Costa Rica this summer

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
How's it been? Is the COVID insurance an issue? Any issues coming back stateside?

Headed down in a couple weeks.

My east coast trip got deep sixed till september/october.

Reactions: parkiteric

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Im looking to head down that way second week of Aug. No idea where to go....

Where are you going there?

Ive only been to Playa hermosa

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
+1 on these questions

headed down there in late August too, haha

wondering about easiest transportation from Liberia airport to Nosara area

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
+1 on these questions

headed down there in late August too, haha

wondering about easiest transportation from Liberia airport to Nosara area
why did you pick that area? My brain is overheating looking and thinking of where to go. Want to go somewhere the Lady can have fun as well.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
why did you pick that area? My brain is overheating looking and thinking of where to go. Want to go somewhere the Lady can have fun as well.
I think someone on here was asking for recs a little while back and a few people mentioned Nosara area had fun waves and had other stuff to do besides surf. someone brought up Hotel La Negra in Guiones, was a little pricier than I wanted to go, so I just found a decent Airbnb nearby

Last edited:
Reactions: grg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Whats she like doing? Can score off season Salsa Bravo escape Pacific side for a week and try Caribbean cuisine. Many cool parks North "Puerto Vargas" and South "Gandoca-Manzanillo" of Puerto Viejo...

Reactions: theburchards2

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Whats she like doing? Can score off season Salsa Bravo escape Pacific side for a week and try Caribbean cuisine. Many cool parks North "Puerto Vargas" and South "Gandoca-Manzanillo" of Puerto Viejo...
yoga, hiking, etc. Guess not just a surf spot and have fun with the lady as well.
ill check those out, thanks

Reactions: rowjimmytour

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I think they're waiving the insurance requirement beginning August 1 for those who are vaccinated.
Also, I personally know 2 people who tested positive down there despite vaccines, and had to stay an extra 7-14 days in quarantine before coming back to the US. Just be aware of your fall back plans.

• Wow
Reactions: grendel95

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
However, I also know 3 people who went to Nica via Liberia in Costa Rica and had no issues whatsoever, even though they had to purchase the insurance.

Reactions: parkiteric

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Good info! Neighbors down the road said not to cheap out on the insurance. I guess they went with another family that tried the cheapest option and they had issues in customs entering the country.

Headed to Nosara, Wife went a couple years ago and loved it (Yoga, horseback riding, river SUP, nature hikes).

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Fine and easy, the COVID insurance is as simple as buying a travel policy online, coming back stateside just requires a COVID rapid test that you can get at the LIR airport (but must book in advance)

Reactions: grendel95

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Good info! Neighbors down the road said not to cheap out on the insurance. I guess they went with another family that tried the cheapest option and they had issues in customs entering the country.

Headed to Nosara, Wife went a couple years ago and loved it (Yoga, horseback riding, river SUP, nature hikes).
super easy. Just make sure you check the boxes and get your QR code’s before you fly. You can get a rapid test at the airport (at least in Liberia) before you return. Has to be one of most dialed countries in terms of handling tourists during COVID

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Been going crazy looking at airbnb etc. Lady friend wants to stay in Santa Teresa/north.

anyone stayed in that zone and have any recs.?

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Been going crazy looking at airbnb etc. Lady friend wants to stay in Santa Teresa/north.

anyone stayed in that zone and have any recs.?
Just there with the fam -- stayed in a place right by suck rock (north end of ST). That town is busy right now -- even a bit busy on north end of town, and north end of town is definitely more laid back than the main town area. If you're sold on the location, find something off the main road or you're going to be listening to dudes revving their bike engines at night. Read reviews about the places you're considering to see what people are complaining about these days. You might be good with a little noise if you're staying up later with the special lady friend, but we weren't super stoked about that sort of thing. We had kiddos with us.

At our spot, in addition to the revving bike noises, we had some dude across the street who fancied himself a DJ, playing 10 seconds or so of random songs and hooting -- all clearly audible inside our cabina despite the white-noise sound machines provided by the hotel (when we got there, I saw them and thought it was a bad sign).

If doing it over, I'd find something right on the beach (thus off the main road) but not near the disco (La Lora) or something up the hill a bit. Or I'd just go somewhere else.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
not 100% set on that location but guessing all over is busy especially if a quieter zone is busy.

Were kinda thinking in the hills and may even look at Uvita area.

Not a stay up late kinda deal with us either. Where did you stay if you dont mind sharing

thanks for the detailed info.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
It's crazy we can't figure out where we stayed. It was in Playa Guiones pretty much on the water. Swim up bar, restaurant, etc. Place was cool, room was just so so. If I were to do it again I would look for an airbnb