Costochondritis

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Pretty sure I have this... unless I'm about to die of a heart attack or pancreatic cancer..??..

Picture a super intense calf cramp in your lower leg, that I'm sure we've al had, that just lights up all of a sudden and has you squirming to stretch it out and get it to calm down. Now picture that same cramp in your sternum next to your lower ribcage (generally on the left side) however, you cant do much to stretch it out but spread your arms wide and un-clench your chest.

I've had this flare up for years, and not just after a surf, but many times when hunching over while pulling my wetsuit off, my sternum / inner ribs will tighten and cramp intensely for 10-20 seconds until I can stretch out and get it to subside.

WTF!?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anything that involves chest pain, I personally would go to my MD and get checked. One thing I learned about the heart is often times we sense the pain in an area that does not correspond with the actual source.

Reactions: santacruzin

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I had it diagnosed last yr. surfing would cause it to flare up bad. It would really hurt going prone to sit up on board. Also, it would kill when i first started paddling. for me, it was a sharp pain. I made a homemade padded vest for under my wetsuit. Wore it for almost a year. That seems to have healed it. Just started surfing without it.

BentoBox70

OTF status
Dec 9, 2016
South Bay CA
I've had this happen when I played golf and surfing. Painful as f*ck.
Just need to take it easy and let it heal on it's own.
Ease back into the activity.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
What would **** me off is guys saying it’s minor. sore ribs from paddling like you get after you haven’t surfed in a while or tropics. I’d say this ain’t that. Not close.

Jun 3, 2014
Wen't to the ER for this once before I knew what it was. Definitely get it diagnosed, but the muscle relaxers they gave me helped.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Costochondritis, often tender to movement, pressure, and touching. Yes, chronic often due to repeated rubbing/irritation. You said "tighten and cramp" and that may signify some sort of muscular spasm of the intercostal muscles or associated musculature of the rib cage.