Costa Rica 4x4 Rental for 1 month

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Taking the fam to Costa Rica (Playa Grande) for a month this summer. There are 5 of us so will need a large SUV 4x4 rental for 1 month. Any suggestions on where to find the best deal/best vehicle? Flying into Liberia...thanks!

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
All much great info on their website, very responsive to email
Cant recommend enough, made my trip hassle free

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
If you're staying around Tamarindo/Playa Grande might not need a 4x4. Thousand a week doesn't sound way out there. Post back what you end up getting(curious)

Reactions: EntropyFletch

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
We wil be travelling around quite a bit and its going to be the rainy season, so I think a 4x4 is mandatory.

Thanks for the link, I emailed them and they found me a better rate, particularly if you remove the insurance which my travel insurance will cover. Now it's more like $3,400 for the month.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Sixt Rent A Car out of Liberia airport. Had no trouble with them, they had a fleet of 4x4 SUVs and trucks, and all the mandatory insurance charges Costa Rica requires and travel insurance won't cover were stated up front online way ahead of time and not bait-and-switched like other providers.

FWIW, we used 4x4 exactly once on the trip, to test it out briefly, before driving easily in 2wd through pouring rain to Pavones and back.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Sixt Rent A Car out of Liberia airport. Had no trouble with them, they had a fleet of 4x4 SUVs and trucks, and all the mandatory insurance charges Costa Rica requires and travel insurance won't cover were stated up front online way ahead of time and not bait-and-switched like other providers.

FWIW, we used 4x4 exactly once on the trip, to test it out briefly, before driving easily in 2wd through pouring rain to Pavones and back.
We got a small 4x4 from Vamos at Liberia. They were very attentive and easy to deal with. Paid like 750 out the door for a week. Not real sure you need 4x4 too. But if you're staying out by Palm Beach estates it might be a good idea. We got one of these little Daihatsu boxes. It'd seat 5. Vamos put surf racks on it before we picked it up.
1678282125670.png

Reactions: EntropyFletch

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think in all the time I spent in CR only needed 4wd twice and had a nice Nissan 6 speed 4wd truck in the coyota region Nicoya. Other time was during rain season on Caribe driving to Puerto Viejo only I had 4 door toyota. Flooded road water went up to my gas and break peddle but still managed to make it some how:drowning:

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I just did 19 days with Adobe rental car thru mytanfeet. Very impressed.

Got a nice 2023 hyundai Tucson (not 4x4, but plenty of clearance which is really whats needed most of the time), cooler, surf racks, and only a $750 credit card hold. Total was only $1144 and they gave me no hassle at all about denying the insurance.

I've been screwed over a few times with CR rentals and mytanfeet/Adobe hooked me up. Super stoked

Reactions: need 4 speed
Mar 2, 2009
I usually rent a small 4x4 suv from Alamo next to the Liberia airport. And it comes out to about $60 a day or less. Before COVID they even had a “Latin America deal” that was 20% off if I remember correctly.