Costa Rica in December advice needed

Nov 19, 2010
Thinking of taking family to Costa Rica in December. Haven't been back in 25 years (once i went to Indo that was it for me) but it's closer and more time friendly for my wife and 3 boys. They can all surf, ages 13, 17, 19, so can surf most everywhere down there, except for Caribbean side which we probably wouldn't do anyway.
In any case, we'd love a house on or near the ocean, beach break preferred, decent food in the area, other than that don't need much. We keep it pretty simple and are good at having fun on the fly.
Any advice is greatly appreciated in advance!

Thanks!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
They fuck you over Xmas.

Everything is double. I'm looking at CR too and need a place with short walk or drive to surf. Pool for her. With some shade.

Looking at more money than I want to spend.

Pancakes15

OTF status
Mar 17, 2015
I'd say Nosara or Mal Pais is a good spot for everyone. Fun towns. Good food. Always surf. And its good for beginners. North CR catches North swell too.

Have at it!!!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Carribean side has the waves during November to March Puerto Viejo plenty of places to stay but yes Xmas and Easter most expensive and also most crowded time with kids being off for Summer and families taking time off between Xmas and New Year go to beach. Salsa Brava is not only break beach break called cocles with plenty of places to stay around corner. Also Puerto Vargas easy day trip for hiking and surfing along with Manznilla.

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
nosara and mal pais good call for the fam
Costa has changed a lot in the last 25 yrs
stay away from Jaco and Tamerindo even Domical which I was there 25 yrs ago and just passed through few weeks ago is a total different vibe! wouldn't wanna stay there again, but nearby Uvita is a cool town w some fun family surf waterfalls etc...

But cant go wrong with NOsara!