Costa Rica with Family - Nov. or Dec.?

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
I need some help with planning a trip to Costa Rica with my wife and 2 year old son. We usually go to Puerto Rico in the winter, but we are switching things up this year. I've never been to Costa Rica before, but I have done some basic research online. First, is there a big difference in the surf between Nov. and Dec? We can go either month, so I would prefer to go when the conditions are better if there is a difference. Next up, where to go that is mellow and accommodating for my wife and son? My son loves the beach and we would plan on taking him in the morning and afternoon, so being close to the beach is ideal. I would prefer to be within walking distance of a good surfing beach so we could chill there and also make runs back to the house/condo/hotel. Being close to a town would be nice so we would have some options for food/drinks/etc. In terms of my surf ability, I'm an intermediate surfer, and would prefer to surf somewhere not super crowded that has a nice chest-high wave. It looks like a lot of the beach breaks meet this criteria, so that's cool. If anyone has some recommendations on where to go, places to stay, things to do I would appreciate the intel.

Dudebro

Nep status
Jul 17, 2007
Oceanside
At that time the Guanacaste Peninsula is a good bet. Fly into Liberia if you can. Been too long since I have been there to comment more.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
Been in Guanacaste many times in late November/early December. The swell size will vary from waist high to shoulder/head high....that's just my experience. IMO, the swell will pick up better in Nosara (Playa Guiones), a beach break, than it will in the more northern breaks like Negra/Avellanas/Grande. The beach is less crowded as well. Plenty of accommodations and walking distance to the beach.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
ThaDood said:
Been in Guanacaste many times in late November/early December. The swell size will vary from waist high to shoulder/head high....that's just my experience. IMO, the swell will pick up better in Nosara (Playa Guiones), a beach break, than it will in the more northern breaks like Negra/Avellanas/Grande. The beach is less crowded as well. Plenty of accommodations and walking distance to the beach.
THIS.

Have a couple of friends I grew up with in Jersey, that have been going to Playa Guiones for about 4-5 years and have it completely dialed. They do one 'boys' trip a year and then do one with their families, as well.

I got all the info from those guys, and took my family down there, back in March - super, super easy and it turned out a GREAT family vacation, filled with lots of activities, and 2-3 surf sessions every day - all within walking distance from the house we rented.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you info.

March was killer, but we had multiple people (both locals and 'regular' visitors) tell us to come back in November, as it's 'the best month'.

:cheers:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Salsa Brava Puerto Viejo turns on best this time of year starting it November goes tell March :wave2: