Costa Rica resorts within walking distance of waves that are fun on a HPSB

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Knowing the CR people pretty well I would not encourage you to pay one guy unless group of guys (2+) not fair fight best not to bring or leave in car or out of site things you might miss. Also highly encourage tourist not to pay cops cash (under table) for tickets regardless how much claim ticket well be. Your car rental place should take care of it and can bill you or you can pay at bank. Just tell officer in English always regardless how fluent you are in Spanish to write ticket please so you can go. Almost always they well let you go with warning and no ticket.
Dudes in black uniforms with automatic weapons and tactical sh!t are not to be fucked with.
I got pulled over by a local cop once.
He started talking about how he could write me a ticket or I could pay him the fine on the spot.
So I say in Frankenstein Spanish write that ticket motherfooker and I’ll take it and pay it at the bank.
We settled on $10 and off I went.

I spaced on the time I could’ve gotten car jacked driving after dark from Dominical back to the tree farm in the hills above Uvita I was working at. Came up on what looked like a pick up with a mechanical issue that also looked kinda shady so I kept on going and they followed. I killed my headlights at one point while ditching them. I’m not sure if I had a machete in the truck.

Im not sure if things have changed but driving at night was a bad idea in general because of what I liked to call the Tico Road Party.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Dudes in black uniforms with automatic weapons and tactical sh!t are not to be fucked with.
I got pulled over by a local cop once.
He started talking about how he could write me a ticket or I could pay him the fine on the spot.
So I say in Frankenstein Spanish write that ticket motherfooker and I’ll take it and pay it at the bank.
We settled on $10 and off I went.

I spaced on the time I could’ve gotten car jacked driving after dark from Dominical back to the tree farm in the hills above Uvita I was working at. Came up on what looked like a pick up with a mechanical issue that also looked kinda shady so I kept on going and they followed. I killed my headlights at one point while ditching them. I’m not sure if I had a machete in the truck.

Im not sure if things have changed but driving at night was a bad idea in general because of what I liked to call the Tico Road Party.
Tactical officers in CR are rarely seen only during the worst of worst criminal acts and theft is still highest crime but drugs use can be a more serious offense and land you more time in slammer then a murderer. Car jacking was big late 90z early '00 specially on Caribbean coast but have not heard much lately and always best to drive in day then night not only for theft but plenty of drunk drivers. Bigger(est) concern is driving during flooding be careful and if not sure stop and turn around and find a room for the night. I almost killed off my wife, son, and brother in law driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo during flooding in a 4 door Toyota starting in the day but soon turned night after normal 4.5 hour drive turned to more like 8 hours :drowning:

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki and Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Tactical officers in CR are rarely seen only during the worst of worst criminal acts and theft is still highest crime but drugs use can be a more serious offense and land you more time in slammer then a murderer. Car jacking was big late 90z early '00 specially on Caribbean coast but have not heard much lately and always best to drive in day then night not only for theft but plenty of drunk drivers. Bigger(est) concern is driving during flooding be careful and if not sure stop and turn around and find a room for the night. I almost killed off my wife, son, and brother in law driving from San Jose to Puerto Viejo during flooding in a 4 door Toyota starting in the day but soon turned night after normal 4.5 hour drive turned to more like 8 hours :drowning:
when I lived there circa 2000 I encountered more than one “roadblock“ manned by tactical officers.

and I’m glad carjacking is no longer a concern just like I’m glad I didn’t have to find out what those motherfuckers who immediately hopped in their truck to pursue me when I didn’t fall for their ruse true intentions were.

Also when I was there nighttime Tico Road parties were all the rage. You’d come around a curve in the newly constructed coastal road and there would be a family barely visible/half on the shoulder having a party in front of their house?

As for flooding you reminded me of the time when I was headed to Uvita to see my chick. River was high but I was too lazy to turn aroun/stocked for some action so I decided I can totally cross it. Next thing I know my headlights are shining underwater like a fucking submarine lol
I forgot if I slowed down to let the “bow wave” subside or sped up, but whatever I chose was the right decision because somehow I made it across.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Anyone flown Jet Blue out of LAX's Tom Bradley and can speak to whether they actually check for more than one board in a bag?
Did you end up flying JetBlue and if so did they check? Planning a trip right now and they're my only option for getting to central america, but I can't imagine going all that way to surf and bringing only one board...

When I flew Delta to/from CA last year, they had a two-board/bag policy but they never checked.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Did you end up flying JetBlue and if so did they check? Planning a trip right now and they're my only option for getting to central america, but I can't imagine going all that way to surf and bringing only one board...

When I flew Delta to/from CA last year, they had a two-board/bag policy but they never checked.
Yes and JetBlue asked, but didn't check. I squeezed both boards with some padding into one day bag and put that into my three board travel bag with an s-ton of additional packaging material and towels. Someone would have to have been pretty determined to get through everything.

I will say that JetBlue was one of the worst airlines I've ever travelled with. One of the last people on board of our departing flight couldn't find any overhead space and this swishy flight attendant grabs my FCS travel backpack that's completely full out of the overhead bin and asks whose it is. When I said it's mine, he puts it on my lap and tells me it's a personal item and has to go under the seat in front of me. I point out that it's 21.5" tall and the limit for personal items is 17", so my bag is in the carry-on dimension range. I get the "sir, if you want to continue arguing about this, I'll ask that you be removed from the plane". My voice was at normal conversation volume and my wife and 15 year old daughter were completely dumfounded why the f-in steward was targeting/baiting me. I didn't say another word and had to endure the almost six hour flight without being able to put my legs out in front of me. I got his name and filed a formal complaint that never went anywhere.

Our direct flight home got cancelled and we were rerouted through Miami where we had to practically sprint a quarter mile to make the connecting flight. We were never compensated for the change despite numerous calls, emails and even a personal visit to the counter at LAX.

Last edited:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Yes and JetBlue asked, but didn't check. I squeezed both boards with some padding into one day bag and put that into my three board travel bag with an s-ton of additional packaging material and towels. Someone would have to have been pretty determined to get through everything.

I will say that JetBlue was one of the worst airlines I've ever travelled with. One of the last people on board of our departing flight couldn't find any overhead space and this swishy flight attendant grabs my FCS travel backpack that's completely full out of the overhead bin and asks who it is. When I said it's mine, he puts it on my lap and tells me it's a personal item and has to go under the seat in front of me. I point out that it's 21.5" tall and the limit for personal items is 17", so my bag is in the carry-on dimension range. I get the "sir, if you want to continue arguing about this, I'll ask that you be removed from the plane". My voice was at normal conversation volume and my wife and 15 year old daughter were completely dumfounded why the f-in steward was targeting/baiting me. I didn't say another word and had to endure the almost six hour flight without being able to put my legs out in front of me. I got his name and filed a formal complaint that never went anywhere.

Our direct flight home got cancelled and we were rerouted through Miami where we had to practically sprint a quarter mile to make the connecting flight. We were never compensated for the change despite numerous calls, emails and even a personal visit to the counter at LAX.
Yiiiiikes. Sorry dude that's rough! Sadly I think they are literally my only option...

Thanks for the data point re: the bag. I figured I'd take a similar strategy of bag in a bag with enough sh!t that going through it at the check-in counter would be a huge hassle.

Reactions: ChaseTMP