Costa Rica - Marriott Guanacaste

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Anyone stay here before? My wife and I got a really good deal (Marriott Family/Friends) for a room in November. Looks like a huge mega resort which is great for my wife and we will probably take our 3 year old son too. I've never been to CR before, but was looking at some stuff online and it looks like there is a good stretch of surf just South of the hotel in the Avellanas area. Any intel on the area would be appreciated.

Apr 18, 2013
Have not stayed there but have ate dinner at one of the restaurants there. I am definitely bringing my family there and staying and using some credit card points for the stay(tip, 5th night free if using points). You and your family will love it. Huge pool for them and you have good breaks within walking distance from the hotel to the south. It doesn't even seem real when you enter the place. But make sure to venture out and not stay in the compound the whole time as it is very sanitized for gringos. Feel free to PM me for more info.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I went there, pretty amazing spot. For surf you have little Hawaii just below the resort, then the river mouth, then avellanas and the stuff south of there. It was flat when I went so I can't tell you much else, i hear little Hawaii is a fun reefbreak. I got stung by a stingray right out in front of the hotel, super annoying. November you wont expect much surf there.

May 1, 2018
Just got back. We were there in April. It's definitely convenient for the wife and family who don't surf. The hotel is great with a giant resort pool, spa and restaurants. There is a small beach out front but most of it is rocky. You can set up other activities (rainforest trip, zip lines) thru the hotel. Like others stated, definitely venture out of the compound and explore so rent a car. Tamarindo is only 25 min drive. We went there for dinner and drinks a few times. The beach bar/restaurant Lola's (playa avellanas) is only a short drive or 20 min walk south from the hotel. I surfed Avellanas most of the time. There are multiple beach break peaks so it never gets too crowded. It was always 3-5 ft glassy in the AM. Little Hawaii reef is just south from the resort in front of the beach club (which you can use).

Jun 11, 2018
I'm traveling to their in July but would rather not pay the $300 round trip surfboard fees on Delta. Are there any places near there to rent decent short boards? I know I can go to Tamarindo, where there are plenty of surf shops, but would prefer to rent from a place near where we are staying.

Apr 18, 2013
There is a surf shop in Playa Negra that rents boards and has some decent boards to rent but Tamagringo really isn't that far away and will have a much better selection of HPSB's. Most of them will let you swap out for different board also so you can swap out for a fish or something if the swell drops. I think rentals are $10-20 a day and cheaper if you rent by the week. Just google tamarindo surf shops to see what they have.

Jan 15, 2015
Been there a couple times... nice place. Aviannas is nice and as mentioned a short walk. A few boulders out there so be aware of what’s underwater.

Another place inside the gate is a small hidden beach north of the resort called Langusta. Nice break with a decent left with the right swell.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
surfy1476 said:
I went there, pretty amazing spot. For surf you have little Hawaii just below the resort, then the river mouth, then avellanas and the stuff south of there. It was flat when I went so I can't tell you much else, i hear little Hawaii is a fun reefbreak. I got stung by a stingray right out in front of the hotel, super annoying. November you wont expect much surf there.
I’ve surfed Avellanas several times in November and it’s been in the waist to head high range....not big or pumping but fun with offshore to glassy conditions.
The rivermouth on the outgoing tide can be special!