and his woven bamboo Pickle?)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The "last of us" Shroom board by good old Bert (father of Firewire)
Love listening to Bert, seems he should keep a bintang in his hand while talking.
Seem like he through all the bells and whistles in this model

Ten there's the pickled version of a mini-sims

The ETC guy is just up the road from from me. He's got one I can demo but I keep forgetting to go and grab it to try. There was a 5'10" for sale locally on Marketplace in as new condition for months and I just checked to see if it was still for sale. Must have sold as the seller eventually dropped the price enough to pique someone's curiousity. ($450 Aud). Solid alt builds.
I'll be over in Thailand later this year and was thinking of going to have a look at Khao Lak where Bert has his factory. Never been there and be good to be able to check out some of his boards. I have an 8 ball 8'er which is never leaving my quiver. The Torpedo groveller has been on my radar for a long time but no one over here carries stock of them.
Looking at the torpedo's template gotta wonder if Dan Mann's been looking over Bert's website as well because his sweet potato 2 is its doppelganger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
...Ten there's the pickled version of a mini-sims
... .
I found some more review vid from the same chap. First vid has some POV vid, the second vid has better second person perspective. Reviewer's accent is west country uk. I thought either Cornwall or N or S Devon (two different coasts) - the latter south of Cornwall. Then when I saw the fine flat sand I thought N Devon. Checked out big guy boards .com and he is from N Devon.

Waves in N Devon are weaker than Cornwall because it is at the entrance to the shallow Bristol Channel. So those point waves would be weak - board is projecting quite well for the rider.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The ETC guy is just up the road from from me. He's got one I can demo but I keep forgetting to go and grab it to try. There was a 5'10" for sale locally on Marketplace in as new condition for months and I just checked to see if it was still for sale. Must have sold as the seller eventually dropped the price enough to pique someone's curiousity. ($450 Aud). Solid alt builds.
... .
BGB chap absolutely loves the unicorn. He is selling them for 820 GB sterling, which is $1426 AUD or US$988. ETC website sells locally for $1050 AUD (I think - priced per length).

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Board looked horrible in those weak, flat waves.

he had to hop it around all over the joint to make it go- it was slow and boggy and did not have any kind of trim built in.

He's tripping if he thinks he could go lower volume- he needs more volume.

Reactions: 000

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Board looked horrible in those weak, flat waves.

he had to hop it around all over the joint to make it go- it was slow and boggy and did not have any kind of trim built in.

He's tripping if he thinks he could go lower volume- he needs more volume.
Just quietly I watched those clips ages ago and that's why I haven't bothered to go and grab the demo.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
He talked that board up so much I was expecting something special. He would have done better on a fish.
The similarly concepted (is that a word?) firewire cornice didn't hang around for very long either.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I bet my 5-fined fish from Greg would be better than that ETC in those conditions as it reminds me of my home breaks on a normal sidewind chopped up day. The ETC reminds me of the peanut swaylocks Ben made in the early 2000's with the woven bamboo skin I sent him and that livermore labs foam he got. Whenever I see Bert I think of Speedneedle (josh).

Attachments

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I bet my 5-fined fish from Greg would be better than that ETC in those conditions as it reminds me of my home breaks on a normal sidewind chopped up day. ...
contrary to the views of the other respondents I actually think the BGB chap is going ok on the ETC. I'm taking into account that he is not some former elite surfer like Noel Salas and in weak waves plus he is a big bloke - maybe 100KG? Only a longboar with really good rider on would make those conditions look good. That wave could be shortboared and there would be even more fish killer hopping around. I bet there were some shortboar riders out enjoying themselves - just not going great.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
contrary to the views of the other respondents I actually think the BGB chap is going ok on the ETC. I'm taking into account that he is not some former elite surfer like Noel Salas and in weak waves plus he is a big bloke - maybe 100KG? Only a longboar with really good rider on would make those conditions look good. That wave could be shortboared and there would be even more fish killer hopping around. I bet there were some shortboar riders out enjoying themselves - just not going great.
Its good to get different takes, there's no point to a forum where everyone just agrees with each other. I watched the last video again (surfing parts only) in case I missed something and came to the same conclusion.
I should support him as he's from the uk and trying to do do something useful for the heavier surfer. However that board didn't get speed unless it was turning, every time it went straight it almost stopped and he had to pump it, even right in the pocket. Unless I've muddled up videos, at one point he says you don't need to pump this board but thats what he had to do every time he stopped turning. Either way he thinks its a good board for him and maybe others like him so that's fine.
I'm pretty sure a couple of my "normal" boards would go as well as that one but I'm not 100kg so maybe that's the crux?
Keyboard warrior out!

Reactions: Mr J

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
My GMM2 would eat that sh!t up.

Part of why it would do so well out there is the ability to drive off the straight rail line.

I'm sure the extreme incuts feel good turning, but they would inhibit the down the line drive that you need in soft waves.

To take advantage of an incut like that, you need a wave with plenty of power and push where you don't need to generate your own speed.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
looks like hes 50 pounds too heavy for it on those rights