Costa Rica resorts within walking distance of waves that are fun on a HPSB

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Iguana. no comparison. Largarta is not on a surf break, and is north of the main town of Playa Guiones. Iguana is an easy walk to the baach. Gilded is l the part of Playa Guiones with restaraunts and stuff to do.
Good to know. Iguana looks much nicer, but close to $400 a night which IMO seems really pricey for Central America.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Good to know. Iguana looks much nicer, but close to $400 a night which IMO seems really pricey for Central America.

Good lord. My how times have changed. I haven't been there since they redid the place. I stayed there 15 years ago with my wife and two kids, ate most of our meals in their restaurant, which was good, kids ordered several smoothies a day each, and my wife and I boozed it up. We were there four nights, and when I got the final bill, it was $440.00 for the room and all the eats and drinks. Four years ago the rooms were $85.00 per night. Bummer.

Check out La Negra surf hotel at Playa Guiones if you are still considering that area.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Good lord. My how times have changed. I haven't been there since they redid the place. I stayed there 15 years ago with my wife and two kids, ate most of our meals in their restaurant, which was good, kids ordered several smoothies a day each, and my wife and I boozed it up. We were there four nights, and when I got the final bill, it was $440.00 for the room and all the eats and drinks. Four years ago the rooms were $85.00 per night. Bummer.

Check out La Negra surf hotel at Playa Guiones if you are still considering that area.
Thanks for the tip! I booked a reservation a room for $172ish a night with breakfast and bend over fees applied.

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
We've stayed in an a few different Air BnB's near La Negra. The north end of town is closest to the best waves on the beach and there's great food close by. Been going to Guiones/Nosara for several years with the family. We all love it. Planning to go back in November.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I haven’t kept an eye on it since I went almost a decade ago, but does Pavones have resorts like the OP asked now?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
We ended up cancelling our La Negra Surf Hotel reservations. My wife was worried that the small amount of rooms didn't give the best opportunity for our 14 year old to make friends to hang out with. We're now doing the JW Marriott between Tamarindo and Avellanas. I'm renting a car for the nine days we're there, so hopefully I can get some waves at Playa Negra.

Anyone flown Jet Blue out of LAX's Tom Bradley and can speak to whether they actually check for more than one board in a bag? They charge $100 each way and that's for one board. I don't want to chance it, since I'm definitely not paying $200 if they check. I don't want to deal with having to have a friend come deal with taking the extra board back if I get the bag opened, but I'd like to bring a normal 5'8" HPSB and my 6' Ghost step-up.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
We ended up cancelling our La Negra Surf Hotel reservations. My wife was worried that the small amount of rooms didn't give the best opportunity for our 14 year old to make friends to hang out with. We're now doing the JW Marriott between Tamarindo and Avellanas. I'm renting a car for the nine days we're there, so hopefully I can get some waves at Playa Negra.

Anyone flown Jet Blue out of LAX's Tom Bradley and can speak to whether they actually check for more than one board in a bag? They charge $100 each way and that's for one board. I don't want to chance it, since I'm definitely not paying $200 if they check. I don't want to deal with having to have a friend come deal with taking the extra board back if I get the bag opened, but I'd like to bring a normal 5'8" HPSB and my 6' Ghost step-up.
My guess is they will check if anybody knows the rules working that day. Sometimes it seems like nobody knows what to charge a surfboard bag at times and they have to go get help to figure it out. Never tried Jet Blue. I always fly Alaska because of a CC for extra miles and cheap board fees. 2 boards in 1 bag they only charge like its an extra piece of luggage but they do look to see if only 2 is in there most cases.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018

Let me know how you like it, you get the deal though costco?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
JW Marriott deal or Jet Blue deal through Costco? I'm a Marriott rewards member, but didn't know of any Costco deals.
The Marriot' last time I was thinking of a trip I took a look at the Costco vacations and it was on there.

Last edited:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
We've stayed in an a few different Air BnB's near La Negra. The north end of town is closest to the best waves on the beach and there's great food close by. Been going to Guiones/Nosara for several years with the family. We all love it. Planning to go back in November.
I was looking at this destination for a solo mission in July, any recommendations on where to stay, airbnb or hotel? I was hoping to be able to walk to fun waves every day, maybe a jungle tour, but mainly just decompress for a few days, and surf warm water. I wasn't really looking to rent a car, are there shuttles from the airport in Liberia to Playa Guiones?

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
We were gonna go down and visit my in laws but it looks like they are having a hard time with covid right now. We canceled our trip from June13th to the 27th.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
We were gonna go down and visit my in laws but it looks like they are having a hard time with covid right now. We canceled our trip from June13th to the 27th.
My wife is starting to worry about our 6/10 - 6/20 plans. The US State Department now list CR as Do Not Travel due to crime. We're supposed to fly in to SJ (it was a lot cheaper than Liberia) and drive a rental car to Tamarindo. I'm not too concerned once we get to the resort, but if some thugs decided to blow one of the tires out on the four hour drive to the hotel and clean us out, it would definitely be hard for my wife and 14 year old daughter to recover from that trauma. I haven't been down there since 1997.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Lol, Costa Rica is safer than the United States. I was just there in December/January. But, seriously stick to the main road because of flash flooding and watch out for crocodiles. My friend had his Nissan Pathfinder get washed away. Petty crime is up because of Covid. There are no street gangs or banditos like you see in the news in Mexico. No guns, you don't see police or security walking around with AKs and shotguns like in all the other central american countries. Keep your doors locked at night. My neighbor got robbed, ie her wallet and phone stolen there for the first time in 10 years of living, but it was also during new years and she had a party at her place so it was likely an inside job. So, i guess just watch out for pick pockets these days.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I felt pretty safe there when I went in December of 1997. I was there with a buddy for almost a month and spent most of my time in Jaco, with a few days in Puerto Viejo to surf Salsa Brava and a few days in Playa Negra (where we got absolutely skunked).

We did manage to get ourselves in several sketchy situations: New Year's Eve house party in BFE outside of Jaco where the girls that invited us had angry ex boyfriends that crashed the party, broke the axle on our rental car diving through the interior to Limón by hitting a car-eating pot hole in torrential rain, croc encounter about 20 minutes south of Play Hermosa and got our rental car absolutely taken apart by Panamanian border officer near Sixaola on the Caribbean side.