Costa Rica this summer

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
It's crazy we can't figure out where we stayed. It was in Playa Guiones pretty much on the water. Swim up bar, restaurant, etc. Place was cool, room was just so so. If I were to do it again I would look for an airbnb
yea kinda want a kitchen vs. going out to eat everyday

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I know it was right near beach dog cafe and coconut harry's surf school. I surfed out front from there and the immediate area was quiet and nice. I want to go back with the kids this time.

Reactions: grg

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
can you say where you stayed or anyone else for that matter. So many places to chose from
I don't want to publicly besmirch the hotel publicly. My main complaints were all beyond their control. I'll send you a PM later with more specific info.

We also took the kids to Dominical. Thought it was generally more laid back overall and easily less busy. I'd say surf options and beaches are probably a little better in ST -- but it's splitting hairs as their are plenty of options in Dominical/Uvita area as well.

Plenty to do besides surf in both of those locations as well.

ST seemed to really attact the young-looking-to-party crowd much more than Dominical, but you could avoid that fairly easily if you wanted. If you can find an Airbnb up the hill or on the beach that suits your needs, it would probably be great.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Any of you guys fly Delta recently and if so how strict were they on board bag sizing?

Only bringing two boards in a quad bag so should be very close to their sizing requirement. Prob wont even measure but you never know.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Just got back from 5 days in Nosara, great trip with the fam. Hotel was nice and lots of good food in town.

Not so good for surf, just seemed to be in the wrong spot for all my surf sessions. There was plenty of size but too much swell for Playa Guiones. Took one little morning trip to Ostional and got a few corners, but the day before was peakier.

Whatsapp is the communication app of choice and it was super easy to call a ride, schedule activities and even get our Covid test setup.

Flew into/out of Liberia airport with Alaska, no issue with the boards and no charge.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Just got back from 5 days in Nosara, great trip with the fam. Hotel was nice and lots of good food in town.

Not so good for surf, just seemed to be in the wrong spot for all my surf sessions. There was plenty of size but too much swell for Playa Guiones. Took one little morning trip to Ostional and got a few corners, but the day before was peakier.

Whatsapp is the communication app of choice and it was super easy to call a ride, schedule activities and even get our Covid test setup.

Flew into/out of Liberia airport with Alaska, no issue with the boards and no charge.
Yea Ive been looking at the Surfline Cam for Guiones and just looks ok. Hope to get a couple while there but no biggie if I dont.

What activities did you do while there?

cheers

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
There used to be a pretty rad zipline tour there. A few rainforest platforms and also at least one mountain top to mountain top line that is massive. When we went we had a group of fat midwesterners join ours. The first lady that went either didn't listen to instructions, froze with fear, or wasn't strong enough to slow her moment using the leather gloves provided and shitwhipped one of the tiny Ticos off his feet into a full rotation flip when he tried to stop her from slamming into mountain (which she did anyway). That was the end of their tour.

Also highly recommend at least a half day fishing excursion down there. The ocean is so alive and full of tuna, mahi, roosterfish, sailfish, spinner dolphins, etc. it is unbelievable.

Reactions: KyleTalbott and grg

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Any of you guys fly Delta recently and if so how strict were they on board bag sizing?

Only bringing two boards in a quad bag so should be very close to their sizing requirement. Prob wont even measure but you never know.
FWIW, To LIR a few weeks ago, I checked an 8 foot board in a single 8 foot bag and my son checked my 6'0 fish and his 5-3 thruster in a 2 board 7 foot bag on Delta. No issues.

Reactions: grg

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
There used to be a pretty rad zipline tour there. A few rainforest platforms and also at least one mountain top to mountain top line that is massive. When we went we had a group of fat midwesterners join ours. The first lady that went either didn't listen to instructions, froze with fear, or wasn't strong enough to slow her moment using the leather gloves provided and shitwhipped one of the tiny Ticos off his feet into a full rotation flip when he tried to stop her from slamming into mountain (which she did anyway). That was the end of their tour.

Also highly recommend at least a half day fishing excursion down there. The ocean is so alive and full of tuna, mahi, roosterfish, sailfish, spinner dolphins, etc. it is unbelievable.
We did that zipline tour. That was great! My daughter was about 2 or 3, and was in my "lap" as we went across the valley. In hindsight, maybe not the greatest decision, but now that we can look back at it 15 years ago, it is such a great memory. My boys were a few years older and loved it!

Reactions: sizzld1 and grg

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
FWIW, To LIR a few weeks ago, I checked an 8 foot board in a single 8 foot bag and my son checked my 6'0 fish and his 5-3 thruster in a 2 board 7 foot bag on Delta. No issues.
Stoked, thanks for the info. Figured it will be fine but never know right?!

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Ziplining thru the Jungle is rad. Did it in Playa Hermosa and was cool going thru the trees etc.

Fishing could be fun. Need to check with the lady though LOL

thanks

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
We did the ATV tour, which was really fun but a lot more than just riding down a dirt road with bumps. We went up into the jungle, forded the river a bunch and jumped off a waterfall. Not a technical ride but way more "exciting" than I expected.

The SUP river tour was really chill, not as many animals as I hoped but my family really enjoyed it.

We rented bikes to get around but it's easier to just jump into a Tuk Tuk to get a ride where you want to go. Plus they all use whatsapp and come grab you in 10 minutes or less.

Tierra Magnifica is worth a meal just for the view and La Luna is dining on the beach (good for breakfast).

As for the surf...

Playa Guiones is a big beach and I only had small windows/family in tow to surf near to the hotel. The swell I had looked better than it surfed. Peaks broke randomly and either closed out or backed off, I got a few good waves but nothing more than 3 turns. I was warned about crowds but there was rarely more than a couple heads sitting on the outside. I think it gets crowded when it's small, ton of surf schools in the area. Wind blows sideshore in the afternoon.

I think a little exploring will easily get you some decent surf: Playa Garza (south) has a couple reef setups, Playa Nosara is a rivermouth beachbreak that looked better than Guiones. Ostional (North) is a dumpy beachbreak with a lot of power. Don't be fooled by the locals, they say everything is 5-10 minutes away, it's more like 20-30 minutes by car.

Reactions: sizzld1 and grg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I can't recall whether it was closer to tamarindo or guiones but the wife and I did the zip lines that were supposedly one of the highest in the world and although it sounds pretty cheesdick touristy it was really fricken cool

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
As for the surf...

Playa Guiones is a big beach and I only had small windows/family in tow to surf near to the hotel. The swell I had looked better than it surfed. Peaks broke randomly and either closed out or backed off, I got a few good waves but nothing more than 3 turns. I was warned about crowds but there was rarely more than a couple heads sitting on the outside. I think it gets crowded when it's small, ton of surf schools in the area. Wind blows sideshore in the afternoon.
I'm going to Guiones for a week at the end of this month. what boards did you bring?