Costco Hyperlite Longboard

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Anybody buy one of these for fucking around on crappy days yet? I have a Wavestorm but the weight makes taking it out in NorCal beachbreak a pain in the ass. For $300, this thing can't be that bad if it's indestructible...

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
More and more i'm seeing spots where there's 75% soft tops. Surf shops have been forced to stock soft boards since that's what sells, with the hope that soft boards are just a gateway drug to the "real" thing.

But I can't help but wonder: how long before pop-out performance boards are taking over lineups? How much longer can surf shops hold out against the glut of cheap Chinese product? And how long before American surf manufacturers develop a reasonable facsimile of a "custom" performance surfboard and outsource the bulk of the work overseas?

Pick up some of the Chinese or Korean Epiphone guitars and you often have a high quality musical instrument. A couple years ago I had a Chinese Epi Sheraton and damn if that guitar didn't sing, and it never went out of tune.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
Anybody buy one of these for fucking around on crappy days yet? I have a Wavestorm but the weight makes taking it out in NorCal beachbreak a pain in the ass. For $300, this thing can't be that bad if it's indestructible...
The cork deck on them is interesting (if that’s what you’re referring to).

I’d never buy one. Just get a used fun board off CL and stick some cork on it. Better to reuse something than to buy a cheap polluting Chinese board. For $300 you should be able to find something pretty good.

Nothing beats a Wavestorm though...

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Softops are fun in small, crappy waves. And fun in good waves, too, because you don't expect anything, so you have to figure out how to turn them. To be honest I'm often happier with an 8' softop than with my custom 9'6" longboard, with a burly glass job and triple stringers.

The dirty truth about all those used "funboards" on CL or clogging up consignment racks is that if they were any good they wouldn't be there.

Softops etc have a design optimized for beginners and soft, mushy waves.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
my wife really wants a surftech funboard (cuz theyre light)
costco board looked pretty good for $300. but it only comes in 8'- too long

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
my regular board is a 5/10 softie.
its OK because i don't have a social media presence.
or messianic hair. or any hair.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
acnjusa said:
It's funny, lately when I see kids riding bikes to an from the beach, more often than not they've got Beaters or some other kind of Catchsurf product under their arms.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The more of these videos I see the more I think the whole world of surfboard design is bullspit.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgMlZJn1GM&t=64s[/video]

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
hal9000 said:
acnjusa said:
It's funny, lately when I see kids riding bikes to an from the beach, more often than not they've got Beaters or some other kind of Catchsurf product under their arms. [/quote

here the kids ride 4/10's that sink.
but their hair looks great.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
hal9000 said:
acnjusa said:
It's funny, lately when I see kids riding bikes to an from the beach, more often than not they've got Beaters or some other kind of Catchsurf product under their arms.
I rode a Beater 54 today in chest high close outs.

Fun.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Duffy said:
hal9000 said:
acnjusa said:
I rode a Beater 54 today in chest high close outs.

Fun.
I'd argue that these eleventeen-year-olds are capturing the more pure form of surfing because they don't care about what fins they're using, they're not agonizing over which of the 15 boards hanging in their garage rafters to ride, not concerned with jockeying in the lineup, and aren't sitting there talking about rocker and liters. They're just going to out to fvck around and ride waves with friends then come home and eat all the junknfood in their houses.